BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a touring bike for several months . I think I've found a very good deal on a 2005 1200 lt . it needs a new rear tire a the front brake line. my only concern is that the bike has 68,000 miles. the gentleman is asking 3500 for the bike . are there any specific things I should look for when assessing the bike . Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Assuming it's been maintained properly, $3,500 seems like a pretty good deal. These bikes go well over 100K miles.

Depending upon the amount of farkles (accessories) included, it could well be a steal at that price.

·
Registered
989 Posts
68k miles? Just barely broken in. :)

Seriously, though - how do you know that "all it needs is a front brake line"? That's something you should investigate in more detail.

If it's truly just a brake line, no big deal - for a couple hundred dollars you can get a complete set that you install in a few hours.

But, if "faulty brake line" is code word for "bad ABS modulator', you could be facing serious bucks, worth more than the bike.

Food for thought. Beyond that question, I think that you may be looking at a good deal. It certainly is an enjoyable machine, especially in your neighborhood where long-distance bikes shine - the fun-to-dollar ratio will be high, even if you have to attend to some initial issues.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Considering the bike probably sold for $23,000.00 with tax and license fees when new, that sure seems like a great price if you are the buyer. I would make sure the "Big" items are working correctly. ABS unit, Final Drive assembly and clutch. All of those are 2500.00 + repairs at the dealer.

On another note, I cringe when I see these prices. That means my 2005 LT took a $20,000.00 depreciation hit (87%) in 5 years. That's crazy. If my math is correct, if one major item mentioned above fails, the repair will cost more then the bike is worth. That's the one thing that keeps me from being a happy BMW motorcycle owner. I think motor homes, Vespas and X-wives are the only things that depreciate faster.

But I did shine the LT up this week to get ready my next ride :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Look through these forums and esp the local forums and you may see that most things can be fixed for much less than the dealers bill. There are also some used parts sources which may reduce maintenance costs. There are many very talented and generous co-riders that help those of us less talented. And the bike is wonderful, beautiful, powerful and extremely comfortable...esp. for the passenger. I recently paid $6500 tt&l for a 2000 LT with 56k and am extremely happy with it and feel I got a great deal. Yours may be better.

·
Registered
635 Posts
A good thing to do when buying a used vehicle unless you are an experienced and competant mechanic, is to request you, or the owner bring the bike to a mechanic of your choosing for evaluation. Doing so will give you a pretty reasonable idea of the condition and if any issues are present, approximate cost to repair. As a point of reference a friend of mine just bought a 2005 LT with about 7K for just under $10K.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That's a killer price for an '05 Lt assuming it's in decent condition. Hopefully you're dealing with someone locally and not a Craigs list scammer

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's a good deal. On Craigslist locally, a gentleman was selling a similar bike for $5k, to $3.5k is a decent deal. I hope it works out for you.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
That price is too good to be true, if the bike is in working order and nothing major needs to be repaired or replaced.

Whenever the price is too low, better put some money aside for repairs that will possible be coming to light soon or else you are very lucky! Luck is not a good back up plan.

If you look around at average prices for simular bikes, you should come up with what is reasonable and what is not. As what was previously said, several major items could easily double your entry price. Get the bike checked by someone who knows.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just for comparison purposes, I bought a 2000 Canyon Red K1200lt with 60,000 miles on it from the BMW Dealer in Grand Rapids, MI exactly a year ago for $6,750.00. The bike is awesome, rides and handles great, by far the best ride I have owned. I have owned/leased both Gold WIngs and Harley's and won't be doing that anymore. This BMW has made me a true believer that I now own the best motorcycle ever, at least for me. I have seen "Wrecked" and "Parts Bikes" being sold for what you can buy your bike. I wouldn't be afraid of the mileage at all. However, I would bring it to your local BMW Dealer for evaluation or have someone who really know's BMW's go with you to check it out.

Good Luck

Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
$3,500 is too low a price for a 2005 I would be very suspect in this deal - something is not right!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Offer to split the cost of having a dealers shop check it out. You could be out a few $$ to scratch the itch, or be able to walk away if major problems are found. Either way you'll know, rather than wonder,& know what to look for on your own in future deals.

·
Registered
255 Posts
as some of the others have said, i would be very suspect about an '05 for only 3500. That year is worth much more money

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Check it out real good and or get some help to check it out. I have seen a lot of scams on Craigs list so if the owner doesn't mind letting you go over the bike, that is half the battle. Good luck and let us know what transpires.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
dfinazzo said:
$3,500 is too low a price for a 2005 I would be very suspect in this deal - something is not right!!
I agree with Dan.

·
Registered
607 Posts
GUNTER1100 said:
Offer to split the cost of having a dealers shop check it out. You could be out a few $$ to scratch the itch, or be able to walk away if major problems are found. Either way you'll know, rather than wonder,& know what to look for on your own in future deals.

For only $3,500 purchase price, I would even foot the entire bill to have a dealer check it out. 2005 LTs are listing for $7.5k - $11k, depending on farkles and mileage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
DanDiver said:
That price is too good to be true, if the bike is in working order and nothing major needs to be repaired or replaced.

Whenever the price is too low, better put some money aside for repairs that will possible be coming to light soon or else you are very lucky! Luck is not a good back up plan.

If you look around at average prices for simular bikes, you should come up with what is reasonable and what is not. As what was previously said, several major items could easily double your entry price. Get the bike checked by someone who knows.
What Dan said and everybody else has said. I bought an '03 for $7500 with about 28000 miles on it. I've since had another $3500 in dealer repairs, so I now have a $11000 into it.

Still love it though!

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I had an '05 and put 80,000 on it before I accidentally burned it up. That price scared me when I saw it. Too low unless the owner has no clew.
Just my .02

·
Registered
18 Posts
Let me know where the bike is and I would take it in a heartbeat for that price. I have over 100,000 on my 2000, had 64,000 miles on it when I purchased it. I have had no maintenance problems, just replace tires every 20,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts