BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in the search for being able to see behind me I have installed these Mirrors.

Not a cheap solution at all but man do they work.

All to this end.

Who's got Mirrors?

From the rear/side. With the Sanegs it is a little busy!

They are not too bad and after a 360 Mile ride yesterday the Factory are not even used now. These blow it away.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd be concerned about blinding the drivers behind me at night.LOL

I feel your pain man. Never have liked the K12 mirrors. And I even covered them up with CB and XM radio on one of mine. If this bike did not look so sexy, I'd probably still be riding a 1st generation Yamaha Venture Royale.

IMO. Your's looks great with the new mirrors. How stable are the little convex mirrors attached to the wings?

Paul - Houston

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pwmac2005 said:
I'd be concerned about blinding the drivers behind me at night.LOL

I feel your pain man. Never have liked the K12 mirrors. And I even covered them up with CB and XM radio on one of mine. If this bike did not look so sexy, I'd probably still be riding a 1st generation Yamaha Venture Royale.

IMO. Your's looks great with the new mirrors. How stable are the little convex mirrors attached to the wings?

Paul - Houston
Thank you on the compliment.

I love them and they sure do work. I don't think they mess the bikes lines up too bad.

The Saeng spots are pretty stable, the wings do move a bit but at speed they are clear.

The BMR shelf rests on the wings and made them a lot more stable.

I really have to say it pissed me off a bit to spend about 160.00 for two mirrors but well worth it in being able to see.

I guess you cant put a price on being able to see behind you.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Two things.

Has anyone tried a pair of Napoleon bar end mirrors on their LT?

What are those fancy grips?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
Those look like GS mirrors. I like the RS mirrors better they have a thicker stem and a rectangular shape.

How do you like the Doran TPMS? Did you mount the sensors external or internal?

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
jzeiler said:
Those look like GS mirrors. I like the RS mirrors better they have a thicker stem and a rectangular shape.

How do you like the Doran TPMS? Did you mount the sensors external or internal?
Yes I was aware of the two, I just preferred a single black stalk. They are both in that price range though. That bottom nut is 9.00 :mad:

I love the Doran and it is about a year and a half old. Customer service is great. I lost a sensor and they asked if I had done some things and I said yes. They were prompt in getting me a new sensor. When I followed up they said there was an oily substance in it. It dawned on me I was using Ride On which is an awesome product. I said this and said you may want to take that off your Web Site that you are Ride On compatible. I had that mounted external rear. I also had one mounted internal front with Ride On also. It started to not pick up as quickly same as the rear and I called. They shipped another no issue. It cost me my time dismounting and mounting the tire and changing a metal 90*, and put a strait in so the sensor would fit. But it allowed me to do this when I was due to change my front tire. I now use Dyna Beads and have not had any other issues. I do carry a tire plugger and air pump. NTSAT (not to start a thread)

I think it was Dan who had a bunch of a type that would be my preference as it gave temp. It was internal with a band strap around the wheel. I did not know enough at that point in my LT Journey as they do not make them any longer.

However I was on it all day yesterday and checked it constantly. When we were in cool valleys I saw 44-46 from 41 start, and 52-54 from 48 on the rear in 68-75* temps. On the highways at 72 MPH GPS, 81* Temp for a good 1.5 hours I saw 47 front and 56 rear. That is how I gauge temp. If I ever saw a huge rise, I would know.

All that said it would be nice to have temp, but he Doran allows you a very simple install that if need be, can be protected by taking them off where you don't feel confident. I must confess I never take mine off. In the whole time they been on only one person asked me what they were. The bike has so much to look at I don't think most notice them.

I like it a lot because of its simplicity and it is very accurate, at least to the gauge in the side bag.

I know I like knowing pushing a button compared to crawling and under the rear tire, and
fussing with that front rotor :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
I have the Smartire on the LT but they are NLA. Was looking for something for the GS. May try the Doran. Thanks

·
Registered
622 Posts
My solution to reducing the hazards behind me... I go faster than everyone else, or most everyone else. Just kidding... kinda. :rolleyes:

Looks like it will easily expand your rearview. It's just too busy looking for me.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NCrider said:
My solution to reducing the hazards behind me... I go faster than everyone else, or most everyone else. Just kidding... kinda. :rolleyes:

Looks like it will easily expand your rear view. It's just too busy looking for me.
Well the way I was taught to drive anything was, either drive faster then everyone else, or slower, never with them in a pack.

I understand your busy comment and may take the Saengs off and get some bigger spots for the OEM mirrors. Since I dont use them a bit any longer. I love the Saengs but don't like all three on. So spots for the OEM. Probably rectangular wedge ones of a pretty good size

Thing I like is being able to keep line of sight on everything as close to eye level as possible. I don't like dipping my head at all, to see anything. It is why I did the BMR thread.

Thanks for the comment, and most of the time I do ride faster then traffic too :rotf:

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jzeiler said:
I have the Smartire on the LT but they are NLA. Was looking for something for the GS. May try the Doran. Thanks
Yes that was it SmartTire. If you dont run a sealant the Doran is fine. Although I think on a GS I would run Ride On no doubt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts