BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did it...

After working on her using my fairly new HF lift for a while I went riding today and all was great.

Since I have the lift I figure I put her on the lift and give her a good clean-up after I got back home.

I ride her on the lift, get a good a firm stance since I have put 8 inch concrete blocks on both side. Put my side stand down and all is well so far. Next I got off and started putting her on the centerstand. Somehow I lost my balance and she went over to the right.

Moral of the story: Put a ratchet strap loosely on the left side to keep her from going over while putting her on the centerstand.

Damages: My ego, and a clutch handle. $64.95 for a new one from Beemer Boneyard. Not bad...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,086 Posts
Wolfgang said:
I did it...

After working on her using my fairly new HF lift for a while I went riding today and all was great.

Since I have the lift I figure I put her on the lift and give her a good clean-up after I got back home.

I ride her on the lift, get a good a firm stance since I have put 8 inch concrete blocks on both side. Put my side stand down and all is well so far. Next I got off and started putting her on the centerstand. Somehow I lost my balance and she went over to the right.

Moral of the story: Put a ratchet strap loosely on the left side to keep her from going over while putting her on the centerstand.

Damages: My ego, and a clutch handle. $64.95 for a new one from Beemer Boneyard. Not bad...
Bummer. If it fell to the right, how did the clutch lever break? Sounds like you already ordered a new one. If not, I may have one in the garage.

dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Glad it wasn't any worse Wolfgang. I put my LT on my new lift for the first time today and I must say, it was a brown stain experience. :(

Where do you attach the straps? I put them on the handle bars but didn't like them pressing against the tupperware.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DanMartin said:
Bummer. If it fell to the right, how did the clutch lever break? Sounds like you already ordered a new one. If not, I may have one in the garage.

dan
Brain Fade!!!! Need brake lever.. Got one???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boatzo said:
Where do you attach the straps? I put them on the handle bars but didn't like them pressing against the tupperware.
NEVER attach the straps to the handle bar, it will bend. Use the fork tube at the top near the brake line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
I added a $29.00 HF wheel chock that captures the front tire. I get off and put straps on the foot pegs, jack the rear wheel an inch up and wash. Too little room for error on the lift for putting it on the center stand.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,330 Posts
RockyRaccon said:
I added a $29.00 HF wheel chock that captures the front tire. I get off and put straps on the foot pegs, jack the rear wheel an inch up and wash. Too little room for error on the lift for putting it on the center stand.

John
Regardless of lift brand, I wouldn't think about using it without a wheel chock. If work on front end makes the chock a problem I would find a helper. The strap is a good idea but without a helper to strap you down while you hold the balance there will be a few risky moments while you're getting things secured. I would also suggest the use of something like 3M's slip resistant tape on the lift surface.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
Lately, when I'm in the mood and want to really give the bike a good wash, I'll put her on the center stand and then slide my SUV scissor jack underneath and raise the entire bike several inches off the ground. She seems to be stable and makes it real easy to do a good job on the wheels. I would not though do any maintenance with her up this way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mjordans2000 said:
Regardless of lift brand, I wouldn't think about using it without a wheel chock. If work on front end makes the chock a problem I would find a helper. The strap is a good idea but without a helper to strap you down while you hold the balance there will be a few risky moments while you're getting things secured. I would also suggest the use of something like 3M's slip resistant tape on the lift surface.
Riding on to the lift and putting her on the side stand is really not a problem nor does it seem unsafe. I did that on my trailer for years prior to mounting a Baxley chock on it. I do have a HF wheel chock mounted on the lift, but it makes a lot of jobs hard to do since you can not move the handle bar and the front wheel is fixed. For some jobs it does work great. The nice thing is that the clamp can be removed in seconds. Adding non-slip tape in some place is a great idea.

Putting her on the centerstand with straps in place to prevent mishaps seems like a good and safe way to do it. My mistake was to break my own "Safety First" rule.

In future it is back to my previous routine:
  • Ride on to the lift
  • Extend the side stand and get off
  • Attach straps on the left front and rear just like I would do trailering
  • Leave enough slack to put her on the center stand
  • After she is on the center stand secure her with four strap, just like on the trailer
For some quick jobs I will re-insert the Chocke and use it in conjunction with rear straps. Once I am all set again I will take some pictures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,571 Posts
I dropped the once backing OFF the lift. This was when my rear main seal blew. Getting oil everywhere, so my wife suggests, "why not put this old rug under the bike, and keep the lift from getting all oily. It'll sop it all up!".

What a great idea... Bike was up there for a few days, while parts were ordered, prior to starting the tear down.

Working well - wife has some great ideas. Except when I backed the bike off (without removing the rug first), so I could move the lift to a better working area. Control rearward speed with front brake while backing down the ramp... front tire hits rug... rug slides, and slides fast... loss of rearward speed control.. roll down ramp too fast...

You get the picture! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
I lost mine while trying to take it off of the center stand. Fell off lift into work bench. :histerica Spent nearly $800.00 for the windshield lift mechanism. Still need to replace the windshield. And all other damage will not be repaired. Nedless to say I built some plywood boxes that I can put along side of the lift. Sill makes me nervous. Makes maintenance allot easier though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
awmasparky said:
I lost mine while trying to take it off of the center stand. Fell off lift into work bench. :histerica .
Sorry to hear this. My damage is limited to a brake handle that one of our members is selling to me dirt cheap. :) I think both of our experiences illustrates why there should be straps attached while getting the bike on and off the centerstand.

PS: I have a used, but decent standard OEM windshield. I'll sell it to you very cheap, make an offer and I am likely to accept it. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
398 Posts
DanDiver said:
Lately, when I'm in the mood and want to really give the bike a good wash, I'll put her on the center stand and then slide my SUV scissor jack underneath and raise the entire bike several inches off the ground. She seems to be stable and makes it real easy to do a good job on the wheels. I would not though do any maintenance with her up this way.
What do you lift on Dan? There is no sub frame down there, just engine :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
I put mine on the centerstand every time. I just rock it (a little) to make sure both points are down, then up she goes. Weight is distributed much more evenly for when the lift is up. I installed two 3/8 eye bolts on each side near the end for straps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Razmataz said:
I put mine on the centerstand every time. I just rock it (a little) to make sure both points are down, then up she goes. Weight is distributed much more evenly for when the lift is up. I installed two 3/8 eye bolts on each side near the end for straps.
First of all, I am new to a LIFT. My knees just couldn't hack it anymore so I made the plunge and bought the lift. My first experience putting the LT on the lift was a harrowing experience. Everything went well, it was just me and my worrying :( . I had my wife crank the front wheel vice when I got in position and the LT stood up fine and then I very cautiously dismounted, scared SH#%LESS through the whole process. Surprisingly enough, backing off the lift went very smooth.

I looked at a lot of things whilst the bike was on the lift. I see that it can go on the SIDE stand but there isn't a lot of room for the foot. My LT has new Ohlin shocks and leans considerably on the side stand which is scary. Could it tip over?

I looked at using the center stand although I didn't put the bike on it. Looks like that is a good way to go for working on the bike on the lift.(I have the manual C stand) I am assuming that putting the bike up on the C stand will move it back out of the front wheel vise which will allow working on/ removal of the front wheel? Now for coming back down off the C stand :eek: , Here again, I assume that the LT will move forward into the front wheel vice (I HOPE). But I sure could use something to keep the bike stable.

Now, where do I attach straps to stabilize the LT whilst getting on and off the C Stand? :confused: I have 2 EYES at the front of the lift and am planning to put two more aft, but not sure where? All suggestions are welcomed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,095 Posts
When I knew I had to git a lift I also knew I had to park on it every night. That is why I bought one with side extensions. While it cost more in the long run one mishap and you paid for them. 48" is a WHOLE lot bigger then 24" looking down at the ground only 6 -8" away. I know I do not have the heart to park on 24" every night.

You have to be careful going up and down on 24" and I would use a chock on mine if I had to use no side plates. Up and into it and done. I had a condor chock on mine but removed it as it was not needed. Of course I had a ECS so all I had to do is drive up and push the button.

The FJR is a whole other story and no way I could have gotten it on the CS without side extensions.

I guess you can tell I am sold on those extra 24"?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top