BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done my due diligence and searched the boards, but haven't been able to find much detail on what metal valve stems seem to be favored.

I'm considering a TPS system, like Tiregard, so angled stems are out (sorry Kurveygirl) and I can only find one post about someone who used NAPA stems that were .453.
But I've also seen other posts about stems not fitting and grinding suggestions etc.

So what stems (and if there's a web link..bonus) are people using?

Oh ya, it's an 09 LT, if that makes a difference, like if in 06 they changed valve sizes..... It is BMW after all :D

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
The shorter the valve stem, the easier it is to add and check the air. A long rubber one is flexible and more prone to leak. I would guess that as long as it fits correctly, is short and metal, you should not have a problem. It has been that way on my 02 K1200LT for almost 50,000 miles. I don't have a brand or model number.

If I'm wrong, I hope that someone will explain why, as I'm always open to learning something new about this bike.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
What Rob said.........I got mine @ the local NAPA..............$00.02...... :cool:

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I get mine at any auto parts store or Cycle Gear. They are all around 10 bucks for two.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet, thanks everyone, I guess since no one mentioned grinding the wheels etc, that it isn't necessary... One my way to the autoparts store..

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
sittonb said:
Sweet, thanks everyone, I guess since no one mentioned grinding the wheels etc, that it isn't necessary... One my way to the autoparts store..
I've got them on mine, and didn't do any grinding. Had them on @ 4 sets of tires now, no problem. I was worried at 1st about the hole size, then realized that most stems come with either or grommets.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've had "billeted aluminum" angle valve stems with TireGard on my bike for over a year now with no problems. I use TireBeads and put 10,500 on a Storm II Ultra and am on my second tire now.

Alan Hinman
2000 K1200LT
2002 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado
1981 750 Virago
1968 Honda Trail 90
IBA # 39558

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
are they in line with the tire? (obviously) facing which way? with rotation or against? What's the angle of the stems?

·
Registered
39 Posts
They're 90 degree and facing toward left side side ( sitting on bike). I did use an air tool and remove some material on the rim to accommodate the dimension of the valve stem.

Alan Hinman
2000 K1200LT
2002 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado
1981 Virago 750
1968 Honda Trail 90
IBA #39558

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had my rear tire valve stem start leaking air and was able to find some metal ones that look a lot like the Camel ones pictured above. There were $5.99 for two of them. I got them at O'reilly's Auto Parts.

The front one isn't leaking yet so I haven't replaced it yet. But, I've got what I need if it needs replaced.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
turfherder said:
They're 90 degree and facing toward left side side ( sitting on bike). I did use an air tool and remove some material on the rim to accommodate the dimension of the valve stem.
Permanently installed angled valve stems (unless they are engineered into the wheel from the manufacturer) are generally not favored on motorcycle wheels since constant centripetal force can cause them to flex/vibrate and fail prematurely.

You may get away with it without any issues - but - I would not run them and strongly urge you to remove them in favor of straight ones.

Grinding is never needed to install the correct sized aftermarket stems on LT wheels.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I machined spacers to bring the nut and washer above the rim so I wouldn't have to cut the rim. I have a few extras if you need them. Let me know.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Make sure you thread a locking nut against the first nut that you thread onto the valve stem to keep it from turning out. (a jam nut) Vibration will cause the nut to work loose if you don't. I thought I had picked up a nail once and discovered the person who had installed my tire had left off the second nut.

·
Registered
494 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Chipper said:
Thanks Ron for the link, I just ordered a set of the metal valve stems, figured I'll try them on my new 09 LT when it comes time for tire changes....
If you're really bored one day you can install them without taking off the tires.

I used a short piece of 2X4, some thick leather (or similar) for mar protection and some big honking C-clamps.

Just put the scooter up on the center stand, position the 2X4 horizontally along the bottom of the tire and against the bead. Position the fixed part of the c clamps on the the opposite side of the rim with your mar protection. Deflate, then crank away equally on both clamps, pushing the 2X4 and bead to the opposite side of the rim... you'll have plenty of room to get your fingers in there. Make sure to tighten the new stems *snug* and not over tighten or you can crush the rubber seals. I used a drop of blue (medium strength) lock tite on the nuts just for grins.

Like I said - only if you're bored.... :D :wave

·
Registered
494 Posts
RonKMiller said:
If you're really bored one day you can install them without taking off the tires.

I used a short piece of 2X4, some thick leather (or similar) for mar protection and some big honking C-clamps.

Just put the scooter up on the center stand, position the 2X4 horizontally along the bottom of the tire and against the bead. Position the fixed part of the c clamps on the the opposite side of the rim with your mar protection. Deflate, then crank away equally on both clamps, pushing the 2X4 and bead to the opposite side of the rim... you'll have plenty of room to get your fingers in there. Make sure to tighten the new stems *snug* and not over tighten or you can crush the rubber seals. I used a drop of blue (medium strength) lock tite on the nuts just for grins.

Like I said - only if you're bored.... :D :wave
Thanks Ron, but I think I will do it when I change tires, I am on re-hab for awhile but not that bored

1 - 20 of 28 Posts