BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, now I am really confused. I have decided to change out my usual rubber stems with metal ones. I have looked through the archives and have found conflicting sizes. I just measured my usual rubber stems and the seat portion is .585 un-compressed. I am going to the supply house and need to know what to buy.
Thanks, Robert

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DanMartin said:
You want Camel 30-445 at Advance Auto

or

http://patchboy.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=17-559&Category_Code=6-3

These are what I have been using from
Patchboy.com

You need .453" size.

Somewhere is my garage is a bag of these.
Thanks, Dan. I ended up measuring my K1100LT hole and it was .453. I bought some of what you showed at O'Reillys but the washer on the lock nut is too big in diameter. I went to a local tire shop and he sold me some Ford specific valves for aluminum wheels with a spacer that fits the pocket in the wheel perfectly. I am going to make some stainless steel spacers on the lathe that will fit the pockets and allow the use of the original clamp nut on the O'Reilly valves. The Ford valves use a nut that is about the same size as a old fashioned M/C tube stem. Nothing wrong with that, just too easy to overtorque.
I'll post pictures later.

Robert

P.S: What was the date of the tech day?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
Thanks, Dan. I ended up measuring my K1100LT hole and it was .453. I bought some of what you showed at O'Reillys but the washer on the lock nut is too big in diameter. I went to a local tire shop and he sold me some Ford specific valves for aluminum wheels with a spacer that fits the pocket in the wheel perfectly. I am going to make some stainless steel spacers on the lathe that will fit the pockets and allow the use of the original clamp nut on the O'Reilly valves. The Ford valves use a nut that is about the same size as a old fashioned M/C tube stem. Nothing wrong with that, just too easy to overtorque.
I'll post pictures later.

Robert

P.S: What was the date of the tech day?
That is why I take a file and file down the ridge so that the washer sits flat.

Oct 20, providing I get the garage cleaned up a little.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I had the shop install a 45 degree stem in the front tire. I'm not sure if it's worse or better. Still hard to get air in the front tire. No room for my big paws........... :mad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts