BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an ME880 for the front of my LT. The original BT020 was shot and cupped on both sides. I am not changing my rear as it looks good. I now am told that the front 880 is Bias and the BT020 on the rear is a radial. I called my dealership and was told you can mix the two. Does anyone have any info on this. I am going with my riding buddies next month to New Mexico, Arizona and Utah and do not want to have any trouble. If I have to change the rear, I will do so. The rear has plenty of tread left.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mixing

FYI

Several folks here recently said they have mixed radial and non-radial with acceptable results.

My experience when a dealer put a non-radial on my front while I had a radial on the rear was not so good. I noticed the handling of the bike "felt" a bit "off" for a week after the new tire was installed. I then discovered the error and the dealer replace the front with a radial. My bike was a 2000 K1200.

Mark

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
meaty said:
I just purchased an ME880 for the front of my LT. The original BT020 was shot and cupped on both sides. I am not changing my rear as it looks good. I now am told that the front 880 is Bias and the BT020 on the rear is a radial. I called my dealership and was told you can mix the two. Does anyone have any info on this. I am going with my riding buddies next month to New Mexico, Arizona and Utah and do not want to have any trouble. If I have to change the rear, I will do so. The rear has plenty of tread left.
Hi, Mike - been awhile since we met last. Can't even think where it wuz - Port Lavaca RTE with Paul Yeager, maybe??

Anyway, the top thread in the "similar threads" list below has some good discussions on mixing tire style, brands and so forth. Or, you can click here for a start. I guess there are folks who are on either side of the fence on this one. Me, I just want one less thang to think about when riding and so I stay with same brand/ply front and back. Darn thangs are sure getting expensive tho --- good luck in which ever way you decide to go!! Take care.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts