BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way to work this morning I noticed that my right side mirror vibrates more than the left. It's enough that it even makes a very audible rattle when idling. I can still see enough out of it to be functional but just wondering if it is something that happens regularly or not.

I popped the mirror/case off but can't really see how to access the interior to find out if a bolt is loose.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
The bolts are on the fairing body (the three gold ones) and they fit into three spring loaded clips on the mirror. One of the clips may have broken.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you'll look closely at the ends of the three spring clips on the rear of your mirror, you may see that a portion of the retaining piece of plastic is missing. That was my experience. That piece is on the opposite end of the spring clip where the clip is rounded... the other ends are embedded into the mirror body. The piece keeps that portion of the clip in place around the rounded head of the three retaining screws. If it is broken, as was in my case, the mirror can easily move away from the fairing, ending with vibration in the mirror.

I used JB Weld for a fix on mine. Worked for awhile, but broke off when I was reinstalling the mirrors after taking off the Tupperware again for the umpteenth time for installation of a CB/Intercom. So... I bit the bullet and ordered a new Mirror Cup for the right side. It's not that expensive, as BMW parts go, and took about 30 minutes to take apart the mirror and reinstall the new cup part.

If you do that or anytime you are reinstalling the mirrors, I'd suggest a dab of grease on the balls of the three screws to help get the spring clips around them and seated good.

Good luck with the fix.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As always guys...thanks for the help. It's definitely worth it to donate to this website. I've saved a lot of $$$ already.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Study the break carefully. I was able to fix mine with a drill bit and a zip strip. Still holding after two years. Notice the red adhesive along the edge. It's 3M #800 available at your local appliance repair shops. Also keep the retainer balls well greased to prevent this type of break in the future.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
My '99 has its clips still intact, but the plastic is not in the greatest shape, so I also get vibration on the right side mirror. I inserted a strip of black foam between the mirror and the mating plastic from the top to the bottom edge. Looks fine and puts enough pressure on the mirror to stop the vibration. I also have black tie-wraps as tethers. Haven't had them pop off since and it's been over a year of riding.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
338 Posts
I too had similar problems. The plastic area that hold the spring clips can crack easily and the clip can begin to move around. I used automotive goop-sold in a tube to reenforce that area and it's been holding ever since. This is a cheap fix.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Big Geo - Bet it was/is the entire mirror vibrating. If only the mirror vibrated, that would mean either it was partially separated from the circular adjustment piece or that the adjustment piece was loose. Can't see the three long screws coming loose from inside to loosen that adjustment piece. In my case I could reach up and put my right index finger where it would touch the fairing of the LT and the mirror and could feel the movement.

Seems like a pretty flimsy way to attach the mirror to the bike, but they were thinking of a way to easily detach it for service and better to knock one off moving the bike around than to crack either the mirror or the fairing in that area. Most of us have devised a tether internally in the mirror to keep them from hitting the floor or the highway in case they decide to exit the bike.

Since putting mine on a couple of days ago it's rock solid at speed and I think the chrome dresses up even old '99.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts