BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming back home from a very soggy ride today out of Lexington (Mid-Ohio), twice I was suprised by the slipping front tire. This is not the first time, new or old ME 880 tires have slipped on me. Now I'm twice a cautious when cornering with the ME 880s. Even the back tire broke free on me in Fostoria as I applied power once around the corner (I fishtailed it).

Have you experienced this as well?

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Many say Metzelers don't grip in the rain. I've slipped mine a couple of times but I take it easy on wet pavement. I don't think anything made of rubber will grip wet pavement............but I could be wrong........... :)

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Had issues, switched to BT020s.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Avons will grip in the rain, I feel more confident in gravel with them also. Just not sure how long they will last. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
ME800 Wet Miles

Last 3 years, over 50K+ miles on ME880's (front & rear) w/plenty of rain encounters, have never had one slip. But I qualify that by adding wet + 2 wheels to me equates to lots more caution. Really careful in curves and power-on's is the way I ride in wet.

Just my experience....fwiw.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rode in the worst rain of my life ( last 30 years riding) going to the MOA in WI. The ME 880's held the rode great. I have been running 880's for the last 6 years and never had a problem.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Use a bit more caution in the rain with the Me 880's. I have slipped w/them.

I do believe that they are the longest lasting tire, I've ever used, but because of the dreaded "front end wiggle" I had to go to another mfg for both the front and rear tires. If you don't have that problem.....I'd stay with the 880's............but be careful when in the wet.

Pat

·
Registered
461 Posts
Have never had a problem with the 880s, and have ridden for days in the rain. Only time I have slipped is on tar snakes.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Wet....Rain what is this stuff? Haven't seen it for a long time.. Enjoyed some real thick fog in Carmel last weekend coming down Ca.1

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've ridden about 50k on ME880s and lots in the rain. They will slip on tar snakes and some painted center lines when wet but I think most tires will. I always slow down and ride with smoother use of the brakes and throttle in the rain and have had no problems. It takes lots of throttle, or maybe a heavy trailer, to make one fishtail in the rain.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Never had a problem with the ME880's, and I am a front brake only rider - wet or dry.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Just road over 500 miles on saturday on the 100,000 foot club ride in Colorado. Once, on a very smooth road, at about 65+, I felt a slight slip and kept it slow. The only time I felt that before was when they were brand new and it was wet.

They are not as solid in the rain as the BT020s. But, they have everything else going for them.

Just need to be very cautious in the rain...

·
Registered
809 Posts
I took a trip to Kansas City from Waco in May and experienced quite a bit of rain. I felt confident and in-control at all times riding on the ME 880s. Around town, have also ridden in the rain/on wet streets; no issues or concerns.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just the other day I was coming home from work had rained earlier. I was accelerating from a stop, approached slight uphill grade and I noticed what I thought was clutch slippage. A moment later the rear of the bike started coming out. I've had a few other minor slides.
No one has mentioned this yet, it sounds like the majority of LT'ers bump up their tire pressures. I would imagine this would increase the chances of sliding near the limit?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've been riding with Metzelers for over 20 years. These Me880's are a different animal than the models I have used in the past.
On dry pavement they grip like a tiger, and with wear, they become noisy and
some slippage is apparent in the rain.
I have read other riders have had good things to say about "Avon Storms" , so that might be my next tire aquisition.

Wolf

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Around here they use this stuff to patch cracks in the road. No grit of any kind added to it, so when it rains, the stuff is like wet metal.
I ran up state rd hill (PA 77 out of Meadville) in the rain one day, the whole hill was a mase of this stuff. The bike would only shift an inch or two before hooking up again, but 3 miles of it was hectic even for me.
ABATE has for years been asking them to put some sand in it, falls on deaf ears.
Rock

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
stephaph said:
Coming back home from a very soggy ride today out of Lexington (Mid-Ohio), twice I was suprised by the slipping front tire. This is not the first time, new or old ME 880 tires have slipped on me. Now I'm twice a cautious when cornering with the ME 880s. Even the back tire broke free on me in Fostoria as I applied power once around the corner (I fishtailed it).

Have you experienced this as well?

Pete
Definitely had that problem with them myself. My one and only set of ME880s caused me heart stoppage 4-5 times. Over 8 sets of BT020 radials with no slips. Someone said the for the newer 880s Metzeler may have changed their compounds, but I would not trust them after that first set. They are good tires for the most part, but absolutely do not have the wet grip of the 020s, period. I gladly gave up front tire mileage to get the better wet grip on the rear by changing to the 020s. Funny though, even though the rear 020 had much better wet grip, it actually lasted longer than the rear 880! The front was another matter, could have gotten 14K out of the front 880, the 020s only lasted 8-9K.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts