BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any use or thoughts, anecdotes about the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Not for the LT, it's too heavy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im a noob to tires for heavy bikes, what exactly is the sidewall rating of 79 and how would it affect the ride if say, you went tiwht a 70 or even less? I ask for the education. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
Im a noob to tires for heavy bikes, what exactly is the sidewall rating of 79 and how would it affect the ride if say, you went tiwht a 70 or even less? I ask for the education. Thanks.
There are many web sites that show the mapping of load rating to weight.

Ride probably isn't much affected until the tire overheats and blows out which makes the ride more squirrelly. :smile:

The bigger ride issue on the LT is probably related to the REINF sidewall requirement. I don't know, but I suspect standard 79 tires didn't have stiff enough sidewalls even though they had the raw weight capacity. Tire ratings aren't independent. They interact in complex ways. Going outside the manufacturers specifications can be exciting given the right confluence of events.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
The front will work OK just don't try the rear. I use the Bridgestone B020 for the rear and I will try a PR4 GT on the front next time as I run them both on my K1300GT and love them. But the GT is 350 lbs less than the LT.

Reactions: 58caddy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive researched this subject and it seems as popular and as whacky as a "whats the best Oil" thread. I guess everyone has their preferences, but I dont want to skimp on safety at all.

I didnt research this before going to the store to get a front tire installed. I had Bt-020 on the front , but it had bubbles on it. So I got the front tire changed today. Ive had the bike since Sept of 16. They had the Pilot 4 in stock and said it was ok for the bike. I asked about the rear and they said they have them in stock and when I was ready, they could put on a Pilot 4 back tire.

The back tire is still a Battleaxe tire.

I just chatted with Michelin and they tell me that they dont make a Pilot Road 4 for the LK. They also advised not to mix different model tires.

I rode the bike around the block , so far, and am afraid to ride it further as it may jeopardize what goes on tomorrow with this dealer and a safety factor.

I have to admit, it shook like crazy and you couldnt ride no handed at all with the bubbled tire, todays short jaunt, was true as an arrow with no hands ( for a brief moment).

What would you do in this situation? Would you just say go for a Pilot 4 and run with it, or should I go with a different Michein, they said that the Commander II and the Scorcher 31 are rated for the LT.

I know its alot, but Im lost as to what to do.

Any advice you offer would be greatly appreciated.

I reside in Indianapolis, so theres not a lot of twisty turns around this flat place.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I reside in Indianapolis, so theres not a lot of twisty turns around this flat place.
On the eastside, take a cruise up Fall Creek Road. That's a fun one! Start about 56th street and ride it out to Geist.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The only radial tire weight rated and with a reinforced sidewall is the Avon storm 3dxm. There are a few bias ply tires. The Bridgestone Bt020. Shinko makes a reinforced rear tire. Not sure of the model. And Metzeler makes a replacement for the original ME 880. The ME 888 i think it is that's weight rated. I have mixed tire brands by looking to see if they have similar tread patterns with great results. Just don't mix radials and bias.I'm running Avon radials now. But next time, may try a Pr4 up front and a Bridgestone BT020 on the rear. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Guitarlos

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the eastside, take a cruise up Fall Creek Road. That's a fun one! Start about 56th street and ride it out to Geist.
Thats one rough road! lol

I love heading towards Brown County when I get time to go, love it there.

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
Ive researched this subject and it seems as popular and as whacky as a "whats the best Oil" thread. I guess everyone has their preferences, but I dont want to skimp on safety at all.

I didnt research this before going to the store to get a front tire installed. I had Bt-020 on the front , but it had bubbles on it. So I got the front tire changed today. Ive had the bike since Sept of 16. They had the Pilot 4 in stock and said it was ok for the bike. I asked about the rear and they said they have them in stock and when I was ready, they could put on a Pilot 4 back tire.

The back tire is still a Battleaxe tire.

I just chatted with Michelin and they tell me that they dont make a Pilot Road 4 for the LK. They also advised not to mix different model tires.

I rode the bike around the block , so far, and am afraid to ride it further as it may jeopardize what goes on tomorrow with this dealer and a safety factor.

I have to admit, it shook like crazy and you couldnt ride no handed at all with the bubbled tire, todays short jaunt, was true as an arrow with no hands ( for a brief moment).

What would you do in this situation? Would you just say go for a Pilot 4 and run with it, or should I go with a different Michein, they said that the Commander II and the Scorcher 31 are rated for the LT.

I know its alot, but Im lost as to what to do.

Any advice you offer would be greatly appreciated.

Might want to add at least the year of your bike to your sig file. Many things, including tires, depend on the model year.

Reactions: Guitarlos

·
Registered
48 Posts
Another issue to think about, having a tire that "fits" but is not load rated can cause serious issues with insurance if things go badly and it's determined your tires had some fault in it.
This bike is one of the heaviest on the road and BMW made sure to make an oddball sized tire that no one else uses, like they do with most everything else they do.
As others have said The Bridgestone Battleaxe BT020 bias ply are great tires and cost less than the Metzlers. They were also OEM tires from 2005-2009.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I ride an 02 LT and have run a set of Michelin Road Pilots and Commanders; no problem. Mileage sucked at only 6500 miles. The best I've ever had with the best mileage is the Marathon ME888. Currently over 12000 miles and still wearing great; I might add that I run them with Nitrogen.

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
I ride an 02 LT and have run a set of Michelin Road Pilots and Commanders; no problem. Mileage sucked at only 6500 miles. The best I've ever had with the best mileage is the Marathon ME888. Currently over 12000 miles and still wearing great; I might add that I run them with Nitrogen.
I run 80% nitrogen in my tires. :grin:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone have any use or thoughts, anecdotes about the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires?
Yes, I used on 2007 K1200gt, the tires are nice but you have to keep tire pressure up otherwise it will scallops (cupping). PR4 do come in 2 versions regular PR4 or Print, the GT has reinforce side wall for heavier motorcycle. You can shop for them at www.compacc.com or www.denniskirk.com, I sold my GT and went to RT with Metzler Z8, got caught in a rain storm earlier this year and I was surprised and happy that Metzler tracked and handled well in wet weather at 75 Mph.

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, I used on 2007 K1200gt, the tires are nice but you have to keep tire pressure up otherwise it will scallops (cupping). PR4 do come in 2 versions regular PR4 or Print, the GT has reinforce side wall for heavier motorcycle. You can shop for them at www.compacc.com or www.denniskirk.com, I sold my GT and went to RT with Metzler Z8, got caught in a rain storm earlier this year and I was surprised and happy that Metzler tracked and handled well in wet weather at 75 Mph.

Sorry for auto correct, not print but GT.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not sure about the Road 4's, but I'm running Pilot 3 on front and Avon Storm on rear. No problemos, never --- runs, rides, corners like it should. I will add that the rear must say 79 REINF for the weight of this flying brick. Good luck and "watch the idiots"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts