BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a new small oil drip and traced it to the lower engine area, in font of oil filter cover plate, and below the oil pressure sending unit. Camera is laying on the floor. Top of pic is towards front wheel. The coolant temp temp sender is clearly seen on the upper right. Moving to the upper left of photo and slightly to the lower right of the oil sender, is a hole. I don't think it takes a screw, but does it? The drip appeared to be coming from directly inside the hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Tom;

I'm not showing a bolt there on mine.............maybe I'll need to start looking for leaks......haven't lost any oil over the winter.........

River here is starting to open up and boy have I got some flys tied........ ;)

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
That is an alignment hole, no bolt. Leak could be the o-ring for filter cover or gasket on the drain plug or gasket on oil sump pan... The wind from a ride pushes that oil all around.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sperra and New2rt, thank you both. I haven't changed that o ring in quite a while, so it could be. Now Palerider, thank you too, but yours is supposed to have a bolt in it. So this spring, while you're doing nothing, just have the wife (while you oversee) drill it, thread it , and get that bolt in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts