BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the fluid in the rear drive and in the gearbox today. Pretty simple procedure but I found some metal on both magnets on the drain plugs. I was told the bike had been serviced shortly before I purchased it in May but I don't know if that is actually true.

I did the rear drive first and when I looked at the magnet it looked like it was covered with some sludge. I cleaned the magnet off with a cloth and then used brake cleaner to finish the cleanup. I can tell with the magnet that the "sludge" is actually dirty metal filings. I figured I'd be tearing it apart real soon.

I then changed the gearbox and found a similar amount of build-up on the magnet. I cleaned all the oil away with brake cleaner to leave just the metal filings. I have attached a picture. Both magnets looked similar.

Is this normal or do I have problems? :confused:

Would it be possible for the rear bearing to be failing and leave this much metal and not have any oil leaking anywhere? The rear wheel turns smoothly.

Thanks,
Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Sounds ok

Normal to just have some "sludge" on the rear drive magnet. Anything more than that usually means it's time for a bearing..

Now the trans on the other hand has a lot of metal slamming around inside it..
So you're gonna see some small slivers of metal in the oil, That's normal too..

But what you want to watch out for is PARTS. well, pieces of parts anyway.
any chunks and you'll want to investigate more. You gotta have a good look at what you might find and decide if it's just a sliver off a gear or a piece of a bearing... Big difference in the two.....

I hope this answers your questions...

John

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,947 Posts
Kevin,

That is normal wear from the gears. The key is "shiny bits" stuck to the magnet which would be bearing debris. Rest easy you are OK.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone.

With all this talk of rear drive bearings I guess I'm a little bit paranoid. :rolleyes:

I switched to Mobil 1 in the gearbox and rear drive and the gearbox does seem more quiet now.

Thanks,
Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts