BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my rear BT020 changed for a Metz (880?). Not my choice, but probably a good idea in the weather I was riding in last summer.
Bikes been off the road all winter but the front is due for a change and I was wondering if anyone here regularly runs BT020s front and Metz rear.
I am planning on going to the 021s ASAP, but not till I have seen feedback from a few people 1st. I am planning on some grueling touring this year and am not in the mood to be a 'tester'!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I did just the opposite for a time, while I waited for my BT on the back to wear out. No issues.

FWIW: I prefer the 880 on the front, seems to handle grooved pavement surfaces a lot better. 880 on the back has bever broken loose on me as some have reported.

Here we go... It's now another tire thread! :)

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I bought the Metz for my front with a half worn BT on the rear.

I got tired of changing two front tires to one on the rear.

Bob

·
Registered
577 Posts
I also did the front Metz change at 4800 mi. Bridge on the rear.

did not noticed any adverse handling issues. have ridden in all types of conditions and have not felt out of control. First metz changed with 25K miles on tire. first rear changed during 18K service (bridge 16800 miles) Second rear changes in Eugene OR at 30K service. still had some tread left, but was returning cross country with SO and wanted good tire on ride.

maintained 42 psi front and 48 psi rear

Now have Metzler on both Front and rear

to be clear I only had the mix Metz front and Bridge rear during the first 16800 miles. after that both have been Metzler 880's

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I personally would not, since they have quite different handling properties. I would hate to have one end braking loose before the other. It may be ok, I just don't want to be the one finding out that it is not...

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
c00k1e said:
Had my rear BT020 changed for a Metz (880?). Not my choice, but probably a good idea in the weather I was riding in last summer.
Bikes been off the road all winter but the front is due for a change and I was wondering if anyone here regularly runs BT020s front and Metz rear.
I am planning on going to the 021s ASAP, but not till I have seen feedback from a few people 1st. I am planning on some grueling touring this year and am not in the mood to be a 'tester'!
Generally you can say that Bias Ply and radials don't mix. The 021 is NOT loadrated for the LT.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure if this still holds true with all the new developments to tires and the technology of the tire. All the way back to the '70's I've was told to never mix tire types. You will get a different ride (which I've found to be true). I would stick to the same tire in front as in back.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Teh advice I've heard from a MC tire engineer -- never mix manufacturers or bias and radial.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts