BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Interesting thread. In the UK I rarely get more than 7k out of a set of tyres, that is them down to 2mm tread depth, legal limit is 1mm, but for me, when they start to go off I change them, tyres are a small cost in the scheme of things.

On the point about the 5s and 5GTs, below is an email from Michelin Europe tech to me, stating that even on the RT you should not fit the 5s and should wait for the GT tyres, this was before the GTs were available, so make your own mind up. It does though depend if you ride solo and never are fully loaded I guess.

Hello Robert,

Thanks for the interest in Michelin tyres for your bike.

The Pilot Road 4 GT was developed while working closely with BMW to adapt the standard Pilot Road 4 to better suit the particular demands of the R 1200 RT and a short list of other bikes. Michelin were not entirely happy with the handling of the bike when using the standard tyres, in particular when/if the bike was pushed quite hard, and we engineered a solution to ensure rider satisfaction.

The solution was to create a new casing construction with optimised ply angles, made possible by a new assembly process to increase cornering stiffness. Cornering stifness has increased by 15% without resorting to increasing the number of casing plies which otherwise would have added approx 700g to the weight of the tyre. This construction guarantees the stability of the bike at speed without sacrificing comfort.

The Pilot Road 4 GT remains our recommended fitment for your bike, and the standard Road 5 tyres are not recommended. We are developing a Road 5 GT tyre, but it will not be available in 2018.

I hope that this helps,

Best regards,

2w Customer Engineering Support – Operational Marketing

Europe North and Russia

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am on my second set of PR5s. I have a 1250RT-P which came with PR5s. I just changed them out 1,000 miles ago at the 12,000 mile service. There was still life in the tires, but it is more convenient to do all services together and I did not think the tres would make it to 18,000 miles. If I could figure out how to attach a photo, I would show you the remaining tread. Very happy with the tire on this bike.
Those pictured are not Michelin Road 5s, GT or otherwise. Michelin Pilot Road 4s are pictured.

I am on Road 5s (non GT) and the front was just replaced at 10,621 miles. Bike is a 2007 RT. It might have had 10% left in it but I was headed to the Smokies for a (socially distant) camping trip. The rear still has 3/32" tread. I'm very happy with these tires unlike previous Michelins.

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
That’s what I thought too. But having never seen a standard PR5...
This is exactly why I was nit-picking about the name of the tire!!!! :) There is no such thing as a PR5. Michelin now call it Road 5 instead of the Pilot Road series of the past!

Look at the post above yours, and you will see what the Road 5 looks like!! ;)

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Yes I get it names mean stuff. I still think of these tires is the pilot family of tires. My OEM tires said Road five on the side. I ordered a set of replacements and they to say Road five on them. I agree that the tread in my picture does not look like the tread posted for the road five. The non-OEM tires I just mounted do look like the picture of the road five.

That said we were probably comparing apples to oranges. I ride 24,000 miles per year. I am on a police bike without a pillion seat. I am not overweight. I got 12,000+ miles on my last set of tires and I expect to get the same on the new set of tires. I would post a picture of the sidewall of the first set but the junkman has already taken them away. Here is a picture of the new set.

Attachments

·
Cat Herder
1,578 Posts
Same tire I just put on. When you order a set of PR5 tires, this is what you get. I have never been able to find the GT's. The price of these have gone way up.
I have used the PR4 GT's and it was not worth the extra cash. I don't ride so aggressive that I need that extra extra

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had Road 5’s put on my R1250RT before the Road 5GT’s were available. My weight is 266 and when I travel I pack up pretty heavy with tools and clothes and gear. I do not ride 2 up. After reading this thread I am concerned I my be at risk with the Road 5’s. Before the 5GT’s were available I am sure they were recommended for the RT. Not concerned if they just wear out quicker. I do not call myself an aggressive reader, but I am a technical rider taking advantage of curses with a safety margin. Wonder if I should switch them out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
I thought about buy the new Road 5, but they are about $70.00 for front or back tires.
The 180/55ZR-17 (73W) Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact O-Spec Rear Motorcycle Tire seems to work fine.

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
I had Road 5’s put on my R1250RT before the Road 5GT’s were available. My weight is 266 and when I travel I pack up pretty heavy with tools and clothes and gear. I do not ride 2 up. After reading this thread I am concerned I my be at risk with the Road 5’s. Before the 5GT’s were available I am sure they were recommended for the RT. Not concerned if they just wear out quicker. I do not call myself an aggressive reader, but I am a technical rider taking advantage of curses with a safety margin. Wonder if I should switch them out

The regular Road 5 were never recommended for the RT. We were always told to wait for the GT. OTOH, I also have the regular 5 on my RT at present. The GT was available when I placed the order back in March, but I made a careless mistake and ordered the regular 5 instead of the GT. I had them put on my RT rather than returning them, since I am not worried about the loading. To ease your own mind, take a look at the Michelin's load specification for both tires, and I think that you will find them to be the same. The difference between was pointed out in earlier post, with the quote of an email from Michelin, which indicated that the GTs simply have different tire carcass (stiffer) to be better matched to the RT. I would have preferred to have the GT, but got too lazy to make the exchange and wanted to see how the regular 5 felt.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The regular Road 5 were never recommended for the RT. We were always told to wait for the GT. OTOH, I also have the regular 5 on my RT at present. The GT was available when I placed the order back in March, but I made a careless mistake and ordered the regular 5 instead of the GT. I had them put on my RT rather than returning them, since I am not worried about the loading. To ease your own mind, take a look at the Michelin's load specification for both tires, and I think that you will find them to be the same. The difference between was pointed out in earlier post, with the quote of an email from Michelin, which indicated that the GTs simply have different tire carcass (stiffer) to be better matched to the RT. I would have preferred to have the GT, but got too lazy to make the exchange and wanted to see how the regular 5 felt.

Thanks, that does ease my mind. How many miles do you have on the road 5? I have about 500 miles and they seems to handle very nice. Way to early to see uneven wear, I don’t get concerned about mileage longevity as long as they keep me safe.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I have the Road 5 GT's on my 16 RT. I was confused in the early part of this thread calling the R5 the PR5. They are no longer Pilot. Interesting on this tire. Max tire pressure cold is 42 psi. Both front and rear are marked with this pressure. I usually inflate tires to 2 psi over recommended. I think I will keep the rear at 42 and bump the front to 38 - 40 for a trial.

I had the new tires put on about a month ago. Only have about 2 hundred miles on. Covid keeps my saddle cold. I always notice a major feel in handling when I change from the old squared out tire to a fresh rounded profile tire. I one time got 9 K miles on a tire. I was pushing it down to wear bars. When I took the wheel off I noticed the cords were just starting to appear. I usually get about 7 K miles on a set.

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
Thanks, that does ease my mind. How many miles do you have on the road 5? I have about 500 miles and they seems to handle very nice. Way to early to see uneven wear, I don’t get concerned about mileage longevity as long as they keep me safe.

I have roughly the same magnitude of mileage on the R5 as you. I didn't do any riding while OH was in lock-down, and we just came off that not many days ago. Took off for a nice long 200+ miles ride on Sunday. So far, I do like this tire, but after the Angel GT that I had on prior to this, I am going to reserve my judgement until after a few thousand miles! On top of that, I haven't really put the bike through it's normal paces, because I am still a little spooked with the experience that I had with the Angel GT as it got past 7.5k - 8k miles mark. Not a pleasant experience to have the rear tire slips several inches while you are hard over, in the turns that you know really well. That had happened several times, again, with the Angel GT after about 7.5k miles.

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
I have roughly the same magnitude of mileage on the R5 as you. I didn't do any riding while OH was in lock-down, and we just came off that not many days ago. Took off for a nice long 200+ miles ride on Sunday. So far, I do like this tire, but after the Angel GT that I had on prior to this, I am going to reserve my judgement until after a few thousand miles! On top of that, I haven't really put the bike through it's normal paces, because I am still a little spooked with the experience that I had with the Angel GT as it got past 7.5k - 8k miles mark. Not a pleasant experience to have the rear tire slips several inches while you are hard over, in the turns that you know really well. That had happened several times, again, with the Angel GT after about 7.5k miles.
That’s not good to hear about the Angel GTs - I spooned a set of those onto my RT last summer and so far, really like them. I had a set on my old RT too, but didn’t get too many miles on them before that RT met with a deer. I’ll have to keep an eye on them.

I’m thinking Roadsmart IIIs for the next set.

Sorry, thread hijack over.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have about 6000 miles on a pair of Road 5 (not GT) and really like them. I have found the tires to work well in dry or wet conditions, and seem to be wearing quite well. I'd be happy to go with another set when I swap these out.

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
That’s not good to hear about the Angel GTs - I spooned a set of those onto my RT last summer and so far, really like them. I had a set on my old RT too, but didn’t get too many miles on them before that RT met with a deer. I’ll have to keep an eye on them.

I’m thinking Roadsmart IIIs for the next set.

Sorry, thread hijack over.
Hi Tom!

You may not experience the same thing as I did, unless you have the same riding style as I do! The Angel GT is a dual-compound tire, just like all of the PR series and the new Road 5. The harder compound is in the center of the tire, while the softer (grippier) compound starts somewhere up away from the center. Getting slippage when leaned hard over means that I was 100% on the soft material of the Angel GT, and it isn't as good as the equivalent material of the PRs that I have had (PR2, PR3GT, PR4GT), or the Metzler Z8 that came from the factory on my '15 RT. There are other issues with the tire, and you should look at what I wrote in this recent thread, Post #22: https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/185687-r1250rt-ready-new-tires.html

Initially, I thought that the Angel GT was going to be my all-time best tire, but that changed as the miles built up.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hi Tom!

You may not experience the same thing as I did, unless you have the same riding style as I do! The Angel GT is a dual-compound tire, just like all of the PR series and the new Road 5. The harder compound is in the center of the tire, while the softer (grippier) compound starts somewhere up away from the center. Getting slippage when leaned hard over means that I was 100% on the soft material of the Angel GT, and it isn't as good as the equivalent material of the PRs that I have had (PR2, PR3GT, PR4GT), or the Metzler Z8 that came from the factory on my '15 RT. There are other issues with the tire, and you should look at what I wrote in this recent thread, Post #22: https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/185687-r1250rt-ready-new-tires.html

Initially, I thought that the Angel GT was going to be my all-time best tire, but that changed as the miles built up.
Now that the Angel GT II is out, it all might be different anyway.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts