BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 LT and every time the bike gets wet the lense covering the radio readout gets whitish water stains and looks like crap. BMW dropped the ball on this one big time. It doesn't matter how the bike gets wet, rain, washing anything make the thing look terrible. My dealer is aware of the issue and says it is BMW's position that it is acid rain. Another cop-out from the manufacturer.

I am not not another anti BMW guy... this is my 3rd BMW and I keep coming back. This is clearly NOT an acid rain issue as none of the other plastic is affected.

So... Here are my question(s):
1. What is good to clean it and protect it.
I use Cee Bailey windshield cleaner, but it does not protect it the next time it gets wet.
2. is there something I could cover the lense with that might help?

When you get a new VCR, Cell phone etc., there is that thin membrane of plastic / mylar that you peel off. Might that work?

3. Has anyone had any luck taking on BMW over this?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Go to your local Lowes and buy a small container of denatured alcohol in the paint department. Using a q-tip....clean the radio window, trying not to get it on the black plastic around it. It usually lasts quite a while before reappearing. ( several washes or rain rides)

Make sure you use only denatured alcohol!

HTH,

Ron

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have done what some others have recommended and obtained a sheet of 3M clear sheeting used for protecting paint,(usually available at better auto stores). Once clean, I made a template to make a pattern. However if I were to do it again I believe I would cut a piece slightly larger than needed, stick it on and trim carefully to fit with an exacto knife. No more problems.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Hey, Dave - stand by.

Shawn, did that clear film stuff I sent ya work on your radio display? Yes or no either way, Dave; here's what I did.

Got a teensy bit of de-natured alcohol from my local pharmicist and rubbed the radio window 'til all the milky white disappeared. Then I dried it real good with a low-heat hair dryer (the one I use for my coif!! :cool: ). Then I rough traced the outline of the window, keeping the border about an 1/8" or so larger than the window. Then I cut around this trace and applied that to the backing of the clear, protective film that I use around the casa. Cut the film; remove the backing and press the clear film over the radio window. Then, with an Xacto knife, I trimmed to fit. Took a credit card and 'over' worked the film to get all the air bubbles out to the edge and poof. Never any cloudiness since then and that's been over 6 years ago. I also applied this stuff to the GPS unit's window, and to Toad's headlight lens.

I can't remember where I bought the stuff last time, it's been long ago. I bought a 60' roll of it and piece-gifted most of it out. It wuz under the name of 'Ricochet' and made in Canada. If you wanna try a piece, I think I've got just enough left to cover the radio window. Lemme know and we'll continue this discussion off-list.

Shawn, you still there??

davek1 said:
I have an '03 LT and every time the bike gets wet the lense covering the radio readout gets whitish water stains and looks like crap. BMW dropped the ball on this one big time. It doesn't matter how the bike gets wet, rain, washing anything make the thing look terrible. My dealer is aware of the issue and says it is BMW's position that it is acid rain. Another cop-out from the manufacturer.

I am not not another anti BMW guy... this is my 3rd BMW and I keep coming back. This is clearly NOT an acid rain issue as none of the other plastic is affected.

So... Here are my question(s):
1. What is good to clean it and protect it.
I use Cee Bailey windshield cleaner, but it does not protect it the next time it gets wet.
2. is there something I could cover the lense with that might help?

When you get a new VCR, Cell phone etc., there is that thin membrane of plastic / mylar that you peel off. Might that work?

3. Has anyone had any luck taking on BMW over this?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Dick said:
Hey, Dave - stand by.

Shawn, did that clear film stuff I sent ya work on your radio display? ....
Shawn, you still there??
Can't say for sure Dick.... Be a lack of rain until last nights boomers...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Polishing Compound

Dave,

I had the same problem on my 02 LT and my wife's 04 CLC. I rubbed it with some very fine polishing compound and it came out great and has stayed clear for several months. Specifically, it was GS27 Scratch Remover that I bought from a TV ad for removing scratches in auto paint. I would think any very fine polishing compound would work. I know, there are products made specifically for polishing scratches in plexiglass aircraft windows. There is a web site for the stuff I bought that turns out to be in French. It's www.gs27.com.

Good Luck

Les

·
Registered
27 Posts
Milky Radio Lens

I just love this site. I get lots of great info on everything. I'm a fairly new member and never post but I had to this time. Being a Painter, I was a little leery about putting denatured alcohol on plastic, so I decided I would do it as a last resort.What I did use with great success was Tilex, you know the bathroom tile cleaner. Cleaned right off with no scrubbing, only a wipe.I thought the problem was on the inside of the lens. Thanks for the great info and I look forward to reading and posting again.
Ricky M.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
rickym said:
I just love this site. I get lots of great info on everything. I'm a fairly new member and never post but I had to this time. Being a Painter, I was a little leery about putting denatured alcohol on plastic, so I decided I would do it as a last resort.What I did use with great success was Tilex, you know the bathroom tile cleaner. Cleaned right off with no scrubbing, only a wipe.I thought the problem was on the inside of the lens. Thanks for the great info and I look forward to reading and posting again.
Ricky M.
Yehbutt .... Ricky, your radio stingray is gonna start smellin' like a stadium john. Sheesh!!! :eek: Better pick up some of them deoderizin' hang-ups from the autozone shoppe!! :D

J/K Ricky - that's a great suggestion and one that I don't think we've had before. I can't test the longevity of that fix, cuz mine won't cloud over, butt lettuce know if you ever have to repeat the process. Everybody has Tilex under the sink, right?? Butt no denatured alcohol.

Thanks for sharing, Ricky. Hope it solves a lotta folks cloudy lens problem. Sure sounds like an eazy fix.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah Ricky this site is just awesome! This is my third week as an '03 LT owner and I have learned so much. Your Tilex suggestion was "spot" on. My display was totally unreadable, but after applying the Tilex it was perfectly clear. Thanks for the great tip as I didn't want to have to go shoping for the alcohol.

'Preciate it bud,
Labman

·
Registered
439 Posts
Winshile cleaner and wax

I used Wind shield cleaner and wax (ever Kleen from Black labs)on mine and it has been fine all summer.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Do not forget the clear tape. I did that from tips here, and my radio has been clear for months now.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Today we had rain on the Red Dragon and viola! Radio screen unreadable again. Over 6 months ago I fixed mine with Q-tip dipped in acetone. A covering like you suggested would work, so would a good coat of wax over the screen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts