BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 K1200LT with 25,000 miles and just drained the transmission oil. After cleaning up the mess (I caught most of the oil in the drain pan), I noticed that a piece of metal was stuck to the drain plug magnet. It looks like part of a circlip--curved with a hole in one end. The piece measures about 1" long, about 1/8" wide, and about 1/16" thick. Placing the piece on a sheet of paper, I made an arc along the curve and continued with the arc to make a circle--it appears to have an outer diameter of "about" 1 and 5/8". I know this isn't very accurate but it gives me an idea of the size of the circlip--I don't know what else it could be.
Any suggestions/experience with gearbox problems, will be greatly appreciated.

Bill Sharpton
[email protected]
Lexington, SC
05 LT Ocean Blue Metallic

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sounds like major problems.I WOULD NOT ride it till I found out where this came from.I do know that lock rings like you discribed is used to hold transmission parts together.If it comes apart while riding the outcome could be tragic

·
Registered
504 Posts
Bill,
Here's a drawing of a tranny, as you can see circlips are present as with most trannies.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
wbsharp11 said:
I have a 2005 K1200LT with 25,000 miles and just drained the transmission oil. After cleaning up the mess (I caught most of the oil in the drain pan), I noticed that a piece of metal was stuck to the drain plug magnet. It looks like part of a circlip--curved with a hole in one end. The piece measures about 1" long, about 1/8" wide, and about 1/16" thick. Placing the piece on a sheet of paper, I made an arc along the curve and continued with the arc to make a circle--it appears to have an outer diameter of "about" 1 and 5/8". I know this isn't very accurate but it gives me an idea of the size of the circlip--I don't know what else it could be.
Any suggestions/experience with gearbox problems, will be greatly appreciated.

Bill Sharpton
[email protected]
Lexington, SC
Take the piece, and the bike (trailered to be safe) to your dealer for a warranty tranny replacement! No way that is safe to ride now.

Don Arthur had a transmission frag on him in city street turn, and he dropped it when the transmission froze up tight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I will trailer the bike to my dealer. I had a bad experience with an engine locking up, but that was on a Honda 305 Super Hawk in 1968--I've been lucky since.

Bill Sharpton
[email protected]
Lexington, SC

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Yup. Trailer it to the dealer. Show him the debris. If all is well with it, shifts OK and no noise, it might be repairable. Do NOT ride it, it might lock up at any time and cause a lot more damage.

Good for you for catching it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts