BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
METZELER TIRE 160/70R17 ROADTEC Z6
An eBay seller claims Metzler told him this tire is approved for the K1200LT. When I go to the Metzler site and use their search app and fill in our bike the site only lists the ME 880 and 888.

Any comments. Is this new tire a valid option?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
another tyre thread,,:crying:,I tried them a bit squirriley with the trailer on the back tyre life was a lot less., personally I wouldn't use them again.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
METZELER TIRE 160/70R17 ROADTEC Z6
An eBay seller claims Metzler told him this tire is approved for the K1200LT. When I go to the Metzler site and use their search app and fill in our bike the site only lists the ME 880 and 888.

Any comments. Is this new tire a valid option?
Unless things have changed, that tire is not weight rated for the K1200LT. I wouldn't go for it; I'd trust the Metzler fitment guide that calls for 880/888.

I just perused the Metlzer catalog online. The Marathon 880/888 tires recommended for the K1200LT have the term "REINF". I didn't see that for the Roadtec Z6.

Folks can choose to do anything; I ride two up, sometimes with a load of gear. I wouldn't use a tire not rated for the KLT. However, one up, no gear, and a willingness to take your changes, it'll probably work.
YMMV

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, Z6 was my only option about one year ago. Could not find anything else. The behavior is good on any road but the front howling effect when leaning both sides is still present.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Well, Z6 was my only option about one year ago. Could not find anything else. The behavior is good on any road but the front howling effect when leaning both sides is still present.
Cupping is very common on the front. First time I heard it I thought it was a bearing issue. A new skin solved the noise issue.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
new skin = new tyre
as mentioned they are not weight rated, z6 is a radial and probably the closest alternative to a battleaxe and avon storm, which I would use in preference as a radial rather than a z6 but as I said I have used one on the back it covered 12300 km and yes the bike did move around on the back due non reinforced sidewalls

·
Registered
211 Posts
new skin= new tyre
Thanks Axle.
Mine did not cure with the new tires even the first day, week or month. For this I replaced the front bearings as well. No change. Checked my tupperware for looseness. Nothing. Finally, when I removed my windshield and test rode it was so quiet that I had the impression I was on another bike. The cavity of the windshield does all. Reflects and boosts all the noises that come from below when riding.

·
Registered
211 Posts
new skin = new tyre
as mentioned they are not weight rated, z6 is a radial and probably the closest alternative to a battleaxe and avon storm, which I would use in preference as a radial rather than a z6 but as I said I have used one on the back it covered 12300 km and yes the bike did move around on the back due non reinforced sidewalls
You mean, the tyres pressure was correct and it was moving around? I never felt something like this on mine.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
thats a new one, tyres have a distinct howl usually when leaning into bends not going straight along the road, have you adjusted the screen to find the sweet spot? there is foam that goes around the base of the lower handle bar cover the round one , mine fell out years ago that adds a bit of road noise to the rider

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
You mean, the tyres pressure was correct and it was moving around? I never felt something like this on mine.
if you put a non rated incorrect non reinforced tyre on the rear you will soon know what I am on about, do not screw around with tyres, there are only a couple of tyres recommended for the LT the list has been posted numerous times. a z6 is NOT suitable for an LT, yes like many others it will fit..

·
Registered
211 Posts
thats a new one, tyres have a distinct howl usually when leaning into bends not going straight along the road, have you adjusted the screen to find the sweet spot? there is foam that goes around the base of the lower handle bar cover the round one , mine fell out years ago that adds a bit of road noise to the rider
did not play with the screen position. I will try this. Replaced the foam last February. No change.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand the need to use only the correct tire. I found this tire listed on eBay by a motorcycle business as fitting the K1200LT. I used the tire finder on the Metzler website and it was not listed. I emailed the seller and he replied he asked his Metzler rep who said the tire was fine for the K1200LT. I sent him more information and he said thanks. He is going directly to Metzler with the question about the tire. He will let me know what Metzler says. He seems like a genuinely concerned seller.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,922 Posts
Again that is a rear tire and you need to see the term "REINF" on the side wall or don't buy it period.

·
Cat Herder
1,442 Posts
No... it will not hold the weight. The LT needs heavy duty rubber.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
No... it will not hold the weight. The LT needs heavy duty rubber.
Certainly not a tire/tyre expert but reinforced probably refers to additional vulcanized belts or cord in the sidewall.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Unless things have changed, that tire is not weight rated for the K1200LT. I wouldn't go for it; I'd trust the Metzler fitment guide that calls for 880/888.

I just perused the Metlzer catalog online. The Marathon 880/888 tires recommended for the K1200LT have the term "REINF". I didn't see that for the Roadtec Z6.

Folks can choose to do anything; I ride two up, sometimes with a load of gear. I wouldn't use a tire not rated for the KLT. However, one up, no gear, and a willingness to take your changes, it'll probably work.
YMMV
100% agree with the above, but have to add a clarification: Only the rear tire needs the weight rating and "REINF" imprint. The front ME880/888 is fine for the LT.

If you choose to save a few $$ and buy an inadequately rated tire, you are just asking for trouble. It may not find you, and you may also win the Lotto. Wanna gamble?

·
Registered
596 Posts
A salesman will say anything to sell his product.Usually his only interest is unloading his product and making you believe it will work.

I went in to buy a pair of size eleven shoes once. They did not have any in stock but he was more than willing to sell me a size nine.

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
Excuse my shoes they don't quite fit
They're a special offer and they hurt me a bit
Even my trousers are giving me pain
They were reduced in a sale so I shouldn't complain
They squeeze me so tight so I can't take no more
They're size 28 but I take 34

I'm on a low budget
I'm on a low budget
I'm not cheap, you understand