BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exciting times, my tyre order arrived today:

I still have some life left on the Dunlop RS III set currently on the bike so these won't go on right away.

The questions I have:

1. Am I correct to assume the white bar code labels are also the marks for the heavy point of the tyre? Been a while since I fitted the Road 5 GTs I had on my '06 RT.

2. Anyone with Road 6 GT longevity experience? While this model has only become available recently to Australians, other parts of the world had them out for many months. I got 15000 km (9000 odd miles) out of the Road 5 GT set, with most of those miles done 2 up, would love to know what are realistic expectations for the Road 6 GT. I know Michelin claims 10 extra percent...

Thank you.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R 1250 RT, 2020 BMW R 1250 GSA, 2014 HD FLHTK, 2005 Honda Goldwing
73 Posts
According to my understanding your tires would have a red dot which is the high point of the tire. It should be lined up with the valve stem which is typically the low point of the rim. This is to help the balance, prevent hopping, and reduces the amount of weights needed to balance the wheel.

Please let us know how you like these new tires. I have heard mixed reviews. Some folks think it is the best ever while others feel that the 5's were just as good or better. Of course, most every new tire feels better better than the worn set it replaced. Still very happy with the 5's on my RT.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tires would have a red dot
Yes, that's what I was looking for too, but (according to some research) Michelin consider their tyres balanced enough not to mark them at all now. I was hoping someone knows differently, but it does not look like that.

I will update this thread with my opinion, for what it's worth, but it will take a while. There is probably 1k kilometres at least left on the Dunlops (I don't like waste, so run the tyres down to the markers) and we are in "winter" now with less opportunities for rides (not gonna get on the bike if it is already raining).

I have heard mixed reviews.
That is interesting. I only read positive or very positive reviews. I had Road 5 GTs on my '06 RT and loved them for both feel and longevity. A bit of cupping was still present but nothing like the Pilot Road 4 GTs. The Road 6 model supposed to have improved on all those points. The price difference down here is negligible (Road 5 to Road 6), the availability can be an issue, so when my usual tyre shop got new stock, I jumped.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's been a while since I saw new tires prior to them being installed. Nowadays, I place my order with the dealer and pick up the bike once the work is done.

The 5's have some miles left on them. Looking forward to the feedback.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2022 RT came with the 5GT's and I've put 5500 miles on them. My previous RT was a 2005 that I put 182,515 miles on and have been running Dunlop Roadsmart 3's. I like how the 5GT's handle and perform....BUT....the noise from the tires. Strait up its a constant harmonic noise that goes away with a slight lean to the right or left, so straight line long distance droning down the road is....lts just, say, not what I'm accustomed to.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
322 Posts
My 2022 RT came with the 5GT's and I've put 5500 miles on them. My previous RT was a 2005 that I put 182,515 miles on and have been running Dunlop Roadsmart 3's. I like how the 5GT's handle and perform....BUT....the noise from the tires. Strait up its a constant harmonic noise that goes away with a slight lean to the right or left, so straight line long distance droning down the road is....lts just, say, not what I'm accustomed to.
Hmmm, sounds like a warranty issue. 😏
I get that tires are a wear/consumable for a motorcycle, but on a new 2200RT for which you spent beaucoop $$$$ on, the tires ought to ride smooth as silk and quiet enough so that only noise you hear is the soft heartbeat & purring of your advanced Boxer engine. 🤣

On the other hand, if you're riding on the tires polyester cords instead of rubber because you've been going hard at it in the twisties for 6000 miles, well, then ya got another problem.
====>Good news, ya bought the right bike and are treating her right.
====>Bad news: She runs on rubber, is hungry, and wants to be fed. 🙃😁🍻

A little more seriously, when this has occurred with my cars or trucks, it's invariably been due to (a) excessive/misshaped wear due to poor balancing and/or (b) mechanical problems leading to the same thing (e.g. front end, shocks, bearings, etc.). To be honest, even though I've taken early PR's to over 10K miles, I like LOTS of rubber underneath any vehicle my life depends on, that has half the wheel redundancy of a car (i.e. only two wheels). If you have reached 6K miles on your PR5's and are hearing noise, buy a new set of rubber, and feel happy to do it, IMHO. Better rubber is better handling under more varying conditions, and also better control over the unexpected. I'd still consider taking it by the dealer, and asking them if it's normal for an RT to wear tires unevenly, or if there isn't a latent issue developing, i.e. bearings, axle alignment, etc.

I won't insert a link here, but Michelin has this little diagram about their PR5's, regarding hydroplaning prevention. Notice the difference in the tread under "used for 3502 mile". While they are touting the superior handling and braking performance, their tires like all others, DO WEAR, and that leaves you with less rubber between you and the very hard pavement.

Product Azure Automotive tire Helmet Font

I don't want to sound insulting, honestly, this isn't directed at you personally, but as a general comment. There's a running joke about "the only thing cheap about a BMW is the rider in the saddle". I might feel differently if I were putting 25K to 50K miles on a Beemer a year (e.g. slab commuting, which I've actually and unfortunately, done quite a bit of), and mounting new tires every other month. However, it amazes me that owners will shell out $25K+ for a pretty new BMW RT, only to hesitate mounting a new set of $200 to $350 tires to give the bike it's best performance, and the owners, best chance at life in a critical road situation.
/end rant (Ok, OK, I apologized in advance .... just sayin' 😬)

·
Registered
73 Posts
The good news is that motorcycle tires have come a long way. None of the tires offered by the major brands are truly bad. Personal preferences and driving styles aside, all are capable to get us safely from A to B. Test reports show how close these tires are in the relevant performance categories. Manufacturers need to differentiate their products and cool looking tread patterns have become somewhat of a marketing gimmick with some unintended, sometimes noisy side effects. As such the 5's do hum a little when leaned over but I do not find it annoying. It's 2022 and one would think that tire manufactures oughta have figured out the most efficient pattern to disperse water.
Spirited riding will not only consume more fuel but also more rubber. Putting tires through the heat and cool down cycles will impact their performance long before thread depth becomes critical. That's why I reserve final judgement until tires have 2,000 plus miles on them. Tire care (proper inflation) will have a big impact on performance and life span.

Dunlop's Roadsmart 3 are no longer second tier when compared to Michelins 5's. The Michelins have a slight advantage in roll off comfort and in the wet when pushed. The Dunlops will offer slightly more miles. That's just my personal perception. If Michelin's new 6 can widen the performance gap, all the more power to them.

Regardless of motorcycle brand, we all wish for tires that last for more than 10,000 miles, and stick like glue in dry and wet conditions until the very end. Unrealistic expectations always leads to disappointment! Finding the tire that suits our personal riding styles best is the challenge. There is plenty to choose from.

·
Cat Herder
1,626 Posts
After speaking with Michelin directly there are no red dots and no alignment markers. Just slap the tire on the rim and it's balanced. I thought the rep was pulling my leg and the last three sets of Michelin tires have balanced out perfectly. I just slap them on and they're good. Your rim should already be pre-balanced with the TPM.

Reactions: Fast1

·
Registered
195 Posts
After speaking with Michelin directly there are no red dots and no alignment markers. Just slap the tire on the rim and it's balanced. I thought the rep was pulling my leg and the last three sets of Michelin tires have balanced out perfectly. I just slap them on and they're good. Your rim should already be pre-balanced with the TPM.
Hmmmm

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
372 Posts
Every Michelin tire I have put on has had weights added to balance them. On my 3rd set of PR4's soon to be PR6's

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
Just got a set of Road 6GT put on. Weight added.

Reactions: Dalton 5

·
Registered
73 Posts
That is a change I wasn't aware of. Thank you for sharing!
The last set of Michelin 4's mounted to the previous GTL had enough weights attached to the rims to make a scrap metal dealer drool. At the time I asked the dealer how much more they ended up charging me for all those weights.

·
Registered
180 Posts
To tell how much weight is for the tire you have to balance the rim by itself first then mount the tire. Then when you balance it again the change is due to the tire.
tvguy, what do you mean by, "Your rim should already be pre-balanced with the TPM."?

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
121 Posts
I installed a pair of Michelin road 6 tires on May 19th at 2300 miles on the odometer after removing the Metzlers that were on the moto at time of purchase.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

The first thing I noticed after scrubbing them in on a dirt road is that they seemed to be much more plush and smooth than the Metzlers. I lacked confidence with the Metzlers and was still learning the RT's handling characteristics so I did not push them too much during the first 2300 miles of use.

Just walked in the door right now from a 9 day ride and now have 9634 miles overall on the moto.

I'll measure the tread depth as soon as I can. Still unpacking the moto.

I pushed the moto pretty hard in some amazing traffic free curvy roads listed in the Butler Motorcycle maps
as G1, G2 and G3 in WA, OR, ID and MT.

What they look like now with 7334 miles of use.

Front seem to have more pronounced wear on the sides vs the back.

Automotive tire Sculpture Artifact Synthetic rubber Rim

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

I did encounter rain at times and used "rain" mode. Although I was not testing the limits of the tire in the rain on public roads, they handled respectable for my use when raining at a scaled back pace.

I monitored tire pressure daily and used suggested PSI specs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have those to balance the rim with the TPS units. I never had to add more weight for the tire.
Those were added when I swapped from OE Metzelers to the Michelin 6gt. Dealer did the install. There was a weight on the rim before but not as much - which would suggest it was the tyre balance that was adjusted for.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have those to balance the rim with the TPS units. I never had to add more weight for the tire.
That photo shows weights on both sides. Quite a few for a tire that's supposedly so well balanced that its high point does not require any markings.
Not trying to open up another can of worms, but the origin (country of manufacturing) of the tire seems to matter also. That based on my experience with inconsistent Metzeler products. Same type and size tires on the same rims would come back with vastly different weights attached to the rims after each tire change.

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
121 Posts
Those were added when I swapped from OE Metzelers to the Michelin 6gt. Dealer did the install. There was a weight on the rim before but not as much - which would suggest it was the tyre balance that was adjusted for.
Mine also took about 1/4 oz more per wheel with the Michelin 6 gt vs the OE Metzelers.

I did some weight and tread measurements in this thread

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just use balance beads. The Coke bottle video is convincing and so far after nearly two sets of tyres used from new, I cannot prove that they don't work. I never had any vibrations or the slightest signs of imbalance with them but there is no objective tests involved from my side. Used on Road 5GT and RoadSmart III. Not a believer but not a disclaimer either unless proven otherwise.

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
121 Posts
I installed a pair of Michelin road 6 tires on May 19th at 2300 miles on the odometer after removing the Metzlers that were on the moto at time of purchase.

View attachment 179027

View attachment 179028

The first thing I noticed after scrubbing them in on a dirt road is that they seemed to be much more plush and smooth than the Metzlers. I lacked confidence with the Metzlers and was still learning the RT's handling characteristics so I did not push them too much during the first 2300 miles of use.

Just walked in the door right now from a 9 day ride and now have 9634 miles overall on the moto.

I'll measure the tread depth as soon as I can. Still unpacking the moto.

I pushed the moto pretty hard in some amazing traffic free curvy roads listed in the Butler Motorcycle maps
as G1, G2 and G3 in WA, OR, ID and MT.

What they look like now with 7334 miles of use.

Front seem to have more pronounced wear on the sides vs the back.

View attachment 179029

View attachment 179030

I did encounter rain at times and used "rain" mode. Although I was not testing the limits of the tire in the rain on public roads, they handled respectable for my use when raining at a scaled back pace.

I monitored tire pressure daily and used suggested PSI specs.

Did some tread depth measurements today on the Michelin Road 6 tires at 7360 miles of use. Unfortuantely this
is a bit rudimentary but doing my best.

Front center at red X 4/32
Front Side at red x 6/32 (seems not much wear at all)

The front soft compound appears most worn from new right off the hard compound that is in the center (in between the two blue lines in the soft compound)

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Hood Automotive lighting

Rear Tire
At center red X 4.5/32 (between 4/32 and 5/32)
Appears between 2/32 to 3/32 wear left in the center until the wear indicators are flush with the tread (blue circle).
At side red X 7/32 (lots of soft compound wear remaining and have not utilized the entire sidewall down to the 1st marker line)

Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting Grey Road surface

I've not used the soft compound down to the first marker line on the sidewalls of either tire. (too conservative of rider with luggage??)

Seems there is a ton more soft compound to make use of on the sides!!

I'm somewhat surprised since I picked the most curvy mountain roads available to ride during my recent trip but did have a relatively straight freeway commute 1200 miles each direction to reach the good single highway and county road stuff. The curvy roads I was on were done at a pace that would have got me in trouble if there were others cars around.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts