BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All Ya All,

Have searched both the new and old sites and have not found an answer to the age old question - how do you get to the light bulbs in these two locations? Both of mine are out and I can not seem to find a link as to what bulb to replace them with or how to get at them.

I thought I would ask the forum before I take a screwdriver or knife to the covers and pry them off.

Much thanks!

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
Skozar said:
All Ya All,

Have searched both the new and old sites and have not found an answer to the age old question - how do you get to the light bulbs in these two locations? Both of mine are out and I can not seem to find a link as to what bulb to replace them with or how to get at them.

I thought I would ask the forum before I take a screwdriver or knife to the covers and pry them off.

Much thanks!
Wow - very rare that both, or either for that matter, bulbs would be out. Butt, given that you've gone thru the different switch positions and can't get 'em to light, then do just what you said. Insert a small (jeweler's blade) screwdriver in the leetle notch at one end of the lens and pop it out. Then take the bulb to your local Autozone, or even Wal-Mart possibly, for replacement. You'll see how easy they're mounted once you've pulled the assembly out of the niche. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
Skozar said:
All Ya All,

Much thanks!
They cannot be replaced, you need to buy a new bike!!!:eek:
:D

·
Registered
326 Posts
Trunk Lite

For the trunk lite you have to take a small drill bit and drill about 1/4 inch to the left of the lite; then take a small screwdriver and insert to pry the lite out.

Had to do just that in order to replace mine.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have detailed instructions with photos on how to remove the one in the trunk--you can download them from my Web site (riderwest.com). The instructions are in the manual for the LED Saddlebag/Trunk/Extension Light (look under Products).

·
Registered
579 Posts
Dome light photos

Have searched both the new and old sites and have not found an answer to the age old question - how do you get to the light bulbs in these two locations? Both of mine are out and I can not seem to find a link as to what bulb to replace them with or how to get at them. I thought I would ask the forum before I take a screwdriver or knife to the covers and pry them off. QUOTE said:
I used a small blade screw driver. Look for foreign car part place that sells Bosch products to find a bulb.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
As others have noted a small screw driver usually does the trick. The goal is to press in the locking tab that holds the light in place so it can be removed (yours may come out with a simple prying action, I actually have to press the tab, very tight fit). It can be difficult, I thought mine would break before it came loose. If your dealer has a map light in stock take a look at it. It helps to know what the locking tab looks like so you understand what's fighting your efforts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ms not going for trading the bike for bulbs!

All Ya All,

Thanks for the very valuable info. I shared the opinion with my Ms (Mrs Skozar that is) that I needed a new bike because the bulbs were out! She yelled a lot!!! Thought I would need to replace all the bulbs in the house after that one.

Thanks to the forum responses I was able to get both bulbs out and yes the filiments were gone. They are now replaced and I can again read maps and pick my fingernails at speed in the dark and the Ms can see to adjust various things too. I was also able to see my new black eye.

Thanks again for the guidance (not the black eye of course)

Skozar

1 - 9 of 9 Posts