BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The attached photos show what I found this evening as I was doing some spring cleaning on the LT. It's a Powerlet SAE>cigar lighter & BMW plug, with the BMW end melted into a mass of plastic. I tested it and it still works, but it sure looks unsafe...

The whole cable has been inside an RKA electrified tank bag, in the partitioned cable section common to their In-Charge products. The BMW plug is used frequently, including last week; the cigar lighter end has been used many times to charge a cell phone.

The questions: What caused this? Could it be the relatively enclosed confines of the tank bag, or was this just a fluke?

I plan on replacing it; I'll be contacting Powerlet and RKA tomorrow to see what they want to do about it, if anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Clearly heat caused the damage, so the question is, what caused the heat?
First, is the circuit protected by fuse?
Next, what adapter did you put into this socket? I ask, as a poor fit/connection could result in severe arcing, which generates heat. Enough heat to melt the plug? I really don't know.

·
Registered
929 Posts
It does look like heat...but could it be two different types of plastic reacting to one another. I know that if one isn't careful with fishing gear the plastics can chemically combine as in rubber worms contacting plastic hook box. But it does look like heat though....

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Like Frank said already, the heat is most commonly caused by arcing which could either be due to a loose connection, or corrosion. Of course if it is fused you would expect the fuse to go first. Unless it was too high of an amperage fuse. If the loose/corroded connection was not the receptacle itself, it may have been whatever was connected to it was not tight enough, or corroded.

Replace it, but inspect anything you are plugging into it as well for proper fit, and double check your fuse.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts