BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the state you live in have something like we have here in Michigan. It is called the MCCA
fund. It stands for Michigan Catastrophic Claim Association. There is a addition to everyone's insurance for every vehicle you have. This year the amount is 179 dollars which goes on your insurance premium. I guess this is to cover expenses above what your insurance will cover. Once again they have us where they want us. I don't like it but what can you do.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
MartyBlok said:
Does the state you live in have something like we have here in Michigan. It is called the MCCA
fund. It stands for Michigan Catastrophic Claim Association. There is a addition to everyone's insurance for every vehicle you have. This year the amount is 179 dollars which goes on your insurance premium. I guess this is to cover expenses above what your insurance will cover. Once again they have us where they want us. I don't like it but what can you do.
in SC, we pay what's call uninsured and under insured fees...which maybe the same?

99 F-150 and those fees are about $125
03 BMW K1200 fees are over $200

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
In California it's called uninsured/under insured motorist coverage. Not mandatory but with a large population with no insurance and a lot more with 10k or less in coverage, it's crazy not to have it. Costs can be about 30%+ of your total insurance costs.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
No other state has anything like it. But it's due to our particular brand of No-Fault auto in
surance. It's a horrible cost to incur. $175 a year per vehicle (until June 30, 2013), not licensed operator. If you suffer an injury caused by an accident that vegetizes you for the rest of your life it covers the cost of care until you die. The fee only goes up and is administered by a private committee with no avenue for public input. I don't even think our elected reps can influence the process. And from what I understand, if a motorcyclist is injured in a single vehicle accident the rider is not elegible for the coverage. The same does not apply to automobile operators. Only if involved in a multi-vehice accident. But do we riders get a break in the cost? Oh, Hell no!
Read more about it here: http://michigancatastrophic.com/

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Just talked with my agent....the uninsured fee is mandatory, the under insured is not.

But as someone said, on a scooter you better have your *** covered because the other guy won't.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Matt, in Washington State you not only do not need underinsured/ uninsured coverage, or a $175 fee as you discuss, you are not even required to have liability insurance on a motorcycle.

Not even a state mandated minimum amount.

I live across the river from Portland, OR where insurance is required. The young squidders cross the river to the WA side to race their bikes on our roads. Saves them a $1000 + ticket for not having liability insurance should they be caught in OR.

Prudence, of course, means we carry coverage with WAY more than the minimum requirements for cars.

Loren

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
The MCCA (Michigan Catastrophic Claim Association) can be a PIA. With 3 motorcycles, a motorhome, a car, & a truck... it adds up. I get to pay into the MCCA 6 times every year. But, if anybody that ends up on the wrong end of a catastrophe it cames in handy. The problem is motorcycles are not covered in it, unless a car is involved. The MCCA saves the insurance companies money, but the insurance co. isn't going to lose money,...We are going to pay for it anyway. The state is the one that gets to save by not having to pay the bill for the people that don't have any or not enough insurance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts