BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be the first to admit that on the accessories page noted that the Metzeler 880's sacrifices traction over high mileage. I would have to disagree, if it is given that these are the mileage king then let it be but to say these have less traction than the BT020 is highly mistaken. I just installed a new set of these and did a 540-mile ride through Sonora and Ebbetts Pass just southwest of Lake Tahoe. And as an avid racetrack rider with a sportbike I can assure you I would know when traction is limited and these did not. Infact, if these were high mileage tires then it would be considered a very hard compound tire irregardless of the sidewall structure. Also when tires are new and have been heated up the chemicals in the tire will essentially blend in together to create the adhesion properties for tires to work better. Anyhow on this "spirited" ride through the scenic valleys and mountain ranges I have yet to feel the front or rear tire give any indication that it was loosing its traction. I was so impressed with it I pushed the bike (since the k1200lt acts like a sportbike) to a 7/10th pace keeping up with other riders with an Aprillia RSV-R, Honda VFR750, and Suzuki SV650. Funny thing was that my only limitation was an angular deficiency. I may be the only one to admit this but I love the k1200lt and I love to push the bike to its limit being in 4th gear at 5K rpm on a 35 mph turn.

Overall I just wanted to share my experiences on the 880's and debunk the myth. Thanks

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have to pretty much agree with you. In 7,200 miles with my set of 880's-some in the rain-I have had no problems. They look like they probably have that many miles left. Many people claim the 880's don't have as much traction as other brands. They may be right when pushed to the limit. I have only used the Excedra's that came with it and the Dunlop 205's but I had no problems with either of those except for mileage. They may push it harder than you do. I know there are many that push the limits more than I do. All I can say for sure is that the 880's work fine for me and unless someone comes up with something that lasts longer I will replace them with new ones when the time comes.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I have no issue with their traction. But the way they growl in the twisties is NOT very confidence-inspiring. They sound like they're ready to fly apart. Then there's their profile. Once you've ridden an LT with radials, the Metzelers feel very BLAH. You really have to push the bike down, instead of it falling naturally.

Currently, I am running a sets of Metzelers. My next set will be the new Bridgestone bias-ply 020s. I'm hoping they won't delaminate like the B'Stone radial 020s . . . and I've heard their profile is very radial-like. We'll see.

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
I originally had the BT-010's which stuck like glue. Then because the BT-010s wore out so quick (3500 miles), I tried the ME 880s. The ME880 was the scariest tire I have ever ridden on. Slips and slides on tar snakes, was terrible on wet roads, and was downright dangerous if you ever were to hit a wet lane stripe in a corner. After that, every tar snake, every wet road, and even the painted lane stripes could became a mental pucker moment. I lost confidence in them quickly and went back to the BT-020. I've never looked back. Nearly 70K miles on BT-020s and no problems (except that I only get 7000-8000 miles out of a set). I'll sacrifice mileage for better traction any day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My old set of 880 did growl on turns but this is with the original owner and as you can expect the center is mostly used and there are chicken strips exsist on both of them. I would have to assume that the growling noise is generated by the resulted odd profile of the tyre. We'll see if it happens on another 2k miles of twisty roads. As for pushing the bike to its limit I would fairly say that can push the bike to its limit possibly more than most. I could scrape the bike so often that on the trip, I could hear it get louder and louder so I raise the angle of the bike a little and "hang-off" the bike just to give it that extra room but it still scrapes. I am thinking of removing the centerstand to increase the lean angle but I'll see it it is worth it. Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
eljeffe said:
I originally had the BT-010's which stuck like glue. Then because the BT-010s wore out so quick (3500 miles), I tried the ME 880s. The ME880 was the scariest tire I have ever ridden on. Slips and slides on tar snakes, was terrible on wet roads, and was downright dangerous if you ever were to hit a wet lane stripe in a corner. After that, every tar snake, every wet road, and even the painted lane stripes could became a mental pucker moment. I lost confidence in them quickly and went back to the BT-020. I've never looked back. Nearly 70K miles on BT-020s and no problems (except that I only get 7000-8000 miles out of a set). I'll sacrifice mileage for better traction any day.
Sorry to hear that you have experienced that but I rode through 32 degree weather at a 9K elevation and running through the stripes as well (not that often though) and didn't feel the 880 lost its traction. Possibly you need to raise the preload to stiffen up the bike to reduce the sag.

And just for fun. This is an indication on what we had to deal with on the roads as well.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I also have had slipping problems over tar snakes and a rare slip on wet roadswith the 880's. Since I am aware of this I compensate for these conditions and take the high milage.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Track Days

Try a set of 020's on your LT some time and get back to me.

B

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brainfry said:
Try a set of 020's on your LT some time and get back to me.

B

I sure will when I wear the 880 off :D But if I know someone who has 'em and would allow me to test ride it. I'll let you know.

BTW: Glad you are also another trackrider. Why sell you SV? Those are great bike to ride and race. I rode one and could kick the liter bike off the track :laughing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
020's

O_o said:
I sure will when I wear the 880 off :D But if I know someone who has 'em and would allow me to test ride it. I'll let you know.

Cool... I'd be curious to see what you think...(pros and cons to both) it's tough to find LT riders that truly flog 'em in the twisties.

B

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I have to agree O-o on this one. I have put about 110K on Metzelers and 12K on Bridgestones ( both Exedras and Bt 020's) The only slips I have had on the Metzelers were in loose gravel or oil spots where you would expect a slip. Never on a tar snake or centerline(we aren't suppose to ride on those are we Eljeffe). I may not ride as aggressive as some on this board, but I sure don't hold back. I do use common sense in wet weather and slow my habits. As for handling, I found that both brands deteriorate as they wear. To compare a worn out set of Metzelers to a new set of BT 020's is ludicrous.

Ron

·
Registered
335 Posts
O_o said:

BTW: Glad you are also another trackrider. Why sell you SV? Those are great bike to ride and race. I rode one and could kick the liter bike off the track :laughing.

... nice little ambulance ride off the track after a not so nice little crash in a race last year.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
I'm on my second set of Metzeler 880s and I'm generally happy with their grip and mileage. In the UK I've never had any kind of moment, even in the wet, but when I've been in France wet weather has made Katie twitch on white lining. I can only put it down to different materials being used. If there are alternatives available, I'd guess different States could use different ones and give the variations in experience we're hearing in this thread.

Keith

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have Metzlers on my 05 and have been very satisfied with them. No traction problems in the wet or when riding hard and fast. As a member of DA, I do want to respond to Joe's comment about "falling naturally". I don't think this has ever been a problem with the LT.

Ride Safe
Peter

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brainfry said:
... nice little ambulance ride off the track after a not so nice little crash in a race last year.
Ouch... Sorry to hear that. Glad you're OK.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
grifscoots said:
Huh? What you talking about, Willis?:rolleyes:

I also wondered why the original poster was only running 5g RPMs flogging thru a corner.
I was flogging through 30mph turns from approx 60 mph at a close to a 90 degree/chambered on 4th gear at 5K Rpm. The bike reacts much better than 3rd gear. The chassis reacts (breaks lose) at 3rd gear when engine breaking = not good for stability. :D Try it if you'd like and let me know, but I'm not responsible for any results. ;)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I argee with Eljeffe. The slippage is noticable on the 880's. That isn't to say some won't notice or care about it. My R100 GSPD came with Metzler Sahara's which also are a thrill on tar snakes. After a few thousand miles I some how learned to compensate and no longer notice it. That doesn't mean it's gone away or is no longer an issue. I may not worry about it anymore but I still follow safe practices when the snakes are present. I probably should have changed to a different tire years ago but liked the looks and the better then average dual sport capabilities. I was pissed when Metzler stopped making them. If you like the 880's and they work for you great. But tire physics still dictate a harder compound isn't going to have the traction of a softer compound and most BT users swear by it's wet capabilities.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Grif,

Just cause I haven't found any, doesn't mean that there AREN'T any... :)

B

·
Registered
91 Posts
O_o said:
Overall I just wanted to share my experiences on the 880's and debunk the myth. Thanks
I have to agree that I like the 880's as well. I get great handling and they last a long time. It is true that they howl as the miles get up there but it is worth it.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts