BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Suspension is good.
Bike was rock solid on the 200 mile ride to Alb to get the service and replace the PR4 GT's.
The moment I got on the bike to ride home - I immediately notice instability.
My first thought was Michelin may have started using mold release compound again and I needed to get the tires scrubbed in.
That absolutely was not the case and the more I rode the tires, the worse it got.

·
Registered
'21 RT
45 Posts
I only ask because I’ve never in 45 years seen a set of forks, coil overs or even OEM shocks hold up for 6-7 years and 40k+ miles. I know the track day guys are rebuilding forks off season, annually and they are putting a fraction of the time on them, although they are running hotter.

The Road GT 5’s are quick on their feet, I like that. That being said I also have a steering dampener, those need to get rebuilt on occasion as well. Ok rare occasion I get a wobble when north of 80 and passing something big like a toy hauler or semi, just attributed that to the enormous fairing and 17” wheels on the usual RT.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
I understand where you're coming from.
However, in this case they're still holding up fine.
Additionally, it would be highly unlikely that the suspension failed between the time I dropped the bike off for the tires, and the time I picked it up to ride home, but thanks for your observation.

I do have a little experience.... ;)

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Did the 400 miles round trip to Sandia BMW in Albuquerque, NM yesterday. Michelin ran the guys around the "cluster pole" until they just said screw Michelin's warranty people and decided to just replace the tires for me at their expense.

There is absolutely no question the Road 5 GT tires on my bike were the problem [see my previous posts].

Even on fresh PR 4 GT tires that weren't scrubbed in, the bike is again rock solid with no wallowing or "loose" handling with the PR 4 GT tires. The 200 mile ride home was again rock solid, no unusual handling in gusting winds or irregularities of road surfaces. Typical running over rain groves and warm tar snakes was as expected - and did not induct the wallowing of the R 5 GT's.

My bike is again solid on the road as it should be, even though the tires aren't fully scrubbed in yet.

Giant kudos to Robert and Joseph, the Service Advisor and Services Supervisor at Sandia BMW Motorcycles in Albuquerque, NM for their awesome customer service. I highly recommend them.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
I've got the MR5GT tires both front and back on my '18RT and the rear tire is worn out, just under 9K on tire(steel belt showing)....Granted I just returned from a 7200 mile road trip on some pretty crappy roads and the bike was loaded with gear, but that seems awfully low miles. This is my first set of tires for this RT, before I owned a LT and got about 11K out of a tire

If the tire is going to wear out that soon what's the point of paying extra for a tire?

Was thinking of going with the Bridgeston Battlax or maybe one of the Metzeler tires.....thoughts?

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
293 Posts
Was thinking of going with the Bridgeston Battlax or maybe one of the Metzeler tires.....thoughts?
I recognise that tyre choices are very personal. With that in mind I would suggest Dunlop Roadsmart III as an alternative to the Road5 GT hoops. I, unfortunately, got the new bike ('21) with the Z8 Roadtechs. At 2k kilometres there was a noticeable squaring by touch, now at just over 4.4k kilometres, the squaring is visible too. I had these Metzellers on a different bike with 160 rear section but exactly the same outcome. Those came off the Honda at 8k kilometres, these ones on the RT will not make it that far.

I have been looking out for tyre choices and reviews by people riding RTs since I started riding an RT too. This is the list that was used on various edition RTs:

Avon Storm 3D XM, Michelin Road5 GT, Continental Roadattack 3 GT, Battlax T31 GT, Shinko 016 dual compound, Avon Spirit AV75/76, Dunlop Roadsmart III

Unfortunately where I live only the Dunlops and the Michelins are readily available, so my next lottery of the black round things will involve Dunlops. I had the Road5s on my previous RT (an '06) and the wear (with Dyna beads that supposed to extend life span) was the best on any tyre I ever rode. Both wore the same rate and sold the bike with them on at 14k kilometres with the rear still having probably 2 k kilometres life left. Less squaring than the Pilot Road 4 GTs and much better feel. Most of the riding was two up on these tyres. It is also the longest lasting set I ever owned on any motorcycle.

The long term review I read about the Dunlops was talking about similar feel to the Michelins but less squaring and better mileage with the same wet weather performance.

Good luck making a choice ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Did the 400 miles round trip to Sandia BMW in Albuquerque, NM yesterday. Michelin ran the guys around the "cluster pole" until they just said screw Michelin's warranty people and decided to just replace the tires for me at their expense.

There is absolutely no question the Road 5 GT tires on my bike were the problem [see my previous posts].

Even on fresh PR 4 GT tires that weren't scrubbed in, the bike is again rock solid with no wallowing or "loose" handling with the PR 4 GT tires. The 200 mile ride home was again rock solid, no unusual handling in gusting winds or irregularities of road surfaces. Typical running over rain groves and warm tar snakes was as expected - and did not induct the wallowing of the R 5 GT's.

My bike is again solid on the road as it should be, even though the tires aren't fully scrubbed in yet.

Giant kudos to Robert and Joseph, the Service Advisor and Services Supervisor at Sandia BMW Motorcycles in Albuquerque, NM for their awesome customer service. I highly recommend them.
My observation is similar to yours. I put the 5GT’s on my 2019 1250rt at 8k miles. Previously had the original Michelin 4 pilot that were on when I purchased the bike new. The 5GT immediately felt unstable and wandering right from the dealership. I now have almost 4k miles on the tires and they don’t seem as bad. My next new set will be going back to pilot 4.

·
Registered
67 Posts
2016 RTW, nearly 200k kms on the clock. Most of the bike's life it has been shod with PR4GT's. Very happy with. Last 3 sets of tyres have been Road5GT's. Better than the 4's. Less cupping, better "planted". Will continue with Mich's.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 R1200RT / 2010 F800GS / 2004 F650 GS / 1995 Honda GL1500 SE
28 Posts
Has anyone had a chance to personally tried the Michelin Pilot Road 5 GT tire on their R1200RTW,
Would like to have some First hand feedback on this series tire.
I'm about 6k miles in on my 08 Rt. Flawless tires. And they are wearing very well. I'd say I've got at least another 8k miles left in them. Very happy. And they handle very well in the rain, and super confident in the curves.

·
Registered
2014 R1200RT LC
67 Posts
Just got my first set of R5 GT’s on my ‘14 RT and they definitely felt different (in a positive way) than the PR4’s they replaced. The word ‘nimble’ comes to mind, but I think the technical word may be ‘neutral’. Tomorrow I’ll get a chance to really exercise them. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a new set of Road 5 GTs on my 15. I had them up on some nice twisty roads in the Blue Ridge recently. I’m very happy with the handling compared to the 4 GTs that were on previously.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
A member of our local club is a high mileage rider and consistently places 1st or second (Ohio) each season. He is approaching the 1,000,000 mile level on his current 2021 GSA. He rides with Michelin PR5 GT's and gets 10,000 miles +. He goes through multiple sets each year!

I replaced my OEM Metz's with the PR5 GT's.

·
Registered
120 Posts
A member of our local club is a high mileage rider and consistently places 1st or second (Ohio) each season. He is approaching the 1,000,000 mile level on his current 2021 GSA. He rides with Michelin PR5 GT's and gets 10,000 miles +. He goes through multiple sets each year!

I replaced my OEM Metz's with the PR5 GT's.
A milion miles on a 2021 GSA?? Even at two years, riding every single day would be 1369 miles a day??

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT
34 Posts
I just had a new set of Michelin Road 5GT’s installed and so far I have about 500 miles on them. I don’t notice much difference from my original Metzler Z8’s. I ran the Z8’s at 37 and 43 and had some cupping on front tire. I am running these at 39 and 44. Considering going up to 40/45. Local riders tell me they run similar pressures on their BMW’s. I live in Florida so most the time I go out to check my tires before a ride it is 80-85 degrees in the garage so after I pump up the tires to 39 and 44 and go out for a ride the TPMS come in at 37/43 since they are configured at 68 degrees. The GT’s seem much more comfortable to me and I feel no hesitation leaning into turns. The 21RT is a beast and when you let her loose and go to pass you get instant response and the tires feel extremely well planted. Will have to see how they do as my mileage progresses.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My 2019 RT came with Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact tires. When I needed new tires I went back to the tires which were my favorite on my old 2005 R1200RT, Michelin PR4s. So naturally I went back to those on the 1250. The Road 5s were not out yet. Well, they sucked. I hate them on my new RT. Does that mean they suck in general? No. They just don't work well for me on the 1250RT. Weird eh? So I went back to Roadtec Z8s. Why? Because they handle great, last almost as long as the PR4s, and cost WAY less. I got my last pair for about $290 before tax.

Will I ever try the Road 5s? Not unless Metzler quits making the Z8s, which will probably be soon as they have been around awhile. Maybe. I'll probably try a newer Metzler tire before I try R5s. But if the other Metzler sucks for me, yeah, I'll give PR5s a chance.

I see tires as being like speakers. All of the good ones are good at being speakers, but everyone doesn't hear sound the same. So Polk's are preferred by some and Klipsch by others, and so on. All of your major tire brands are excellent at being tires, but each rider is different. One tire may be loved by one rider and not liked by another for various reasons.

Once you establish that the tire you are choosing from is a good tire, the rest is really up to personal choice and how that tire interacts with your bike and if you like it. The only way you'll know for sure if R5s are right for you is to buy them and ride. I love tires that makes the bike very neutral handling and has quick turn it. I like the bike to track through a turn with minimal input. I also want most grip possible in a sport touring tire as I love to lean. A lot. PR4s on the 1250 don't have the grip the Z8s have at the edge. The Z8s also do just as well in the wet. But they don't last quite as log as PR4s. That's ok with me as I'm not planning any Iron Butts any time soon. Were I a bit less aggressive in turns PR4s would be fine... except they cost a lot more. For me the lower price and superior handling (for me) is why I stick with the Metzler z8s.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
PR4GT on my new '16 RT--overrated cupping-prone tire. Tried Angel GT which had two big issues for me, and Z8 was decent but didn't care for its end of life behavior when cords suddenly appeared. It wasn't until I discovered Conti RoadAttack 3GT that an aggressive rider and my local dealer turned me on to that I found the tire that fits the bike best by far of these four: can be hard-leaned immediately post-install, best/perfect turn-in and line holding of all, best shape retention, best slow speed hard lean traction, otherwise great wet/dry traction, best in linear grooved pavement/bridge grates, no howling in turns, and the rate of cupping is minimal even at standard 36psi on the front, unlike PR4GT which cupped wretchedly in under 2K miles. PR4GT is popular because of the Michelin name, and the pretty siping pattern, but that's about it for wethead RT, IMHO of course :geek:, and a few others:

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
A milion miles on a 2021 GSA?? Even at two years, riding every single day would be 1369 miles a day??
Sorry for the confusion. The LD rider rides~30K a year and get a new bike every two years!

61 - 79 of 79 Posts