BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Garmin 590 LM, and a pair of their Tire Pressure monitors. I thought this was going to be an easy install. Not so far! I have been trying to find out what size metal valve stems to buy. I can't even find a BMW dealer that knows the size of the hole in the rim. Even found a BMW dealer that sells many kinds of metal valve stems, but they have no clue as to which ones fit my bike. BTW, it's a 2003 K1200LT.

Even if I can find a set of valve stems, I think I will have to do some grinding on the wheel to get rid of some of the center rib on the rim, to get a flat spot for the stem nut.

I could use some help in these matters, if at all possible. It would be nice to have the TPMS working for the ride to Billings!

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
MAX BMW's fiche says the stems are both 15mm. I don't recall where I bought them from, but waited to install the stems until I was due for new tires - took the tires and stems to my local dealer (West Valley Cycle Sales) where they installed and balanced them for about $95. Here are the pix of the front and rear to give you some perspective of what they look like on an '07 LT.... :bmw:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Kurveygirl.com is the place I bought them from...

1 x 3/4" Short Metal Valve Stem - Set (2pcs)

They were $7 plus $2.75 for shipping via USPS...:bmw:

Reactions: tvguy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Did any of you have to grind down that center ridge on the wheel to get the top nut to seat?

·
Cat Herder
1,486 Posts
Thanks for the info. Did any of you have to grind down that center ridge on the wheel to get the top nut to seat?
I depends on which stems you get. I did not have to grind down the center on my 2002 LT

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
The dealer installed mine, and looking at the two pictures I posted above, it looks like they would have had to do some grinding. In any event, it can't be too difficult to do.... :bmw:

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Did any of you have to grind down that center ridge on the wheel to get the top nut to seat?
On my 00 LT, I had to file (not grind) down the ridge in order for the metal stem to seat properly. The ridge is soft metal so it does not take much to file, or to scratch the rim while filing. Be careful!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, all! I'm going to check some local places for valve stems. This way I can liik at them in person. I will probably order from Kurveygirl to be safe.

Now, If I can just get my new 590LM to charge!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Now, If I can just get my new 590LM to charge!
Check the battery plug is properly inserted and try charging it while switched on. Sounds strange but it seems to work better on mine. Mine is due to go back after my holiday, I have seen mention of a different battery being installed.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I put the Kurvey Girl 3/4" short metal valve stems on both my LT & GT... none of the wheels required any filing or grinding and they have been holding air well for several years on the LT and now over 12 months on the GT.
I do use Slime or similar in the tyres though, which probably helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts