BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just got back from Oslo, Norway and told me that it's common practice for the police to ride their MC's in snow. Anyone know what tires they use for that? Spikes? Chains? Knobbies?

Here in Atlanta, we just got 5" of white stuff. Just thinkin' ! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
596 Posts
Now you guys know what it looks like.
I used to live in Rome Ga. A bit of frost would shut the schools down .
In Edmonton we got a foot over the weekend, other than lots of accidents we all go to work.
Altho schoolbusses are not running in my county today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
It won't last long Ron, I wouldn't run out and buy spiked tires just yet. :histerica
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
MountianMama said:
Now you guys know what it looks like.
I used to live in Rome Ga. A bit of frost would shut the schools down .
In Edmonton we got a foot over the weekend, other than lots of accidents we all go to work.
Altho schoolbusses are not running in my county today.
Hey Eric, trying to get out to Edmonton in the Spring to see our 2 granddaughters, maybe we can have coffee or dinner together again.

Garry & Esther
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
Ari would probably be the best person for this question.
 

·
Registered
1999 LTC
Joined
·
14,456 Posts
RocketRon said:
My friend just got back from Oslo, Norway and told me that it's common practice for the police to ride their MC's in snow. Anyone know what tires they use for that? Spikes? Chains? Knobbies?

Here in Atlanta, we just got 5" of white stuff. Just thinkin' ! :D
I think Curtis up in Vermont favors chains, as shown in his avatar!! ;)

Check it out --- CharlieVT is his handle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
Boatzo said:
It won't last long Ron, I wouldn't run out and buy spiked tires just yet. :histerica
We got 6" of snow in these parts! Not quite as bad as 1993. But here's the rub. With temperatures in the mid 30's for highs forecast the next week and partly cloudy at best, it may be around for a while. We're just not used to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,423 Posts
Not recommended.
Ask me how I know.
It was an instant dismount, verticle one second, sliding the next..
TWICE! , within 100 feet, and second time I was only pushing the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
I used to love taking my Triumph Trophy out in deep powder snow. Was a lot of fun. I'm older and smarter now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,404 Posts
cfell said:
Charley.. where do you get those chains? any specs? advice about installation?
It's a spoof.
The LT is impossible in the snow. Don't even consider riding in the snow. I have ridden in a few inches of freshly fallen snow on paved roads having been caught close to home in a storm. In these conditions, the LT's tires will find their way through the snow to the pavement so there is some limited grip. You have to slow to a crawl on corners and speed on straights is scary at 15-20mph.

On hardpacked snow the LT is even more impossible. Just crossing my yard (old barnyard which is plowed, hardpacked snow, without sand or salt) is risky business. I move bikes from the barn to the workshop and back during winter to work on 'em. The smaller Airheads are manageable because you can hold them up when the bike fishtails. With the LT the margin for error is really small; very easy to dump it.
Of the two pics, my avatar is a spoof. One day I went out, put on snowshoes, my helmet, parked the bike in front of a snowbank, held a tire chain up like I was mounting it on the bike and had my wife take the pic; it has generated many queries like yours. :)

The other pic is where I am actually using a tire chain. I couldn't get the LT back in the barn because the rear wheel was spinning on the snow so I laid a tire chain on the ground to help the rear wheel get some traction. I use tire chains like someone might use a bucket of sand.

If you've ever used tire chains you'd probably realize putting them on a motorcycle is ridiculous. There are tire studs available for the motocross and off road riders who do snow and ice racing with their dirt bikes. A small light bike with the right tires is managable in some snow conditions and can be fun. Not the LT.
 

·
Registered
1999 LTC
Joined
·
14,456 Posts
CharlieVT said:
If you've ever used tire chains you'd probably realize putting them on a motorcycle is ridiculous. There are tire studs available for the motocross and off road riders who do snow and ice racing with their dirt bikes. A small light bike with the right tires is managable in some snow conditions and can be fun. Not the LT.
And not only ridiculous, butt where you really want traction (rear wheel), there is only a 4-paper-thickness clearance 'tween the tire tread and the swingarm!! Yikes.

That avatar still generates a lot of talk around here, come wintertime - even tho we don't get snow often, Curtis. Thanks for the pic(s). And be safe on the trip 'tween the barn and the workshop!! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
Some time back, Curtis asked about off road tires for the LT. I'm still wondering what he was up to.
Anybody ever figure it out? Or should I check my leg for stretch marks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Got caught in the snow on my LT a couple of years ago during a freak early storm on the Blue Ridge heading down to Maggie Valley. Talk about your white knuckle special. Never again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
rkimmel2 said:
Got caught in the snow on my LT a couple of years ago during a freak early storm on the Blue Ridge heading down to Maggie Valley. Talk about your white knuckle special. Never again!
Not to mention the sphincter as well :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
So true Dick! The TREAD thickness on the only 2 rear tires strong enough to support these clear-road beauties can't be more than about 12 paper thickness. Not much margin for error when you drill the tire and set the studs!

It seems like 'riding in the snow' would be safer and cause less damage if you just pushed it over onto its side and tied a rope to the front wheel so you could drag it like a toboggan. Certainly less damaging than the thrashing it would take when it fell over every 5' when trying to ride it!

We're supposed to get ice or snow here tonight. Hopefully nothing like you folks in the South/Southeast!

I hate having to chain up to get around!

Stay safe my freezing foul weather friends,

Loren

Dick said:
And not only ridiculous, butt where you really want traction (rear wheel), there is only a 4-paper-thickness clearance 'tween the tire tread and the swingarm!! Yikes.

........................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
Howdy Folks.

Ok, here it goes. Back on Saturday, April 26, 2008, I was riding my '02 LT to visit a bunch of BMW riding buddies in Casper Wyoming. Heading up I25 thru Cheyenne, (6,000 msl) I rode into a ground blizzard caused by very high wind blowing dead across the freeway. Rode up over a rise and right onto a stretch of clear, smooth ICE right on the freeway. Absolutely no warning. I was already down around 40 mph so sucking the fabric of the seat right up, I pulled in the clutch and let the throttle down to idle. I figured any touch of the brake would end the day.

I made it a full mile slowing down on the ice when a huge gust, must have been over 40 mph struck the bike dead sideways and shoved the rear end out to the right. I cranked in full right turn on the handle bars and sucked the seat fabric a little further. Of course the gust quit and the rear end of the LT swung back to the left. I slammed full left turn on the handle bars, but to no avail, the rear end swung all the way around so I was facing back the way I came.

Now, I'm facing backwards, reversing on I25 at some slow speed, but way too fast. I figured that winding up under the LT would not be a good idea, so bailed off the right side of the bike just as it fell over. (did I mention I was going down the road backwards?) The bike fell on my Sidi armored boot, breaing the exoskeleton of the boot, but saving my foot and ankel. On the ice, I found real serious scrapes on my full leather coat, ground through 4 layers on my right knee.

I needed the help of 2 guys to get the LT back up on it's wheels. The ice was so slick, you couldn't hold it upright by your self. I finally got to move after 3 attempts where any slippage of the rear tire would dump the bike. I figured to ride a half mile to an off ramp and then consider my options.

The mirrors were broken clean off, tethers sheared, the right side foot peg was gone, the front brake was leaking brake fluid and the right wide tip over bar was no loose. Riding about 12 to 15 mph up the road with the 2 guys following so I wouldn't get run over as traffic was running along at about 35-40. I was afraid to turn my head for fear turning my head would dump the bike again.

Without any notice, a police siren goes off right on my back bumper. Scared me so bad, I literally jump straight up and of course, the bike dropped. Wyoming State Patrol Trooper was less than 15 feet behind. I got a $200 dollar ticket, mandatory $100 dollar tow back into Cheyenne (the tow driver figured out how to tow the LT on a standard tow truck with the weight on the wheels and the sling only holding the bike upright. Guy was beyond good and treated me wonderfully.) I rode the bike all the way back home as the road was DRY south of Cheyenne. Insurance totaled the LT. I went out to California to buy Quick Silver.

I figured I invented doubles motorcycle dancing. Wonder if it will ever be an Olympic sport?

Turned Around Karl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Great recount of a harrowing experience Karl! It would appear that, once again, I'm right! You would not have totaled the bike if you would have just pushed it over, tied a rope to the front wheel and tried to drag it home! Wait a minute! If you would have pushed it over etc. the damage would have been greatly minimized because the road was so slick you wouldn't be able to stand up AND you would have saved a $200 ticket!

Glad you made it through the ordeal OK.

Loren

kmurphy165 said:
Howdy Folks.

Ok, here it goes. Back on Saturday, April 26, 2008, I was riding my '02 LT to visit a bunch of BMW riding buddies in Casper Wyoming. Heading up I25 thru Cheyenne, (6,000 msl) I rode into a ground blizzard caused by very high wind blowing dead across the freeway. Rode up over a rise and right onto a stretch of clear, smooth ICE right on the freeway. Absolutely no warning. I was already down around 40 mph so sucking the fabric of the seat right up, I pulled in the clutch and let the throttle down to idle. I figured any touch of the brake would end the day.

I made it a full mile slowing down on the ice when a huge gust, must have been over 40 mph struck the bike dead sideways and shoved the rear end out to the right. I cranked in full right turn on the handle bars and sucked the seat fabric a little further. Of course the gust quit and the rear end of the LT swung back to the left. I slammed full left turn on the handle bars, but to no avail, the rear end swung all the way around so I was facing back the way I came.

Now, I'm facing backwards, reversing on I25 at some slow speed, but way too fast. I figured that winding up under the LT would not be a good idea, so bailed off the right side of the bike just as it fell over. (did I mention I was going down the road backwards?) The bike fell on my Sidi armored boot, breaing the exoskeleton of the boot, but saving my foot and ankel. On the ice, I found real serious scrapes on my full leather coat, ground through 4 layers on my right knee.

I needed the help of 2 guys to get the LT back up on it's wheels. The ice was so slick, you couldn't hold it upright by your self. I finally got to move after 3 attempts where any slippage of the rear tire would dump the bike. I figured to ride a half mile to an off ramp and then consider my options.

The mirrors were broken clean off, tethers sheared, the right side foot peg was gone, the front brake was leaking brake fluid and the right wide tip over bar was no loose. Riding about 12 to 15 mph up the road with the 2 guys following so I wouldn't get run over as traffic was running along at about 35-40. I was afraid to turn my head for fear turning my head would dump the bike again.

Without any notice, a police siren goes off right on my back bumper. Scared me so bad, I literally jump straight up and of course, the bike dropped. Wyoming State Patrol Trooper was less than 15 feet behind. I got a $200 dollar ticket, mandatory $100 dollar tow back into Cheyenne (the tow driver figured out how to tow the LT on a standard tow truck with the weight on the wheels and the sling only holding the bike upright. Guy was beyond good and treated me wonderfully.) I rode the bike all the way back home as the road was DRY south of Cheyenne. Insurance totaled the LT. I went out to California to buy Quick Silver.

I figured I invented doubles motorcycle dancing. Wonder if it will ever be an Olympic sport?

Turned Around Karl
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top