BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, have I lost a bolt from my exhaust shield? My friends LT also appears to be missing the same bolt, was it ever there? I noticed it when I was cleaning my bike the other week, the exhaust shield moved when I pressed against it. I seem to have a 'tinny' sounding rattle but I can't tell where it's coming from.

Would you mind taking a look at your bike, is the bolt missing and does the shield move a bit?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yes there is supposed to be bolt there. Last year I noticed the one on mine was loose. Now it is something I check on a regular basis.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tony, I'll get my dealer to order one. :)

BTW I'm finding the forum incredibly slow today, is it just me?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Nope thats for the rubber bump stop it keeps the centrestand tfrom rattling metal on metal

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Axle, that's further forward, the rubber stop is there on my bike. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
ok sorry bit hard to tell the little bugger come off mine years ago

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
arrrg!!! dont mind me its 11.06pm on friday night bad light and yeah there is a little bolt under there possible a torx its too dark to see so with that I'm off to bed :wave

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just took a look at mine. It appears to be a flat (wide) head sheet metal type screw. Torx T15 fits in the one that's there on mine.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info rmcclure, does it have a spacer between the shield and the exhaust? I should have asked that earlier.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mine doesn't have a spacer, but the head of the screw is flatter and wider than a standard sheet metal screw, kind of like it contains its own flange. Possibly if you experiment with some screws you have on hand for the right diameter and pitch, you may be able to get something at a local fastener outlet, although you may prefer to keep it all BMW. By the way, I got this bike when it had about 90,000 km on it already, so I can't say for sure if that is original, although it looks like it would be.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
It's called a stop buffer. Mine is also missing.

HTH,
Jer

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Hummm. Wonder if this missing bolt thing is contagious. Took a look this morning before taking a ride... Bolt is gone. :(

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine too.........

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Sounds like an opportunity to buy in bulk, or maybe something to hand out as door prizes at the next CCR...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts