BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading down to SDBMW tomorrow morning to look at a couple of used LT ('03 & '06) models they have in stock. I might drive out with one of them if I like what I see and can arrange financing. I sold my Concours last week so I have 6~7K for a down payment.

The '03 only has 10K miles on it and just had the 12K maintence done on it. The '06 has 17K miles and still has the factory warernty until next year. If I buy the '03, I'll be in the market for an aftermarket warrenty I expect.

Any suggestions for things I should look at for?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I would consider the 06 if I had the ability to purchase it. The added horsepower really makes a significant difference (you can feel if in the seat of your pants), as does the steeper steering head angle in slow speed handling. Not to mention the power center stand.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I traded an 03 for an 05 and there is a difference. I would recommend the 06 if you have the choice.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Which ever bike you decide to purchase get the extended warranty........

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the '06 and got an extended warrenty. It was the most comfortable ride home I've ever made on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
I would consider the 06 if I had the ability to purchase it. The added horsepower really makes a significant difference (you can feel if in the seat of your pants), as does the steeper steering head angle in slow speed handling. Not to mention the power center stand.
You know Jack, I keep hearing people say that. I've had a chance to ride a '07 and I don't see a difference in slow speed handling.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well all I can say about low speed handling is that it is much easier than my '02 Concours. That motorcycle is so top heavy it will fall over at the drop of a hat. Let's hope all my time with it has preparred me well for the LT and I can keep it upright as long as I own it. :)

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
ArthurKnowles said:
Well all I can say about low speed handling is that it is much easier than my '02 Concours. That motorcycle is so top heavy it will fall over at the drop of a hat. Let's hope all my time with it has preparred me well for the LT and I can keep it upright as long as I own it. :)
not to worry, it wil get ya when you least expect it

Don't ask me how I know.........

·
Registered
78 Posts
Enjoy Arthur, it is a very able motorcycle for its size. I often must remind myself that its not a sport bike even if it seems like it on certain types of roads. I've come in a little to hot in some tight corners and found myself fighting to keep it in my lane,that will bring you quickly back to reality about what your on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had an 02 and traded up to an 05. I luv it. Better handling at slow speeds, on the 02 I always felt as though I was kind of falling into the turns. It has the extra hp and the powered center stand is great for my old beat up back. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Steve_R said:
You know Jack, I keep hearing people say that. I've had a chance to ride a '07 and I don't see a difference in slow speed handling.
I have had the opportunity to ride both my 03 and my 05 on the same day, and THERE IS a difference. The 05 is less wobbly than the 03 at low speed and coming to a stop. I could feel the difference also when lane splitting with Kathy on the back... It just felt more natural.
Both bike were fitted with BT-020 tires, radials on the 03 and BIAS on the 05.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
ArthurKnowles said:
I bought the '06 and got an extended warrenty. It was the most comfortable ride home I've ever made on a motorcycle.
and soon you'll find you are going home by way of Palm Springs - congratulations!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts