BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were choosing between two '00 LT's, and visual condition being equal, would you be inclined to go with the one with 70K or the one with 22K for a little more $.

Mechanically, the one with 70K has had the rear drive updated and seals replaced.

·
Banned
588 Posts
Tough call. I had a 2000 and most of the problems were early on and fixed under warranty, within the first 36,000 miles.

What is the price difference?

I'd be sure to ride them both. Maybe have a BMW mechanic examine both and ask him his opinion.

Many have not had rear drive problems. Mine didn't at 137,000 miles when I sold it. Others have had problems with their replacement drives, as they may not have been installed correctly.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Depending on what you mean by "Rear Drive updated", there is probably not much difference in value actually. Now if it has had a complete Rear Drive replacement, I would go for it. If it was simply seal replacement, or even bearings replaced, I would be leary. For sure I would make sure the dealer was willing to stand behind the repair if that is what it had!

Other than that, I would go with my heart and my wallet. Also make sure you get in a good ride on each Bike just to see if either one speaks to you in a good or bad way.

I have a 2000 LT I bought new and the only major items I have had fail are the Rear Drive at about 42k miles; Clutch changed due to Rear Main Seal at about 65k miles; and my water pump repaired at around 55k miles. It may sound like a lot, but the Rear Drive was the only one that caught us on the road and involved needing a tow. That was a pain! The others were found near home and able to either be ridden to the shop, or fixed in my garage.

The Bike just seems to run better the more miles you put on her.

John

·
Registered
809 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I would go for the higher-mileage bike. Less expensive, difference may pay for repairs, may have fewer seals that dried out due to not being ridden.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
How much is the diference?
This bikes worth on the 6K to 9K range, so the money is not that much either way. I would get the lowest mileage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts