BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
Hi Tom!

You may not experience the same thing as I did, unless you have the same riding style as I do! The Angel GT is a dual-compound tire, just like all of the PR series and the new Road 5. The harder compound is in the center of the tire, while the softer (grippier) compound starts somewhere up away from the center. Getting slippage when leaned hard over means that I was 100% on the soft material of the Angel GT, and it isn't as good as the equivalent material of the PRs that I have had (PR2, PR3GT, PR4GT), or the Metzler Z8 that came from the factory on my '15 RT. There are other issues with the tire, and you should look at what I wrote in this recent thread, Post #22: https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/185687-r1250rt-ready-new-tires.html

Initially, I thought that the Angel GT was going to be my all-time best tire, but that changed as the miles built up.
Thanks for this info, Pad. We’ll see how my Angels hold up. I’ve run a few sets of PR4s (haven’t tried the 5s) yet and, initially, thought they were great. But, for me, they cupped something horrible, seemingly overnight, so that’s when I moved to the Angel GTs. But, like I said, I haven’t got enough miles on them yet so time will tell. But, so far, so good.

Reactions: MBevans

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks for this info, Pad. We’ll see how my Angels hold up. I’ve run a few sets of PR4s (haven’t tried the 5s) yet and, initially, thought they were great. But, for me, they cupped something horrible, seemingly overnight, so that’s when I moved to the Angel GTs. But, like I said, I haven’t got enough miles on them yet so time will tell. But, so far, so good.
We’re all slightly different in what we perceive or “feel” from a tire and of course which bikes we use them on.
I spent years (almost 40k miles) sport-touring on a Ducati ST4S with bags and a top box flogging/logging lots of miles with (PR2 great tires) (PR3 ok almost great tire) the (PR4 rumbled and rolled horrible tire).

Then came my pretty new R1200RT, the OEM PR4GT. After 1000 miles I tossed them, they rumbled slipped many times and showed signs of cupping to come, they might have been good or great for long super-slab touring, but that’s not where I live or ride. I like and prefer roads less traveled.
So like yourself I installed a set of Angel GT’s to the RT, love loved loved them! Smooth soft feeling durable grippy confident in rain and grooved roads.

Fast forward to today the RT didn’t see much riding last year as I was a field engineer traveling extensively, yet today finally retired I’m riding weekly and planning some great long trips in my future. But with 7500 miles on these Angel GTs the front is still a sweet tire as its quiet and changes direction without thinking twice, but the rear is getting grumbly, a little slip here or there on my roads, but no oh-sh*t moments yet. I will need tires soon, as the front Angel GT is less than 2mm and the rear is less than 3mm. But dammit I loved those tires.

The new Road 5 GT tires look to have many traits similar to the older PR4GTs which leaves me a little cold to the brand these days so not sure which way to go in the next few weeks, maybe I’ll suck it up and buy another set of Angels? Not sure.
Or step outside my comfort zone and try something different?

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
What pressures are you running in your tires? Typically, for me, the cupping are usually quite pronounced but just moderate, with any of the Michelin by the time that they are worn. I always run 40/42 (F/R).

·
Registered
237 Posts
What pressures are you running in your tires? Typically, for me, the cupping are usually quite pronounced but just moderate, with any of the Michelin by the time that they are worn. I always run 40/42 (F/R).
Pad, did you use 40/42 with Angels also?

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
Pad, did you use 40/42 with Angels also?
Yes. I use those pressures regardless of tires. Perhaps you are thinking that I should lower the pressure of the rear tire to perhaps get a better grip, and I had thought of that as well, but I never did get around to trying, because the cumulative of "things" that I didn't like got so bad, for me, so that I gave up in disgust. That set of tires was replaced with the Road 5 after, let's see . . . . 9,277 miles (WOW! The number came from my maintenance record that I keeps, and I thought that the miles was more like 8,500, from memory), and the wear bars were well below the surface. I think that I could have gone for another 4k miles. The last straw for me was, for some unknown and unexplainable reasons, the bike was forcing me to force some very heavy counter-steer for low-speed turns, and it was getting worse as the miles piled up. I don't think that front tire cupping had anything to do with it, because the cupping was very light even at this mileage.

Reactions: MBevans

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes. I use those pressures regardless of tires. Perhaps you are thinking that I should lower the pressure of the rear tire to perhaps get a better grip, and I had thought of that as well, but I never did get around to trying, because the cumulative of "things" that I didn't like got so bad, for me, so that I gave up in disgust. That set of tires was replaced with the Road 5 after, let's see . . . . 9,277 miles (WOW! The number came from my maintenance record that I keeps, and I thought that the miles was more like 8,500, from memory), and the wear bars were well below the surface. I think that I could have gone for another 4k miles. The last straw for me was, for some unknown and unexplainable reasons, the bike was forcing me to force some very heavy counter-steer for low-speed turns, and it was getting worse as the miles piled up. I don't think that front tire cupping had anything to do with it, because the cupping was very light even at this mileage.
Very very interesting! With pressures I don’t think there’s a right or wrong, within reason. I’ve been running 38/40 with the Angel GT A-spec. They’re still good or as good as the new PR4GTs I had on for a short while. But they’re losing their soft (magic-carpet) ride from new @7500 miles. With still enjoying the Angel GT front tire, my rear tire is getting a little noisy “grumbly” I call it. I live 18 miles from a major town with a constant beautiful stretch of twisty-twisty asphalt so I test my bikes grip a couple times a week

9,277 is IMHO still good, not great. After you get some miles on those 5’s give us your opinion.

With the negative reviews on the Angel GT II’s I might be looking for another set of the original Angel GT A-spec tires next month prior to my departure to Canada.

Thanks kindly!
M

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just received my Road 5 GTs. Installation pending.
Hoping they are quieter than Pirelli Angel GT got that are currently on the 05 RT.
Will update when riding weather arrives.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I guess it depends..I’ve rode on nothing but PR4GTs on my RT. I mostly commute to work one way 60 miles. I used to get cupping on the front wheel until I bumped up the psi to 40. My tires have lasted 10k+ miles. They’ve held up in torrential rain, and even the occasional canyon carving, they’ve done fine. My local BMW dealership still has the PR4s. I’ll use them until they run out, then I’ll switch to the 5s...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
I just had Road 5 GT's mounted to replace the 4 GTs. Currently still scuffing them in.
Had them mounted in Alb, then hit the interstate home to Clovis.
Ride home was pretty unsettled. Bike wallowed at higher speeds pretty bad - I think worse than the PR4's when they were new.
Only have 250 miles on them so far but I can tell they're starting to settle in - slowly.
Headed to Provo, UT Wednesday. Will report back when I get home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had my PR5 GTs on for just over 1000 miles and they seem to be fine. Handling and comfort is very good - only time will tell on tyre life. I am running them at 38/42.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
293 Posts
only time will tell on tyre life
I put in that time on an '06 RT with the Road 5 GT tyres. I got an extra 5000 km out of them compared to the PR4 GTs. I ran records on the purchase times and mileage. One caveat: I used balance beads in the tyres and they claim that it will extend the life too. I cannot prove if it was Michelin or the beads that gifted me the extra 5k.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Has anyone had a chance to personally tried the Michelin Pilot Road 5 GT tire on their R1200RTW,
Would like to have some First hand feedback on this series tire.
Gotta love it. OP asks specifically about the Road 5 GT, gets responses all over the place. So I will add mine.

Currently happy with my Road 5 non GT, after a week in the Rockies two up and fully loaded. And I run Dumlop American Elite on my Harley Ultra.

Isn't this fun!

·
Registered
374 Posts
We’re all slightly different in what we perceive or “feel” from a tire and of course which bikes we use them on.
I spent years (almost 40k miles) sport-touring on a Ducati ST4S with bags and a top box flogging/logging lots of miles with (PR2 great tires) (PR3 ok almost great tire) the (PR4 rumbled and rolled horrible tire).

Then came my pretty new R1200RT, the OEM PR4GT. After 1000 miles I tossed them, they rumbled slipped many times and showed signs of cupping to come, they might have been good or great for long super-slab touring, but that’s not where I live or ride. I like and prefer roads less traveled.
So like yourself I installed a set of Angel GT’s to the RT, love loved loved them! Smooth soft feeling durable grippy confident in rain and grooved roads.

Fast forward to today the RT didn’t see much riding last year as I was a field engineer traveling extensively, yet today finally retired I’m riding weekly and planning some great long trips in my future. But with 7500 miles on these Angel GTs the front is still a sweet tire as its quiet and changes direction without thinking twice, but the rear is getting grumbly, a little slip here or there on my roads, but no oh-sh*t moments yet. I will need tires soon, as the front Angel GT is less than 2mm and the rear is less than 3mm. But dammit I loved those tires.

The new Road 5 GT tires look to have many traits similar to the older PR4GTs which leaves me a little cold to the brand these days so not sure which way to go in the next few weeks, maybe I’ll suck it up and buy another set of Angels? Not sure.
Or step outside my comfort zone and try something different?
I am starting to think that the age of the tires had something to do with it????
Reason I say this is because when I purchased my 2nd Hand 2005 Hexhead from the dealer, it came with the Angel tires on them. Now we have a road here where I live that is the Old Oxley HWY from Wauchope to Walcha which is very similar to your famous Dragon ??.
Anyway, when I rode with a group of us up the mountain for the 1st time....these angels scared the crap out of me. Crossing the middle line in a sharp turn and it would slip like crazy when hitting the painted middle stripes.
So I went back to the dealer and had them replaced with the PR3's (can't remember if these were GT's).
Next run totally different experience....zero slipping. Still took me a few runs to get rid of the paranoia..LOL
Now having said that, the Angels did look quite old and might have gone hard due to age, which were then replaced by brand new tires that might have come out of the factory less then 6 months ago. So the new ones would have had a lot more grip due to the softness/stickiness of the the fresh rubber.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
293 Posts
Crossing the middle line in a sharp turn and it would slip like crazy when hitting the painted middle stripes.
Not sure about NSW, but in WA all road marking paint must be slip resistant. This is information directly from Main Roads. Has been like that for years, would be surprised if NSW would allow anything slippery.

@Renzo can you edit your topic title and remove "Pilot" from it? Michelin renamed the range of hoops to "Road 5" ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not sure about NSW, but in WA all road marking paint must be slip resistant. This is information directly from Main Roads. Has been like that for years, would be surprised if NSW would allow anything slippery.

@Renzo can you edit your topic title and remove "Pilot" from it? Michelin renamed the range of hoops to "Road 5" ;)
She was slippery alright. When we got to Gingers Creek (Half Way Stop), I asked others in the group and nobody else had that issue. This was on a dry sunny day and late enough not to have any dew left on the surface.

·
Registered
'21 RT
45 Posts
I do motorcycle track days and LOVE the Michelin Power Cup 2 tires, just fantastic. I think all the newer Michelin’s are using the soft carcass design. My RT has the Road 5 GTs and they are terrific. 40° lean angle, will stop hard enough to lift the rear tire and they are the bomb on wet roads.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Just in from Provo, UT ride.

Bottom line - on my 15 RTW, these tires are a serious problem. The problem I noted earlier about wallowing has not only not improved, it was gotten worse, trying hard to degrade further to a speed wobble. The bike handling is simply too light. Any irregularity in road surface or winds, for example passing trucks, normal - light - wind gusts will start to wallowing I noted in my earlier post. At one point the wallow transitioned to a wobble but I was able to cut speed fast enough to prevent it from becoming a disaster.

On the ride to/from Provo, I made a few pressure adjustments to see if it would improved handling but no joy.

Just a reminder - when I rode to Alb 6/17/21 - I was on my second rear PR4GT [due to an earlier puncture] - same front PR4 GT's that were rock solid from the day I bought the bike 7/06/19 with 27,195 miles on it.

Nothing on the bike changed from a week after I bought it when I added my hydration system, windshield, top box and the bike cover bag.

Then headed to Greenville, NC for the finish of the 19 IBR. The bike today remains the same. The problem with the PR5's was immediate. On the way home [200 miles from my dealer] , the instability was immediately felt. I decided I needed to scrub the tires in before making a judgement.

Jury is in - these tires are dangerous on my 2015 R1200RTW. Current mileage [aka, tires damn well scrubbed in] is 42256.

I'll be calling Michelin tomorrow. I'll be back on PR4GT's before long.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts