BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I cleaned up the shift linkage because of a problem shifting. When I took it for a ride after it seemed to shift good at first then after the bike warmed up started having the same problem again, but I did notice a couple of new symptoms.

When the bike doesn't want to shift sometimes I notice that the RPM's may not have dropped all the way down. If I let go of the clutch and reengage it may or may not engage all of the way so I can shift. Most of the time no more than 3 pulls and it will engage all of the way and allow me to shift. Even if it does allow me to shift it's more clunky than it was before. It seems to happen after the bike warms up.

I've only had the bike about 2 months. I did change all of the oils when I bought it. Full synthetic. Royal Purple 75-90 in the final drive and the transmission. I wouldn't think that would be the problem??? My best guess is the slave cylinder but I'm not much of a trouble shooter.

·
Registered
998 Posts
check fluid level in master cylinder (hand lever) - if low leak somewhere possible - assuming you mean "pumping" hand lever will result in clutch releasing
master cylinder can partially seize and not fully returning to rest (all the way out) - needs to be rebuilt in that case

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the fluid yesterday and it was full. When I opened it I had it on the center stand and bit of fluid came out.

·
Registered
998 Posts
bars have to be all the way right to check

put bike on center stand - pump (if necessary) lever to disengage clutch - have someone rotate wheel - if freewheels OK in gear - hold lever in wait and see if clutch starts to engage as wheel rotated - if it does piston leak by - slave leak by or fluid leaking out - or leak somewhere tubing

piston can partially seize also not coming all the way back out - you would have to take lever off and see

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
If your piston is bad, I believe I have an entire left hand assembly I can send you so you are not without whilst you get yours fixed. You can either put yours back on after you repair it, or send me the repaired unit so I have it on the shelf for the next person in need.

No cost, I just ask you pay postage both ways. Easiest way is to go to USPS.com, generate a Priority Mail label with postage, save the label as a PDF and email it to me. Easy peasy.

I do recommend that you confirm that it is the piston or other component on the handlebar so that you do not waste time removing/installing something that is not bad. :))

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Are you having problems with the upshift or downshift or both ?

If it's the downshift, Try this.. Get it to stick, Then blip the throttle. If it comes unstuck, You might need a clutch spline lube...

The most prevalant symptom for this is sticking when downshifting and blipping the throttle breaks it lose...That's where it starts...My RT is doing that occasionally so it'll get a spline lube this winter..

But If you're having to pump up the clutch in order to get it to release then that's usually the master cylinder...If you're losing fluid, Then slave cylinder quick before it wrecks the clutch..

Usually by the time you realize you're losing fluid, The clutch is slipping...

Good luck...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's happening on both the up and downshift. Probably a little more on the downshift but if I have the RPM's up high it won't shift up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
jkhcurry said:
It's happening on both the up and downshift. Probably a little more on the downshift but if I have the RPM's up high it won't shift up.
Will the bike sit still idling in gear with the clutch lever pulled in?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I tried the easiest thing first and changed the clutch fluid and it seemed to fix the problem, fluid that first came out was pretty dark. Took it out on a ride and it shifted right...now just curious what might have caused the problem. I'm sure there must have been air in the system, but don't know what might have caused it to happen suddenly.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
There might have been some water in the fluid?

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
876 Posts
I had a similar problem immediately following my first attempt at flushing the clutch fluid. The clutch felt spongy at the lever. Air in the system was the problem. I had tried to bleed out the fluid by opening the master cylinder cover and allowing it to gravity feed while holding in the ball at the end of the bleeder hose, but some air must have gotten back up in there. Re-bled under pressure by holding in the clutch lever and pressing in the ball and all was good. No problems since. Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts