BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we don't have the email delivery of posts working just yet, but we do have an alternative. I have just completed a modification to the RSS Feed capability to offer RSS delivery of all forums to you as individual messages.

If you have a Mail program that handles RSS Feeds (like Mozilla Thunderbird) or an RSS Feed Reader (like FeedDemon), you can now skim many threads without navigating through the site.

RSS Feed Readers:

Windows: FeedDemon - http://www.bradsoft.com/feeddemon/index.asp
FYI: RSS Feed capability will be in Internet Explorer 7.0

Mac OS X: Vienna - http://www.opencommunity.co.uk/vienna2.html
FYI: Safari (10.4+ only) handles RSS Feeds by default.

I am using Thunderbird to get RSS Feeds and it works pretty well. Not quite as well as individual email, but it does allow you to skim a lot of information in a very short period of time.

The link for the RSS Feed is on the main home page at http://www.bmwlt.com (look for the RSS Boards logo)

·
Old Dawg
3,287 Posts
Funny, I actually sent a bunch of NorCal people the link to Feed Demon last week that were asking me at HDDC about an easy way to keep up with post. I have been using it a long time and it ROCKS. I think everyone should at least try RSS, it is an easy to use way to keep up on all kinds of web pages in a very organized way.
FYI, the new version of Windows next year (Vista) will support RSS.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
bobaltic said:
I'm using RSSOwl and it works reasonably well also. Do miss the emails though. Many thanks for your efforts....Best, Bob
I'm sort of interested in using RSSOwl. The home site says it's a java app and specifies no browser requirement. Does it use or interact with a browser.. If I can use FireFox (if a browser is needed) I might consider giving this a whirl. I don't use Internet Exploder for anything except two apps in my company that will only run with ActiveX. :(

Currently I don't like the restricted topic categories were are using now. Takes too long to make a quick look at the topics.. or maybe I just don't have time to play with the options of this new software. Overall I think the new software has lots of advantages but I don't have the time to seek them out now.. maybe some snowy afternoon.. ;)

·
Old Dawg
3,287 Posts
You do not need a browser to read RSS feeds.

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am using Thunderbird to read the RSS feeds. Looks just like email.

Firefox will also read RSS feeds using "Live Links". It's not as easy as using Thunderbird.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Thanks for all the work Jeff!

I am going to give FeedReader a go - I think this may be a good way to keep up with things during the day when I am suppossed to be working.. ;-)

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
eljeffe said:
Firefox will also read RSS feeds using "Live Links". It's not as easy as using Thunderbird.
That is all I needed.. maybe I will download tomorrow or over the weekend..

Thanks..

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
eljeffe said:
If you have a Mail program that handles RSS Feeds (like Mozilla Thunderbird) or an RSS Feed Reader (like FeedDemon), you can now skim many threads without navigating through the site.
Well, I installed RSSOwl and it looks pretty good but... I get this error message when I direct it at www.bmwlt.com

" or "/>".">This file is no a valid XML File. Error on line 338: Element type "a" must be followed by either attribute specifications, ">" or "/>".

in fact when I select it directly from from the www.bmwlt.com page with my FireFox browser I get the same error..

If I use Internet Exploder I don't get the error message.

I am using FireFox 1.0.7

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Jeff, Not quite understanding how this RSS works I did not know how to direct the RSS news feed. I see that if I copy the link from the BMWLT RSS logo I get that same link you posted. Then when I direct RSSOwl at that link it works... :)

Now I need to figure out how to use this new toy.. :cool:

·
Registered
217 Posts
jackd said:
I'm sort of interested in using RSSOwl. The home site says it's a java app and specifies no browser requirement. Does it use or interact with a browser.. If I can use FireFox (if a browser is needed) I might consider giving this a whirl. I don't use Internet Exploder for anything except two apps in my company that will only run with ActiveX. :(

Currently I don't like the restricted topic categories were are using now. Takes too long to make a quick look at the topics.. or maybe I just don't have time to play with the options of this new software. Overall I think the new software has lots of advantages but I don't have the time to seek them out now.. maybe some snowy afternoon.. ;)
Doesn't seem to use a browser, opens a browser window with in Owl to view the actual article. Pretty handy. I just scan the first few lines and then double click to open the article. Hope this helps....Bob

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Actually I like RSSOwl. pretty easy on the eyes and works just like a browser. The only thing I don't get to do is use the spell check. Unless I have a config option set wrong I can use anything like a popup that the spellcheck seems to resemble.

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have updated the URL for the RSS Feed.

Code:
 http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/new_external.php?type=rss2&postlen=FULL&qty=100&bbcode=PARSE&html=YES
Make sure you update your feed to reflect the new changes

·
Registered
432 Posts
O.k., so I go to RSSOWL.org, and click on <download>. That takes me to a screen with a list of mostly undecipherable(to me) files. What then?

Buck Wilmerding
San Diego

·
Old Dawg
3,287 Posts
Use this one: rssowl_win32_1_1_3.exe (Windows Installer)

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
eljeffe said:
I have updated the URL for the RSS Feed.

Make sure you update your feed to reflect the new changes
Mine worked the way it was...??? but I updated it.. :confused:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Scott,

I don't see: rssowl_win32_1_1_3.exe (Windows Installer)

Do you mean this one:

rssowl_1_2_RC1_win32.exe 12-Oct-2005 10:07 4.8M

Buck

·
Old Dawg
3,287 Posts
Buck if you go to this page:

http://www.rssowl.org/download?PHPSESSID=6ff9659bcd04543146bd7fe0786be1a7

You will see the following (I have only copied part of the page just so you are clear on what I am seeing:

Windows
Linux
Mac OS X
Solaris

·
Registered
432 Posts
Scott,

O.k., 2 different download buttons. I was using the one here:
RSSOwl 1.2 Release Candidate 1 available

Submitted by bpasero on Wed, 2005-10-12 16:31.
I am quite happy to announce the first release candidate of upcoming RSSOwl 1.2!
Check out some of the cool new features:
  • Fully customizable Toolbar with new elements like 'History'
  • New Search Scopes allow for more detailed searches
  • Cool new look for the HTML Export of News
  • Quick-Filter added to Preferences Dialog to quickly find settings
  • Switch on 'Linked Mode' to update selection in your Favorites automatically
  • Improved Feed-Search and Feed-Discovery
  • Support for Atom 1.0 Format
Download: http://www.rssowl.org/dl/Integration_Build/
Changelog: http://www.rssowl.org/dl/Integration_Build/changes_in_1_2.txt

The final release is planned for mid of november. If you encounter any bug, please directly let me know via mail. Thanks!
Ben
2 comments

Thanks for the help. I'll try it out.

Buck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts