BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I purchase, I'd appreciate some feedback from those that already have or use tyre changers on this piece of gear (more pics on the Ebay web link) which I can buy in Oz. Its about the cheapest I can find here at just over $300 delivered.
I know it says "suitable to 16.5 wheels" and the LT's are 17" rims, but it looks like I could drill a new pin-hole through the sleeve in the mounting arms and get the extra width I need. I called a supplier and he said "yes, thats possible to do"

Its not unlike the Harbour Freight I read a few of you have (which doesn't seem to be available on their site now?).
The mounting bar that comes with it is not like the Mojolever (that'd be another $100+ to get one shipped here), but if I can make some nylon wheel protectors it might work OK.
I've ordered the Marc Parnes balancer already... just looking now at most cost-effective way to get the tyres off & on (and I've looked through a lot of threads on this and figure I need something a little better than clamps, timber and spoons and broken fingers)

cheers

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
It's difficult to get a size perspective on the size of the changer. It looks kind of compact and the base pretty narrow. I know you can secure it to a concrete floor with anchors, but it still might not do the job too well. The rear tire on the LT, being reinforced is quite difficult to change without a very sturdy work station. A couple years ago, it took 3 of us to get the new rear tire mounted on the rim. The changer allowed the rim to slip as the tools attempted to get the bead onto the rim. I'm not sure of the brand, but there was too much flex in the changer. The only other changer I have seen is a Coats manual changer. Looks like the ones car tire dealers use, less the air or electric power. Seems like the model is RC-50M. Couldn't hazard a guess as to cost. If you're buying the changer to save money installing tires, it's going to be while before you recoup your losses. If you're going to reach out to others and do changes for them, you will wish you had a better changer.

JM2CW. YMMV. Hope this helps.

On edit, here is a link to the changer --> http://www.liftandaircompressor.com/v/vspfiles/assets/pdf/Coats_RC-50M.pdf

I have no interest in Coats or any tire changer supplier. Just relating what I have seen.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm in the same situation your in. I've about decided to build my on or pony up for the no-mar. Check out Wikco industries, they have a changer for $399 with a mojo type bar.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,056 Posts
Hi Chris, don't know the version pictured but from using our No Mar Pro whilst back in Aust. you do need some decent leverage and clamping forces.
The longer arm on the pro was handy for bead breaking ( only difference AFAIK )
and the rim lock system also needs to be solid. The rear tyre even after warming in the sun for 30 mins or so is a beast requiring loads of lube to mount.
The mount / demount system although simple does the job. Again long arm for leverage.
Hope it's stopped raining.
Cheers.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers guys, thanks for the feedback. Still umm'ing & ah'ing about it..... some interesting "home-build" setups on the net... I might even look at building something simple myself.

Hi Hilton... has stopped raining for a day or 2, we have a long weekend (Queens B'day) this weekend, but rain forecast for much of it. Hoping to get out for a ride with a few crew on Sunday if I can hold the flu at bay (this time!).

cheers

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,994 Posts
The tire changer that Lee was referring to is my Coats RC-50M. It is a bit pricey at about $2000+. In my opinion you get what you pay for. The only other tire changer I would recommend would be the No-Mar.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's a couple similar to your Coates available on Ebay here... starting from around $950 and upwards... freight wouldn't be cheap though as they are in another state (SA).
But that is overkill for my needs, I just want to change a couple of my own tyres.. and really don't have space for a big unit.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
You will waste your money! The front tire is the hardest. I would go with the NoMar or a good set of non marring spoons. I have changed many with my NoMar Jr Pro. I would get nothing less then the cycle hill by NoMar at $465 us.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,994 Posts
cws said:
There's a couple similar to your Coates available on Ebay here... starting from around $950 and upwards... freight wouldn't be cheap though as they are in another state (SA).
But that is overkill for my needs, I just want to change a couple of my own tyres.. and really don't have space for a big unit.
Because the table turns on the coats it take up less space than the tire changers that require you to use a bar to change the tire.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a No-Mar tire changer, bought it while on sale for the Christmas Holliday. Still cost me 700 bucks but I can tell you it is well worth it. We pay 50 bucks to have a tire dismounted and remounted here, (if you take the wheel off). To date I have changed truck, car and bike tires with it. It is 100% manual, so no electrical issues if it has to be put outside. I couldn't be happier and it will have paid for itself by the time the first year has gone by.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a No-Mar tire changer, bought it while on sale for the Christmas Holliday. Still cost me 700 bucks but I can tell you it is well worth it. We pay 50 bucks to have a tire dismounted and remounted here, (if you take the wheel off). To date I have changed truck, car and bike tires with it. It is 100% manual, so no electrical issues if it has to be put outside. I couldn't be happier and it will have paid for itself by the time the first year has gone by.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I have the HF unit.. But I don't have an LT anymore... But, The CLC rim is pretty tough as well...

I'm going to have to upgrade the rim holders to make it hold things better...

Just get some good tire spoons to go along with it and you'll probably be ok..

A spoon will get you over that "hump" when things get tough...

John

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been comparing the No-Mar Cycle Hill unit for price... on the website US$465 plus $355 shipping to Oz = US$820! F$%#!!!!! thats about Au$825 todays rate (we're almost parity again)
They've got it on Ebay with "free" :rotf: world-wide shipping for AU$799 :( I suppose that's a bargain.

I'm starting to think there are 3 key factors...
1) need a bead-breaker... that looks easy enough to knock up from timber and other bits and pieces laying around the garage based on web-vids, ie, no cost
2) need a way to keep the wheel stable while removing tyre... looking at the K-LT wheels, I can't see why
a) for front I couldn't remove 2 bolts from the RH side of the brake rotor, and bolt that to a (suitably shaped to not cause damage) timber plate that can then be mounted to a fixed workbench or similar support to give appropriate working clearances, the whole thing now being locked solid
b) for rear similar to above, but obviously different
3) a breaker bar with suitable nylon covered ends to do the dirty work.. eg the Mojolever at US$99 plus shipping.

I've got my Marc Parnes balancer in the mail today... soo... whats wrong with my plan?? What have I missed or not envisaged?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
There seems to be similar tire changers that look identical but with a different manufacturers name. All the specs seem identical and they all look the same. Kind of makes you wonder if they are made in china or some might be Chinese knock offs. Hard to tell from the photos. I looked at on on Ebay from the UK.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-To...5-/290582261562?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

I emailed the seller and asked him if I can use it on my RT with 17 inch rims. His specs are different from the others but the pix all look identical. The specs are
Minimum Wheel Size:102mm
Maximum Wheel Size:524mm (21”) So I wonder what they mean by 16.5 inch rim on the others. Here is his reply on my question.

Hello Bob
This is designed to take up to a 524mm wheel
which converts to a 21.5" rim

Regards
Russ

www.motorsport-tools.com

Pics attached from various sellers on Ebay. very similar.

Look at the pics and see which one is 21 inches and 16.5 inches.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Don't know much about the changer you are looking at...but here we pay $50 to have a tire changed if the wheel is off the bike..WAY TOO MUCH.

So, I bought a No Mar changer, don't even remember the model but it was about $800..I've changed a enough bike tires, car and truck tires in the last year to pay for the dang thing.. I actually wish I'd have gone with the best one they had, Although it works ok on car/truck rims, I've had to modify the bead breaker to stiffen it up. Even with that, It's been a great investment. Using the right tool for the job makes things much simpler than my usual shade tree/make do stuff.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have the HF changer and find it to be equal to the task. It is anchored to the garage floor with lead anchors and lag bolts. In order to keep the rim from rotating in the clamps while leveraging the tire on/off, I cut three, four inch pieces of leather from an old belt and wedge them into the clamps and sandwich them there with the rim. The locking clamp applies enough force to hold everything firmly in place. The bar end also has a piece of leather, glued and zip tied on so as to not scratch the rim while mounting/dismounting.
I lay a piece of carpet down to cushion the rim while using the bead breaker.
There is a learning curve to become efficient at this.
For the money, it's not a bad deal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts