BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a search on the subject and found some very useful hints on how to repair my fix. I want to take the mirror a part so I can clean it up for the epoxy.

My problem is that after reading the" how to" on the removal of the actual mirror from the body, I'm still unsure how this is done, this is from my search....

you will pop off the original mirror glass by using a wide flat bladed screw driver, gently insert that behind the lip of the mirror and pry the mirror glass piece off of the old mirror cup. I would suggest either over the bed or at least a folded towel.
So what actually holds the mirror to the mirror body? do you work the screwdriver around the mirror? the last thing I want to do is break a mirror. ( I have enough bad luck as it is)

All advise is greatly appreciated....

Here is a pic of my break.....

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I have found a metal spatula works. You still might break a mirror, my luck is about 20%.

You then will be able to see how it is held on. For sure you want to do this while it is over some sort of padding. When it pops off, it's a surprise.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Go to the “ BMWLT.com Community Archives” and search mirror, there are several ways to disassemble the mirrors without removing the glass from it’s base

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I t is very easy to put a #6 nylon bolt into the mirror to hold it on the bike. Still a hole into the metal plate behind the mirror, thread the hole for the not and you are done. No disassembly required. The bolt will break an allow the mirror to pop off. I think I posted a how to. The bolt is not visible when in place.

Loren

1 - 4 of 4 Posts