BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loaded my LT Sunday with all the tools I had bought in Detroit plus all of my wife's stuff while the bike was on the center stand. When I rolled it off the stand yesterday morning to head home I knew it was a new weight record for me.

I found out at the first fuel stop in Columbus OH that I could not get the side stand out on level ground. I finally found a pump that the pavement was lower on the left side. I was at a truck stop & decided to weigh it. To make a long story short I was told over the speaker on the scale 1442 lbs.

To make matters worse all of the heavy weight was in the top case & in my bag on the top rack. That is the only it would fit. It took three stations on my last fuel stop to find a pump where I could get the side stand out.

I think now I know why I was wearing out my Ohlin's every year to the point that I had to replace everything every rebuild.

Also I only averaged 45 mpg on the way home.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
saddleman said:
I loaded my LT Sunday with all the tools I had bought in Detroit plus all of my wife's stuff while the bike was on the center stand. When I rolled it off the stand yesterday morning to head home I knew it was a new weight record for me.

I found out at the first fuel stop in Columbus OH that I could not get the side stand out on level ground. I finally found a pump that the pavement was lower on the left side. I was at a truck stop & decided to weigh it. To make a long story short I was told over the speaker on the scale 1442 lbs.

To make matters worse all of the heavy weight was in the top case & in my bag on the top rack. That is the only it would fit. It took three stations on my last fuel stop to find a pump where I could get the side stand out.

I think now I know why I was wearing out my Ohlin's every year to the point that I had to replace everything every rebuild.

Also I only averaged 45 mpg on the way home.
Holy poop Batman. That is a large pile! I am sure that the handling was somewhat compromised. Glad you are OK. I thought I had it bad towing my Bunkhouse. You are the master and I bow to you (and will get the hell out of the way).

Robert

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scouter-50 said:
Holy poop Batman. That is a large pile! I am sure that the handling was somewhat compromised. Glad you are OK. I thought I had it bad towing my Bunkhouse. You are the master and I bow to you (and will get the hell out of the way).

Robert
Believe it or not Robert the handling is still quite good at speed. I did notice at low speeds ( parking lot ) that my handle bars shake real bad when I turn. I think it has a lot to do with the 168,000 miles on the bike. Something is worn out because it does it with no extra weight. It's just real scary when the bike is loaded.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
:corn:

I can see this going several different directions..

Glad you lived...

John

·
Registered
240 Posts
Dave,
You said you had all the tools and your wife's stuff. You didn't mention that you came up with your wife. When I first got my LT a guy on a Wing who used to ride a LT called it a light truck. You were way over a half ton total weight. That there is a truck.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MartyBlok said:
Dave,
You said you had all the tools and your wife's stuff. You didn't mention that you came up with your wife. When I first got my LT a guy on a Wing who used to ride a LT called it a light truck. You were way over a half ton total weight. That there is a truck.
My wife flew there & home I just brought her stuff with me to save $25 on a baggage fee.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JPSpen said:
:corn:

I can see this going several different directions..

Glad you lived...

John
I've had almost this much weight many times before. This was the first time with stock shocks & the load just lowered the bike a little to much.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gerhard said:
I can't imagine doing something like that, $25 baggage fee seems like a cheap way to make this into a safer more enjoyable trip.

Gerhard
Nothing unsafe or unenjoyable at all. I only exceeded the max weight by 119 lbs. I like my rides to be challenging. It was a $25 fee each way a $50 savings. I also saved about $65 in shipping charges for the tools. That almost payed for my gas for the whole trip.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good to know... I've been trying to keep the women I date in to an under 200lb limit, you've just opened up a whole new set of standards for me!
Glad you made it home safe, I have filled a tank while sitting on the bike before.

:bmw:

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hd_ryder1964 said:
Good to know... I've been trying to keep the women I date in to an under 200lb limit, you've just opened up a whole new set of standards for me!
Glad you made it home safe, I have filled a tank while sitting on the bike before.

:bmw:
The bike was too top heavy for me to fill it while I was sitting on it. I didn't want to lean over to reach the pump. The top rack had about 80 lbs & the top case was about 120 lbs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
All I got to say is Holy Crap :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts