BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 99 LT I bought used had the mirrors with turn indicators in them and they have been getting so lose the image is very shaky. Then today one fell off while riding at highway speeds over some bumps in the road, twice in fact, the first time the wring to the lights held it on till I could pull over, the next time a gust of wind pulled the connector lose and off went the mirror (being on an interstate there was no chance of going back..) When I got home I looked at the other one and it popped off the adjustment ring pretty easy ( wasn't even really trying to remove it in fact, it just popped off) and doesn't seem real sturdy when re-attached. Do the mirrors (Just the glass, not the housing) on the LT just get lose like this, is it the snaps on the mirror or the ring they clip on to that wears? I'm assuming that I am snapping the mirrors back on right, but it sure seems like it should be lots tighter. I did note the ring they attach to seems to have two raised ridges running around the outer surface, should the clips on the mirror clip over the second ridge? Also the aftermarket ones I have only have 4 sets of clips, one at each 90 Deg. angle, do the stock mirrors have move clips and stay on any better?

I'm not going to pay out the bucks for ones with turn indicators because of cost, but wonder if those are more prone to the mirror glass getting lose over time?

Thanks

RM

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
That has been an issue with the Muth mirriors, they just don't stay attached like the BMW standard mirrors do. Just replace them with the BMW glass and you'll be fine. Also, pop the mirror housing and make sure that you have teathers back there. The full mirror housing has been known to come off on hard bumps.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Muth has a round self-adhesive spacer available, that can be placed, so that the extra movement that appears over time is eliminated, but even those spacers over time tend to compress and the looseness returns.. I have one that is becoming very loose right now and will most likely just install the spacer and pop the glass back on..

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
You might also want to put a dab of grease on each of the mounting posts. That helps the springs get fully seated on the post.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all, I suspected that the Muth mirrors might not clip on as firmly as stock, personally I could care less about the blinking turn signals in the mirrors, the bike has them in the case side lights and lower wind deflector as well as the stock ones. I think I might add some tethers to the mirror glass and the housing already have them installed.

RM

·
Registered
407 Posts
Every time I see a mirror thread I try and think of all the reasons I don't like these mirrors.

1. They are too low.
2. You can't see directly behind you.
3. They always seem to need adjusting and you can kill yourself trying while riding.
4. They fall off too easy and break even easier.
5. They are impossible to fix and cost too much to replace.

I installed a set of RS mirrors on the bars and love them. Even though I don't use the factory mirrors I had one fly off after a tight squeeze with some tall road cones and it cost me $100.00 for the glass (Muth) and the plastic around one of the clips is broken and the mirror wobbles without something jammed into the side. Not to mention I had to run down the road in traffic looking for the damned thing after it fell off. (Now tethered) If someone made a nice cover for the factory mirror area I would take them off completely. Any entrepreneurs out there?

Love the LT though :)

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
+1 on covers.

I wish someone would come up with a cover to snap on as the mirrors. Mine would be gone also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts