BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I’m trying to get use to the new RT fairing mirrors coming from a GS Adv...just not working...I have the ilium bareback risers installed...but I thinking I may have taken away any hope for aftermarket tall mirrors...any success stories on better mirrors, or just try to get use to Oem...
Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
While the RT mirrors could be adjusted to give a fair view of what was beside and behind me, I didn't like having to move my eyes so far from the road in front of me. So, I installed these:
Mirror Adapter Set
When I placed the mirror on the adapters, they were too close to the windshield so I added these: Amazon.com: Motorcycle Mirrors Extension Brackets Adapter Compatible with BMW R1200GS LC/Adventure 2013-2018, R nineT / R1200R 15-17: Automotive
I used this mirror: Amazon.com: KiWAV Magazi Motorcycle Mirrors Aluminum Oval Black Compatible with BMW M10 x 1.5 Adapters: Automotive (If you look closely you'll see what looks like a verticle split in the mirrors...that is the wide angle mirror on the outside. These are outstanding mirrors both functionally and optically)

Like you, I have the Illium bar backs and the mirrors mount beside them, not on them. By the way, all of the mirror connections...the mount, extender and mirror have been rock solid on my bike for over a year and a half. I have the original mirrors pushed all of the way to the outside for use as a side mirror and the new mirrors set primarily for what's behind me, although they're pretty good for the sides too.)

The setup looks like this :

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other question, what year is your RT?..mine is the 20, wonder if that makes a difference? Because where you have the left hand adapter, I have my aux light switch....but you gave me some great thoughts...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine is an '18. When you read the product description, there is a caveat about models with the Aux lights switch.
It reads:
Please Note: If your RT has auxiliary lights and a switch on the left side perch, then this adapter set will not work because there is no provision for the switch. Instead, you will need 1 X 3272971 and 1 X 3272366. Please see the Related Products below.
You'll just have to find those products instead of the one I listed above.

BTW, do you live in Rough & Ready, CA?

·
Registered
76 Posts
You've probably been here a few times... : - ) I'm east of Sacramento and ride in your area often. Good luck with the mirrors. I couldn't do without mine!

Reactions: MBevans

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've had the Hercules mirrors and they worked great on my '14 RTW and '17 RTW. Great coverage and they almost look OEM. I tend to use them as my primary mirrors rather than the stock mirrors. (pictures are from the '14)

Attachments

·
Registered
906 Posts
You do realize you can use the GS control clamps that would do the same as the wunderlich product? And I think the GS part looks better as no holes in the front. I installed them on my RT in order to mount Ram balls.

·
Registered
906 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You do realize you can use the GS control clamps that would do the same as the wunderlich product? And I think the GS part looks better as no holes in the front. I installed them on my RT in order to mount Ram balls.
Thanks,,,,except my RT has its auxiliary light switch there on the left...may work on the right though...what year is yourRT?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Mine is a 2016 RT.

They are basically the same as the Wunderlich adapters.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Ok, thanks...sure would have been easier for bmw to keep the mirrors on the bars...
Yes but look at it like this .... it is greatly improved over the prior version RT :p

They were much worse on my '06 for sure.

On my '06 I added bar end mirrors which worked really well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, thought of bar ends....just probably need to get use to the Rt coming from my GS...sure do like the bike though...time in the saddle...

·
Cat Herder
1,460 Posts

I use these standard mirror clamps. I have a valentine on the right and a ram grip for my phone on the left side. Get any mirrors that you can and screw them in.

·
Cat Herder
1,460 Posts
View attachment 171010

I use these standard mirror clamps. I have a valentine on the right and a ram grip for my phone on the left side. Get any mirrors that you can and screw them in.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts