BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this site and am anxious to get some help with 3 items. I need an owner's manual for my 2000 1200klt. My ABS lights (both) blink alternately as soon as I turn the bike on and as long as it runs. And last, the brackets lifting the windshield pop out and don't lift the windshield up. My unskilled examination indicated that there seemed to be something missing or broke that would hold the brackets in their place. I bought the bike used so would really appreciate help. Thanks

·
Registered
704 Posts
Flashing ABS lights usually mean low brake fluid. If the windshield pops out, the plastic bracket is probably broken. Unfortunately, the bracket is not sold seperately, but as an entire unit including the gear box and motor, new for $485 from BMW. You might be able to find one on eBay. Good luck!

·
Registered
107 Posts
The flashing may be a low/poor battery condition as well as the low fluid level.

Is there anyway you could post a picture of the windscreen bracket so we could have a look?

Check the classifieds here and ebay for manuals.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
The 2000's don't have fluid level monitors, so low fluid can't be the blinking light source.

Likely possibility: Check/clean the ABS sensors -- accumulated dirt will interfere with their ability to generate the pulse signals the ABS system needs.

Next: The low battery is a common source of the lights. If the battery isn't too weak,one way to confirm this as the source of the problem is to start (getting the blinking lights), ride for a couple minutes, then restart the bike (even better, kill the engine when you're rolling (in a safe place!), and bump start it. If the lights are gone, it's the battery getting weak.

Other possibilities:

If one wheel is rotated with the other stationary while the ignition is on, the system will throw a code.

A damaged or disconnected sensor wire can also cause the problem. If your speedo is intermittent and the cruise won't stay engaged, the rear sensor wire may be chaffed at the swingarm fitting where it is ziptied to the rear brake hose.

Report back on what you find -- we can speculate all day with more clues :)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
pwwoolsey said:
I'm new to this site and am anxious to get some help with 3 items. I need an owner's manual for my 2000 1200klt. My ABS lights (both) blink alternately as soon as I turn the bike on and as long as it runs. And last, the brackets lifting the windshield pop out and don't lift the windshield up. My unskilled examination indicated that there seemed to be something missing or broke that would hold the brackets in their place. I bought the bike used so would really appreciate help. Thanks
I had a low speed crash once that caused the lights to wig wag. The computer had to be reset at the dealer. The lights can also mean the ABS pump is kaput, so best to get to a dealer and have them run the tests. [edit: That is after checking the sensors as suggested by the other experts!] For the windshield, pull it off by removing the little covers, pulling at them from the inboard side, then remove the instrument panel cover. There are six screws on the outside, and one behind the map light. Then you might get a clue what is going on with the windshield actuator. If you need more help don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you get to needing a windshield adjustment motor, PM me - I just happen to have one. It does not have the adjuster arms, which is usually what breaks. Chicago BMW sells parts at 20% off and as someone else replied, there's always E-Bay. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should have said that I am in Puerto Rico and the BMW dealer doesn't have the necessary equipment to reset the lights. A 'former' BMW mechanic told me the system is working ok but I need to have the system reset somehow. I have read about a way to do it by jumping wires under the seat but don't want to mess anything up. The mechanic also told me the system was working ok even though the lights are on. Could that be true? Thanks again - Phill

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
pwwoolsey said:
I should have said that I am in Puerto Rico and the BMW dealer doesn't have the necessary equipment to reset the lights. A 'former' BMW mechanic told me the system is working ok but I need to have the system reset somehow. I have read about a way to do it by jumping wires under the seat but don't want to mess anything up. The mechanic also told me the system was working ok even though the lights are on. Could that be true? Thanks again - Phill
On my 2001 when the lights are wig-wagging, it means the ABS pump is not operating. The brakes will still work thankfully. Test this by accelerating to about 20 or 25 mph. Then stomp the rear brake (not linked on a 2000 model). If the wheel locks up and slides, you know the ABS is not working. And don't let off the brake until the bike stops. Ride it out. Letting off the brake when the wheel is cocked to the side will result in an ejection. This is what they teach in the motorcycle safety course here. The only way to reset is to run the diag with the Moditech, at least as far as I know.

Disclaimer: Professional driver, closed course. Obey all traffic laws. Offer not valid in Oklahoma. Your mileage may vary. Insert other legalese here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts