BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to you All!
Busy with...life...and all of its challenges... now more free time to pick up on my preferred choices of interest. So, thought I'd share a recent experience that may reduce the number of head aches with leaking rear oil seals that leaks into the clutch area and all that it brings. Not sure if this has been mentioned here before, searched through the forum but couldn't find so posting if it can help anyone.

Had an oil leakage in a steering ger on one of my cars, leaked massively out onto the ground after filling up the rubber protection on the steering rod end controlling the left front wheel. Only normally chosen alternative, after looking around the net, was to replace the whole unit having to lower the whole engine support frame and more... Looked around and read up on "wonder cures" and found that there are some oil additives that are said to re-vitalize/soften older hardened oil seals and regain sealing properties... somewhat sceptical I'd thought I look for what at least seemed to be the "best" one and found one product named "Omega 917" that seems to enjoy quite some recognition. No affiliation with these guys BTW, just a user now and onwards... :)

Emptied as much (70 cl out of a total of 100 cl, 1 litre) and replaced with new fresh oil and poured in this product with a "restore" ratio of 3%, 3 cl/1 litre, and then drove the car for around 400 km's, appr. 240 miles, for it to activate through heat and do a number of "cycles" in the system... and the previous significant leak was cured, holds oil like new now and obviously did what it promised.

So, now poured it preventively into my engine oil when doing an oil change anyways a couple of days back but then at a "conditioning" ratio of 1%, resulting in 3,5 cl in the engine oil, poured some into the gearbox and final drive as well for "conditioning" purposes and if it helps avoiding a future oil leak here as well I'm a happy biker.

If this can help only one other guy avoiding an engine oil leak and all that it brings, I'm happy if I could contribute...!

Safe riding All from Sweden!

Reactions: SHIfTHEAD

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
That is well and good but the primary oil leak that takes out the LT clutch is not the rear main seal but rather a brittle o-ring on the output shaft that cracks over time and dumps right into the clutch. The main seal leak will sling off the clutch housing and not enter the clutch. Thank for the tip as it may help some one else down the road.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts