BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening Chaps,

Has anyone tried the Mercury Earplugs?(UK) Looking at them as a possibility but would like to get some reviews on their DEC or Speaker (Built Ins) version.

Cheers,
Kyle

·
Registered
92 Posts
Kyle:

Spend your money on a great touring screen instead...with a good flip-up helmet, you won't need earplugs. I use an Aeroflow tall with a sargent seat and bar-baks. My helmet is a Shuberth C3 with new C3 headband installed...it's an improved version and doesn't tatoo my forehead like the original did. I use helmet speakers and a Cardo blutooth unit....all good!

·
Old Dawg
3,287 Posts
I love my PlugUp earphones that I ride with my Cardo. No experience with the ones you mention but I have ridden with custom earphones for almost 20 years and find them invaluable to my riding experience.

PlugUp Website: CUSTOM EARPLUG SPEAKERS<p>

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kyle:

Spend your money on a great touring screen instead...with a good flip-up helmet, you won't need earplugs. I use an Aeroflow tall with a sargent seat and bar-baks. My helmet is a Shuberth C3 with new C3 headband installed...it's an improved version and doesn't tatoo my forehead like the original did. I use helmet speakers and a Cardo blutooth unit....all good!
No earplugs is simply not an option, I rode for years without them and due to other issues as well, my hearing is now not its best.

I have been using simple silicone earplugs with interchangeable filters to allow me to use them at work as well (I'm a welder/fabricator).

Riding without plugs for any length of time now is seriously bad for me, the ringing and pain is unreal.

I am now looking at custom fit gurds, they have speakers built in with removable cables as well as interchangeable filters for work, at £211 it's a small price to pay to save what is left of my hearing.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
No earplugs is simply not an option, I rode for years without them and due to other issues as well, my hearing is now not its best.

I have been using simple silicone earplugs with interchangeable filters to allow me to use them at work as well (I'm a welder/fabricator).

Riding without plugs for any length of time now is seriously bad for me, the ringing and pain is unreal.

I am now looking at custom fit gurds, they have speakers built in with removable cables as well as interchangeable filters for work, at £211 it's a small price to pay to save what is left of my hearing.
Same here...won't ride without ear plugs. What people fail to understand is it's the high frequency sounds (that you can't actually hear) when riding that are injuring your hearing.

I've been very pleased with my Big Ear in-ear monitors that I had made at the Lebanon MOA rally. The fit is great and the sound is awesome. With those in my ears, I'm able to run the radio volume at one bar and hear it easily.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same here...won't ride without ear plugs. What people fail to understand is it's the high frequency sounds (that you can't actually hear) when riding that are injuring your hearing.

I've been very pleased with my Big Ear in-ear monitors that I had made at the Lebanon MOA rally. The fit is great and the sound is awesome. With those in my ears, I'm able to run the radio volume at one bar and hear it easily.
I agree, I have unfortunately learned that the hard way so I am now trying to protect myself as much as possible.

I won't ride my bike or go to my work without earplugs of any kind, the pain and ringing that comes from my ears if I don't is ridiculous, the ringing I suffer from already is pretty bad tbh.

Custom fit are definitely the way forward, especially with a removable cable for the speakers that are also plugged in with a 3.5mm jack, so I can plug them directly into my packtalk bold (when I get it) and avoid having speakers 'blast at me' to get through the plugs.

Are you using silicone or acrylic?

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Silicone or acrylic...I have both. The custom silicone ones don't have the monitors built in and I wear those on my dirt bike (I also use them for lap swimming). The in-ear monitors are acrylic, but the fit is so good that they are all day comfortable.

Big Ear does recommend working up to all day wearing on acrylic ear plugs (i.e. an hour first day, then keep working up over time), but I've not had to do that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Silicone or acrylic...I have both. The custom silicone ones don't have the monitors built in and I wear those on my dirt bike (I also use them for lap swimming). The in-ear monitors are acrylic, but the fit is so good that they are all day comfortable.

Big Ear does recommend working up to all day wearing on acrylic ear plugs (i.e. an hour first day, then keep working up over time), but I've not had to do that.
Which would you say is more comfortable for a days ride, silicone or acrylic?

In honesty I am surprised to hear the acrylic are so comfortable.

·
Old Dawg
3,287 Posts
I tried acrylic and hated them, the silicon was much more comfortable for me, I do understand that everyone is different.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Which would you say is more comfortable for a days ride, silicone or acrylic?

In honesty I am surprised to hear the acrylic are so comfortable.
Silicone are definitely more comfortable out of the package, although they can even become a bit uncomfortable after wearing them all day the first few times. As I mentioned, your ears usually have to work up over time to comfort with the acrylic ones. Once you work up to wearing the acrylic, they are also very comfortable.

I carry both along with some "foamies" when I'm on extended trips. For me, it helps to trade off occasionally between the three types, especially if I have some really long days in the saddle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts