BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see many members showing a colored map of all or some states and Canadian provinces. Just curious, if you have a map, do you show the state you've visited on a motorcycle, an LT or just visited by other means such as car, airplane, boat, RV, etc?
Eddie

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
EddieLo said:
I see many members showing a colored map of all or some states and Canadian provinces. Just curious, if you have a map, do you show the state you've visited on a motorcycle, an LT or just visited by other means such as car, airplane, boat, RV, etc?
Eddie
Eddie, I don't speak for anyone else. I just used motorcycle miles. All of my states are on BMW's but not exclusively on any one bike. I started touring out of state back in 1969 or 1970. Do your own thing.

Robert

·
Registered
560 Posts
Motorcycle miles for my map. But I agree with Robert, "Do your own thing." I do have an additional question that relates to yours, "How many miles should one ride in a state or province before he can fill it in on his or her map?" I realize this is an unwritten policy but it does have the potential for an interesting discussion. The same applies to EddieLo's question.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
All motorcycle miles for me!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scouter-50 said:
Eddie, I don't speak for anyone else. I just used motorcycle miles. All of my states are on BMW's but not exclusively on any one bike. I started touring out of state back in 1969 or 1970. Do your own thing.

Robert
Well Robert, it seems that the consensus is that they are states ridden in a m/c, mostly BMWs. I think I'll go along with that. Curious, you haven't ridden in Florida but you have ridden in it's border states. When my wife would travel by car we used to like going a few miles out of our way to visit a border state even if it was just to drive in and make a u-turn, that way we could say we "visited" that state albeit if only for a few minutes, lol.
So looks like my map will have only two states to begin with, California and Hawaii.
Eddie
uh, just how do I start?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
EddieLo said:
Well Robert, it seems that the consensus is that they are states ridden in a m/c, mostly BMWs. I think I'll go along with that. Curious, you haven't ridden in Florida but you have ridden in it's border states. When my wife would travel by car we used to like going a few miles out of our way to visit a border state even if it was just to drive in and make a u-turn, that way we could say we "visited" that state albeit if only for a few minutes, lol.
So looks like my map will have only two states to begin with, California and Hawaii.
Eddie
uh, just how do I start?
I was within about 20 miles of Florida on my way home from buying the bike and did not realize that I was so close, that and I was boogieing. 1880 miles in 72 hours.

Robert

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
EddieLo said:
uh, just how do I start?
I used Trip Logs to build my map and then saved the image file. From there you can use a photo sharing site or upload it to the gallery. Once its uploaded, edit your signature by including an img code to reference the web location where it was saved.

Example: [ Img]http://www.yourfilelocation.com/yourfile.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
560 Posts
uh said:
EddieLo

I find the Visited States Map program from epgSoft very easy to use. Visited States/Provinces

Create your map and select what size you want to display. Upload your map to a photo sharing site or to the gallery here. (Thanks Gruivis). I like Photobucket, it's free and very straightforward for navigation. Very easy to copy and paste the file location into your signature. You may want to experiment which size map you want to use. Small or medium sizes are okay, but Large is pretty damn big.

I confess that I enjoy looking at everyone's maps, seeing where they've been and wondering what routes they took.

As you said, So looks like my map will have only two states to begin with, California and Hawaii.

Even if it's just two states, it's a start and not many members on this site can claim Hawaii. Kudos!

·
Premium Member
7,818 Posts
Motorcycle miles for me, and because I just started riding a few years ago, they are all states visited on a K1200LT.

Regarding the "criteria" question: If I cross the state line, it counts. :) Some states we visit intensively, some we are just passing through, some we go out of our way a few miles to claim that state.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Motorcycle miles for me. Some are repeats from several decades ago but the map as seen has been done or re-done in its entirety within the last 3 riding seasons by the 3 bikes listed in my signature. 49 states, 12 provinces

Just thought I would add, as a remembrance/souvenir within the last 3 riding seasons I took a pic of all the 49+12 "welcome to" sign pics. Except for Prince Edward Island, had to substitute the sign over the visitor center, their old welcome to sign was removed awaiting a new one. Had the same thing 2 years ago with Saskatchewan but was able to get the new one this year.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My map only shows MC miles.

And one foot into the state gets me a check mark.

In order to get WV in on our quest for the 48 states (which is not fished yet, we mapped a way out of DC that got to within 1/2 a mile of WV, we then went north and saw the county sign, went about 1/2 a mile further and turned around and high tailed it to the interstate and Skyline DR for the 100+ mile scenic route south.

The remaining 48 states I will cover in April or May of next year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts