BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have lost my 4th mirror. My wife is getting upset that that will be $800 in mirror replacement. The last 2 were tethered.
I was wonder if I am the only one with this problem?
I was also hoping someone out there might have and extra right side mirror, or both sides for a better price.
I have a 2000 Basalt Gray LT. I will take any color just to save the money and maybe paint later. If the price is right, a pair of crome?
Beemer Boneyard has not got back with me.
I may, just have to break down and order a new one?

Regards,
Phillip Blackstone
25041 Alpha Street
Moreno Valley, Ca. 92557

[email protected]
951-924-6503
909-260-2801-cell
www.scbmwrc.com
MOA-108877
AMA-806403
IBA-27165

·
Registered
654 Posts
What happened to the 2 that were tethered?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I lost one pretty quick, then tethered them with commercial tethers from A & S Cycles. You could easily make your own tethers from materials @Home Depot or Ace. Also removed as much grease as I could from mounting pins and this seems to help keep 'em on. Moreno Valley? Wow. I lived there when it was still Sunnymead. Best of luck.
2005 LT

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
Actually you WANT a good layer of grease as this helps the wires slide completely over the pins to give maximum grip. A dry wire will not go fully over the pin. The second thing is you want to have a visible gap around the mount as any body contact will also reduce the grip. Not as pretty when it is up close and personal but it will stay on better. Add washers to the pins to increase the clearance. Make sure there are no cracks in the plastic where the wires are imbedded.

·
Registered
401 Posts
right mirror,

There is a right mirror on EBay.....

·
Registered
389 Posts
After using the commercially available wire tethers, and having them break, I resorted to heavy duty wire ties. I tether the mirrors to the hole in the body created by the vertical metal piece towards the front of the housing and loop the tie through the hole on the back of the mirror. Don't pull the wire tie too tight, or the mirror won't sit well. Even if it's loose, they should just dangle and not fall off and break. Hope this helps in the future. Right now, I have no extra mirrors to offer.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I lost mine (left side after hitting a huge pot hole). I had it tethered with steel fishing leader, I thought was good enough but it just snapped it too.

I bought real tethers and new shocks! :dance:

·
Registered
353 Posts
mwnahas said:
I lost mine (left side after hitting a huge pot hole). I had it tethered with steel fishing leader, I thought was good enough but it just snapped it too.

I bought real tethers and new shocks! :dance:

You mean you did not have to buy a new mirror

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I don't think this was answered but I have almost 45,000 and no problems with the mirrors escaping. Zip ties are what I use, just in case.
My wrench says:
1. Grease the 3 wire lock points
2. Make sure the 3 pins are positioned so the mirror has a uniform gap all the way around
3. Make sure all 3 locking points are engaged properly
4. Zip tie with one that is large enough to withstand an escape attempt
Just my .02

·
Registered
258 Posts
Phil,

Why do you need mirrors? Rumor has it your out of riding? Or is it just with those people from SCBMWRC?

Anyway, I have 70K on my '02 LT and tethered the mirrors with nylon covered stainless steel 7 strand wire when new. The wire cam from a sporting goods store fishing department. It's used as leader line for "shark fishing" and has a 300# break strength. I simply used a lead parallel wire crimp and the quick release swivels used for fishing hooks as the disconnect. I've never had a failure and I 've done 500+ miles of dirt, gravel and chip seal on the haul road to Prudo Bay Alaska. I've had a mirror bound off the balls once or twice, but I never lost one to the hard earth. Bring your bike over sometime and I'll build you a set. I Just did Tom Hooper's new LT and I still have plenty of material to build more.

That is of course assuming your still talking to us?

LTmagic

·
Registered
226 Posts
old1951 said:
Phil,

Why do you need mirrors? Rumor has it your out of riding? Or is it just with those people from SCBMWRC?

Anyway, I have 70K on my '02 LT and tethered the mirrors with nylon covered stainless steel 7 strand wire when new. The wire cam from a sporting goods store fishing department. It's used as leader line for "shark fishing" and has a 300# break strength. I simply used a lead parallel wire crimp and the quick release swivels used for fishing hooks as the disconnect. I've never had a failure and I 've done 500+ miles of dirt, gravel and chip seal on the haul road to Prudo Bay Alaska. I've had a mirror bound off the balls once or twice, but I never lost one to the hard earth. Bring your bike over sometime and I'll build you a set. I Just did Tom Hooper's new LT and I still have plenty of material to build more.

That is of course assuming your still talking to us?

LTmagic

How about a photo?

I live in L.A. and go to San Diego about once a month. Will you build me a set if I drop by? I'll help with your computer if you need it (I'm a certified tech).

m

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
Making sure the mirrors are mounted correctly with an even gap as described is important, as is making sure the plastic isn't broken near the front wire clips.

If you're going to use tethers, make sure they are strong, mounted securely, and don't interfere with the mirror's normal fit.

Another option is to use a screw as described in this post. A sheet metal screw works, or maybe a plastic screw so the mirrors will stay on normally, but break off if they hit something directly. Just be sure whoever removes the mirrors for service knows about those screws. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
I did the zip tie tether AND the sheet metal screw mod. I don't know why though, I have never had a mirror break away before. :rolleyes: I guess I read too much of this addictive site and thought it a good idea. :confused: Especially since I was planning a cross Canada trip :( and I don't plan to do any lane splitting. :) I didn't get to complete the cross Canada trip and the lane splitting is still a no no. Guess what, I still haven't lost a mirror. :cool:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Not all wire ties the same

neodoc said:
After using the commercially available wire tethers, and having them break, I resorted to heavy duty wire ties. I tether the mirrors to the hole in the body created by the vertical metal piece towards the front of the housing and loop the tie through the hole on the back of the mirror. Don't pull the wire tie too tight, or the mirror won't sit well. Even if it's loose, they should just dangle and not fall off and break. Hope this helps in the future. Right now, I have no extra mirrors to offer.
For everyone using or considering using plastic cable straps, wire ties, whatever ya wanna call 'em, make sure you're using a decent product. Many of the grab bag plastic ties have a tensile strength of 30-40 lbs or less. Make sure you get something like the Thomas & Betts Ty-Rap or the Panduit Dome-Top Barb Ty BT3LH-TL0, which have a metal barb, a tensile strength of 120 lb, and are made from weather-resistant Nylon 6.6. If you can't find this at your local big box, then your local electrical supply store will have it. T&B has a 175-lb tensile strength Nylon 6.6 tie, but the smallest length is 35", so you'll have plenty to trim off.

By the time you get one of those mirrors to generate a 120 or 175-lb shock load, you're probably breaking something else on the bike too.

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
And NEVER use those cheap, white zip ties, right Joe? ALWAYS use the quality black ones. :D

(The white ones aren't UV-resistant and will deteriorate if used outside.)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I like the idea of the sheet metal screw, but I have this horrific image of taking the bike to the dealer for service and having them try to pop off a mirror for whatever reason... then hitting it a little harder, then again and suddenly removing a chunk of fairing! (As meese mentions.)

·
Registered
688 Posts
I just lost my first mirrow. LH. Hit a pothole, had a heavy gage fishing lead with compression fittings, then screwed on both ends. Looks like the impact made the wire slip out of the compression fitting. If any one has a LH available, LMK.

Ultra LT

·
Registered
61 Posts
Warranty replacement

My dealer replaced both my '05 mirrors under warranty. One fell off due to a pothole. The other had a broken inner bracket next to one of the spring clip. Don't forget to keep the springs and bolt heads lubed and use the heaviest zip ties that will fit in the housing.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Make sure when you put the mirrows back on you don't pound on them or you will break the plastic around the spring clips. After breaking both of mine the dealer showed me the correct method of using leaverage to snap them into place, all good since.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts