BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just mounted my first ME888 tire for a customer. The ME880 rear tire I replaced had a width of 6.600" the ME888 had a width of 6.350". The ME888 with one shim had plenty of clearance. Maybe Metezler has tweaked the mold a little.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nice photo of a chicken strip in it's natural habitat.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I was hoping someone was going to say something about wet grip on the 888. I rode on a damp day last month in the Catskills and the rear 880 slipped on me three times. I sloooowed down a bit after that. :surprise:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I just mounted my first ME888 tire for a customer. The ME880 rear tire I replaced had a width of 6.600" the ME888 had a width of 6.350". The ME888 with one shim had plenty of clearance. Maybe Metezler has tweaked the mold a little.
Dave, years back I found out the hard way that tires grow in width with time. That was back when I was building wheels to use car tires on sidecar rigs. I had set up a wheel and tire so that I had over a quarter inch of clearance. After a month or two I had zero clearance. Just saying to watch out for a change over time, it could happen.

Robert

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip Robert, I'll pass it along to my customer. All of the reviews I read about the ME888 rear tire that were installed when they first came out they rubbed the swing arm right away.

Dave, years back I found out the hard way that tires grow in width with time. That was back when I was building wheels to use car tires on sidecar rigs. I had set up a wheel and tire so that I had over a quarter inch of clearance. After a month or two I had zero clearance. Just saying to watch out for a change over time, it could happen.

Robert

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm running a ME888 rear tire. Only a couple k on it but no rubbing with one spacer. Haven't run in the rain yet...

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I'm running a ME888 rear tire. Only a couple k on it but no rubbing with one spacer. Haven't run in the rain yet...
Hi,
I too have my first ME888 on my LT.(1800 miles already) Doesn't rub so far and twice, once was today on wet pavement and it held much better than the ME880's did in the past. I'm running 48 lbs in it, one up.

·
Registered
794 Posts
OMG!!! Since the 888 front is still not available two weeks into the month.

I switched from being a loyal Metzeler user to Bridgestone. WHAT A Different TIRE!
The ME888 is a POS in comparison.
5K miles on the 888 and the bike felt like the final drive was wobbling under the bike at low speeds.
At high speed it never really felt right or planted at all.

I put a T30 EVO-GT on the front (because I LOVE that tire) and the BT-020 on the rear.
Turned the monster back into the heavy sport-tourer I wanted.
We just finished a couple of hundred miles through the mountains.
I was smiling the entire way. I knew it was better as soon as I left the driveway.

There is no way I can recommend the ME888 to any rider.
Most cruiser riders I deal with use the Commander II anyways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts