BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Approaching 100,000 miles on my 05 lt and still love it. Have to share my experience of late. The old head-shake has become intolerable over the last few years so I decided to spend a little cash and upgrade shocks, paralever bearings etc. Immediately became better, but not satisfactory. Past postings have indicated tire balance issues but I have to share my latest observations.

IN June of 2017 my front ME888 de-laminated with several bulges following a cross county ride that included temps of 121' in Arizona. I blamed the heat and Metzler replaced the tire. Two weeks ago I'm riding with my wife at posted speed limit of 75, begin to hear strange noise like a helicopter in the background. Stop at the next gas station and check everything over, looks good. Pull out onto road and we immediately realize something is wrong, pull into station across the street. Three bulges on front tire indicate another de-lamination issue. Thank god we stopped when we did and a friend has a trailer nearby.

Decide to mount Bridgestone BT 020 front and rear. WOW! The bike is a new bike again. I know that there have been failures with other makes as well but I put over 90,000 miles on ME880's without a problem except the head-shake. Now two ME888's in a row! This is too much to be a coincidence. I'm done with Metzlers. Hope the pics upload ok. Best wishes to all and be carefull.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Glad you figured out what was going on before serious trouble. You seem to have found the proper tire. Not every tire is for any bike. The LT has requirements that limit the tires. World economy has moved tire fabrication to locations that are not original. I think the Tourance tires from China are not as good as the original due to a small change in bead diameter. Things change. Good that you found a solution.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
Hi all,

Approaching 100,000 miles on my 05 lt and still love it. Have to share my experience of late. The old head-shake has become intolerable over the last few years so I decided to spend a little cash and upgrade shocks, paralever bearings etc. Immediately became better, but not satisfactory. Past postings have indicated tire balance issues but I have to share my latest observations.

IN June of 2017 my front ME888 de-laminated with several bulges following a cross county ride that included temps of 121' in Arizona. I blamed the heat and Metzler replaced the tire. Two weeks ago I'm riding with my wife at posted speed limit of 75, begin to hear strange noise like a helicopter in the background. Stop at the next gas station and check everything over, looks good. Pull out onto road and we immediately realize something is wrong, pull into station across the street. Three bulges on front tire indicate another de-lamination issue. Thank god we stopped when we did and a friend has a trailer nearby.

Decide to mount Bridgestone BT 020 front and rear. WOW! The bike is a new bike again. I know that there have been failures with other makes as well but I put over 90,000 miles on ME880's without a problem except the head-shake. Now two ME888's in a row! This is too much to be a coincidence. I'm done with Metzlers. Hope the pics upload ok. Best wishes to all and be carefull.
I have a claim in right now for a bulged front 888. It looks like your first picture, but mine is a little less severe. I just installed a second 888 to replace it and we shall see how it does. Since I had 9,000 miles on the first one, I doubt I will get anything much from Metzeler. However, it had close to 50% tread left. It was wearing well compared to the front BT020 which barely made 6,000. If only the front Bridgestone wore like the rear.

If this second 888 fails, not sure what I will try. At least the front tire has more options available than does the rear.

I will add that both my 888s were made in Brazil. I had one rear 880 fail with a sidewall split. If memory serves, it was made in Mexico. I hope we don't need an ME880 failure thread as we have for final drives.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I think you'll be happy with the Stones. Probably better traction on wet roads.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
I think you'll be happy with the Stones. Probably better traction on wet roads.
The 020 rear is the best tire for the rear, at least for the bias tire restricted later models. The 020 front handles great, but wears out very quickly, about twice as fast as the rear, just opposite of the 880s. I really liked the 880 front and 020 rear combination, but I'm beginning to think the quality of the 888 isn't up to the standard set by the 880.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the front BT020 lasts 6,000 miles I may decide to live with it. Its been a long time since the bike felt this good. Only time will tell. There's always been discussion about maintenance costs but real performance always comes at the $$ side of compromise. A good friend told me "If you can't afford the tires on a Corvette, better not buy one." I've chosen to spend some cash on an older bike. Now's not the time to get cheap with rubber. Appreciate everyone's feedback. This site has saved me enough money over the years to buy several Bridgestone's but not one Metzler.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My bike had worn out Metz on it at purchase. Tried a 'Stone on front and it seemed a little unstable in the rain at highway speeds. Replaced it with Michelin and love it ( 4k on it as of today) . I went with Avon on rear, now at 8k, and both tires have alot of tread left. I'm not so concerned about the mileage/distance I get out of my tires; I want stability and safety at highway speeds, in the twisties and in the rain. My .02 cents after 40 years riding.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
On my 2000 LT I ran mostly the BT 020 tires. Attached are my dates and mileage installs. I averaged between 10k and 12k between tire changes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
On my 2000 LT I ran mostly the BT 020 tires. Attached are my dates and mileage installs. I averaged between 10k and 12k between tire changes.
Front and rear changed at same time? My front and rear tires never wear at the same rate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sumbitch. I just put a 888 on my front. The date code on it was pretty recent. (2517) I guess I better keep a good eye on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
020 tyres are the only one recommended for the K1200lt by BMW. If you have an accident the insurers can invalidate your insurance as you have modified your vehicle from the BMW specs
I spoke to Bridgstone uk last week . They said that the 020 M is the only tyre recommended and legaly suitable for use on the LT as it is specificaly strengthened for use on the bike. It is the only tyre able to cope with the weight of the bike.
A lot of people try radials and have no problems but the 020 is a Biased radial. Some companies will sell you anything just to get your cash.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So you talked to Bridgestone and they say Bridgestone is the only tire that's recommended and legally suitable? That sounds totally reliable.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Front and rear changed at same time? My front and rear tires never wear at the same rate.
From what I remember with the LT, the rear tires center was pretty worn, so I just changed them both at the same time. I had one rear tire that was showing good and the next time I looked at it the cords were showing.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
Sumbitch. I just put a 888 on my front. The date code on it was pretty recent. (2517) I guess I better keep a good eye on it.

Made in Brazil?

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
020 tyres are the only one recommended for the K1200lt by BMW. If you have an accident the insurers can invalidate your insurance as you have modified your vehicle from the BMW specs
I spoke to Bridgstone uk last week . They said that the 020 M is the only tyre recommended and legaly suitable for use on the LT as it is specificaly strengthened for use on the bike. It is the only tyre able to cope with the weight of the bike.
A lot of people try radials and have no problems but the 020 is a Biased radial. Some companies will sell you anything just to get your cash.
That is simply not correct. My 07 came from the factory with ME880 tires. They are also properly rated for the LT, at least the 05-09 model years. There is no such thing as a biased radial. The correct BT020 tire for the LT is a bias ply tire (as noted in the fitment guide) and that is what Bridgestone makes for the LT ... as does Metzeler.

Attachments

Reactions: saddleman

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,

What tire pressures were you running on the ME888s?

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
I'm not sure where it was made. I'll have to check when I'm back near it. Does it just say Brazil on it or is there a code somewhere?
Written right on the sidewall.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For the last five years I've been running 48lbs rear and 39lbs in the front. Prior to this period I ran the BMW recommended 42/36 with 47 in the rear when riding double or in extreme conditions. The 10 percent increase made a noticeable difference in the cupping on the front. As a FYI, both tire failures featured a product of Brazil.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts