BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read previously where the left hand side outlet is the only one that isn't switched (hot all the time) so this is the one I use for the battery tender on the rare occassions I connect it, however, I just piggy-backed a 12 volt cigarette lighter type outlet onto the right side one thinking it was switched, so my GPS would turn off with the ignition. Not so, all 3 power outlets are hot all the time ! The wiring has not been touched, the bike is completely original. Anyone like to check their's ('05 or later) and report back, we may have a myth here.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Dennis, AFAIK its only the rear powerlet that switched, the 2 off the shin pads are permanently hot. I run all my stuff from the rear as its easy access through plug at the side of the speaker.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chris, I'll check again this evening, I may have had a senior moment when I checked the other day (hope not).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dennis,

I just got back from a 5 week road trip in the car. My '05 LT was plugged into the Battery Tender the whole time on the left side dashboard outlet. The Tender light was smiling at me with a green full charge sign. I have never used any other outlet for charging.

Bruce

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
TonyK (deputy5211) mentioned in another thread today that the right front is switched, so you may not have had a moment at all! I know for sure the left is hot, but never actually checked the right side....?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
cws said:
TonyK (deputy5211) mentioned in another thread today that the right front is switched, so you may not have had a moment at all! I know for sure the left is hot, but never actually checked the right side....?
Yup... My right side is switched. So is the LT's...

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
My 05' is not switched, just checked with my air compressor.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Quite odd, indeed.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Well, you did say you are "switched" Tony ;-P

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I owe you one, mate!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
heh, heh.... :wave

Joking aside, just checked all 3 powerlets on my '05.
The front 2 are definitely hot all the time, only the rear is switched power.
:)

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, here's the deal guys,............. both my left and right side outlets are hot all the time, the rear outlet is switched off only when the key is in the extreme left (anticlockwise) position with steering locked. In all other key positions the rear outlet is hot. I would say our Oz specced bikes have some southern hemisphere oddities, I know I have no cannister, so my bike is a triple hot outletted decanisterised model. It also travels on the left side of the road and tends to slighly wear the tyres biased towards the right side. ;)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Dennis, I was going to suggest what you discovered about the key switch, glad you found it. Just curious, do you all ride on the wrong side of the road in TAZ? :rotf: That may be your difference :confused:

·
Registered
290 Posts
My 2005 K1200LT only has a front left and a rear left outlet, but no front right outlet. Others have both a front right and a front left? Anyone have any idea why mine would be different?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Knife said:
My 2005 K1200LT only has a front left and a rear left outlet, but no front right outlet. Others have both a front right and a front left? Anyone have any idea why mine would be different?
Same on my 2009 Euro spec. Front always live, back one life until key turned far to the left.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Knife said:
The earlier US models had outlets on both sides, by 05 they dropped the right side one might have dropped it sooner but the 05's and on for sure. However the wiring under the tupperware is still there, so if you want/need an outlet on that side you can add one. Actually that is one of the items I am planning for this year.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts
On the 05 schematic (factory) the lower one is fed by F1 and the top case port is fed by F4. Both are hot all the time.

FWIW I looked at the 99-2000 and the 2001-2004 and they are both on red circuits(hot all the time).

·
Registered
423 Posts
Interesting. My 05 has all three outlets. Maybe the lower right was included with some optional package?
johnbaker15 said:
The earlier US models had outlets on both sides, by 05 they dropped the right side one might have dropped it sooner but the 05's and on for sure. However the wiring under the tupperware is still there, so if you want/need an outlet on that side you can add one. Actually that is one of the items I am planning for this year.

·
Registered
290 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
Thanks for that info. Maybe I'll use that right side wiring to run a mini-USB and/or an iPhone jack inside the oddments box. Anyone ever do this?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't realise this would become such a "hot" topic. My '05 is the LTE, maybe the 3 outlets are part of that options package. And Bill, yes mate, we all ride on the wrong side of the road over here, it helps us avoid the kangaroos. Cheers, Dennis

1 - 20 of 24 Posts