BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I expect for miles out of a set of Metzlers on an LT? I Keep them properly inflated, etc.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I get about 14-15k on the rear and around 19k on the front. Most of my riding is one up and I use 42f/48r for pressure.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm only getting around 8,000 on the rear. I keep it at 48 psi and check weekly.

Not many curves between home and work so most of my riding is straight and flat and the tire gets squared off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just changed out both front and rear today. I had 14,380 on the rear and 25,900 front. Rear was pretty squared but the front was surprisingly good yet. Amazing.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
10,000 rear & 17,000 front 75% of my riding is 2 up with a good mix of highway and twisties

·
Registered
52 Posts
I filled with nitrogen and it is bliss, you should try it. No psi loss after 10 months.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I filled with nitrous oxide and got dizzy as a goat. 8,000 to 11,000 in the rear, 10,000 to 12,000 on the front.

·
Registered
350 Posts
gpolakow said:
What should I expect for miles out of a set of Metzlers on an LT? I Keep them properly inflated, etc.
I run 880s at 42/46 and get 12,000 rear and 18-20,000 from the front.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,911 Posts
There are some big variables in here. It depends on how hard you accelerate (wears the rear out) and how hard you brake (wears the front out). My fronts are now lasting 50% longer (12-15K) since I started using the engine to control the speed in the twisties vs. the brakes. My rears are not getting much past 8K as I love the acceleration this thing is capable of.

·
Cat Herder
1,441 Posts
I'm getting 12k on the rear and 15k on the front with rubber to spare
using 42r and 37f.... The rear can go farther but it gets a bit square after 12k (to much time on the super slab)

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
I dunno. Never could stand to run a set of ME880s to the wear bars. They make the LT handle like a truck in the dry, and slipped way too much in the rain. The two pairs I had (one factory, one emergency replacement set) both came off well before they were worn through. I think I still have some lying around the garage if anybody wants them. Lots of tread left, honest. :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Dont you have roules about how low the pattern can be ?

We have a roule saying that the the patern on the tyres can not be less then 3 mm on a motorcycle and if we get cought with it lower we may get a fine or loose the lisence plate!

A fellow LT rider bought a pair of Dunlops, no I dont know what type, and he have to change the rear tyre now only after 600 miles!!!!!

When we look at the low prices you pay for the tyres and the high prices for maintenance why not pay less attention to how much you get out of the tyres and more to how you run the bike itself?

I am thinking that tyres is cheap even when I have to pay US$ 800.- for the pair + mounting and balancing on the wheels.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I only get about 7k - 7500 miles on my rear 880s. I get about 14k on the front. I was running 48psi on the rear, 42 psi front. I am now trying 50r, 42f. That is what the Metz. rep. told me to try since we are close to max load most of the time. Here are my riding habits. I am told I ride pretty aggressively by my friends. I ride about 50% alone. About 20% pulling a time out camper. If I am riding without other friends I get about 42-44 mpg. If I am following our friends in a group, I can get just over 50 mpg. I can tell the tire wear is accelerated when pulling the trailer. I only get about 32mpg then. I tend to believe driver habits determine tire wear and gas mileage. As far as having a minimum tread depth, most states require 2/32 of an inch. The wear bars on the tires are at that dimension. That is how law enforcement can check your tread. I can't remember a LEO ever checking tread except during an accident investigation. They used to have "safety checks" where they checked lights and tread. Some lawyer said they couldn't do them because they weren't fair and random unless they did both directions on the same road at the same time. The judges agreed. It takes too much manpower to do them that way so they just stopped doing them.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Remember:

"How Many Licks Does It Take To Get To The Center Of A Tootsie Pop?"

Almost the same with tires.

I am on the throttle and off the throttle hard. The rear tire (for me) takes a beating. I get anywhere from 6-7K. I get about twice that for the fronts.

I check my pressure 3 or 4 times a week, daily rider.

YMMV

Botttom Line is the Metzs should get better mileage.

·
Registered
256 Posts
paalao said:
Dont you have rules about how low the pattern can be ?

We have a rule saying that the the patern on the tyres can not be less then 3 mm on a motorcycle and if we get caught with it lower we may get a fine or loose the license plate!
No, we don't. Manufacturers put wear bars on all tires to inform the operator that the tread wear has reached its limit, but we are free to operate the vehicle until the tire explodes. ;)

That is not to say that the police are not concerned with our safety, though.

Since everyone knows that "Speed Kills" we enforce our speed limits aggressively and visibly, thereby making us 'safer' and enriching the coffers of the local community at the same time.

What a country! :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've been lucky enough to get consistently about 20k out of a set. I tend to ride hard but not excessively so. I've also been a fanatic about keeping my pressures up, I check pressures several times a week.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
A friend of mine, 23,000 off the rear. By the time that tire came off, you could say it did resemble a tire, as it was round, and was once made of rubber...

Steel was showing. I don't recommend attempting to get 23k out of a rear tire.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I am on my second set. Got 25K on the first Metz and almost 18K on the rear. Start and Stop sort of easy, do not baby it once I get started but try not to be to hot off the line. This has been the average acoss all the bikes I have had.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts