BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From reading many of the threads here, it sounds as if most of you do your own work on your scooters. I am one of those that don't see why I should pay for fixing it twice, once for me to **** it up and once for some one else to repair it.....so with that said do you take your bike to a BMW dealer to have repaired or to a local mechanic.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I do maintenance stuff myself. Once it becomes inner workings, I call my buddy, Dave. You can find him on the forum as Saddleman. He is north of Charlotte and does EXCELLENT work. Dependable, knowledgeable, and works on other's bikes as if they were his own. I have no question as to who to call when I need help.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
FrankNitti said:
From reading many of the threads here, it sounds as if most of you do your own work on your scooters. I am one of those that don't see why I should pay for fixing it twice, once for me to **** it up and once for some one else to repair it.....so with that said do you take your bike to a BMW dealer to have repaired or to a local mechanic.

With the help of this forum, it is very hard (not impossible) to screw things up. Start with simple maintenance and work your way up to major repairs. We are here for you. BTW pay attention to the threads where the dealer screwed things up and the owner had to fix the original problem and what they screwed up.

Robert

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
For small stuff, most will do it ourselves. For bigger things, we either get together and have a tech session, or try enlist help from other members, who have been there, done that. Getting together with friends, working on the bike, is a great way to spend a Saturday, unless you are riding that is. We go to the dealer to buy some parts if they are not available on line quickly, and it helps build a relationship with them and keeps them in business.
If you need help, ask...... someone will answer the call.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have always been mechanically incline...40 years in commercial HVAC, but just never in cars or bikes.

Reactions: radar41

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
FrankNitti said:
Have always been mechanically incline...40 years in commercial HVAC, but just never in cars or bikes.

I am the senior HVAC tech for a 2 year college in Texas. The LT is easy compared to working on chillers and pumps. Most of my job now is in computer control along with mechanics, plumbing, carpentry, sheet metal, electrical, refrigeration and repairing every other damn thing that breaks around here. Not no mention dealing with bureaucrats and a purchasing department. (Do I sound bitter?)

You can do it! Robert

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
who knows maybe i'll venture into the bike maintenance one day....just realized that I forgot to say there is no BMW bike shop in Columbia, closest one is about 90 miles away.

·
Premium Member
7,837 Posts
FrankNitti said:
who knows maybe i'll venture into the bike maintenance one day....just realized that I forgot to say there is no BMW bike shop in Columbia, closest one is about 90 miles away.
The hardest part of working on the LT ... is getting to the parts that need the work! I approached my first tupper ware party with some amount of trepidation. I went really slow and followed the Clymer manual and all went well. I know approach it with annoyance rather than trepidation! I just want to get the plastic off so I can get on with the job!

The LT isn't really any harder to work on that most bikes once you get the plastic out of the way. I started up by installing a CB radio and that required removing most of the plastic. I just this year did my first 24K maintenance and it went well. Probably the valve adjustment was the trickiest, but even that wasn't too bad if you take your time and follow the manuals.

The brake flush was time consuming, but not terribly difficult. I think you will find that once you get your feet wet, the LT isn't a big mystery. There really is a motorcycle under all of that plastic!! I have pictures to prove it! :)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
FrankNitti said:
90 miles is about right. Pushes you to save your money (time) and do your own work. Get a lift. It will make the work painless and a lot easier.

Loren

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Closest (fairly) reliable dealer is 250 from here.

I started out afraid to take off the tupperware.

Earlier this summer I replaced the clutch myself, with support and encouragement from the members of this community.

Go figure!

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well most of you sound like me, a little nervous.....good to know that the community is here for help.....

think i have found a local mechanic that can handle major jobs, IF they come up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Do it yourself. Its a much better experience. The results are unrelated to how rich you are or how much you love your bike. Either way, the bonding experience always helps. I have become a much better rider because I do my own service.

Another issue - I got my cadillac serviced by dealer three times this year with engine issues, but I still dont know if my problems are over, were they individual seperate issues or my engine is just not good. I got this car in February and I wish I was able to service my cars to know their status. Taking it to a dealer, we just never know how the vehicle is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.