BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well being warm year round here in balmy Houston (we just had about a week of ~80 degree weather before a cool front on Sat.) . I really dont get that much cold riding experience .

I took a nice ~180 mile round trip yesterday with temps in the 40's and 50's and it was sooo nice. Finally got to use the heated seat and grips a bit (though not much) . Its really amazing how good the fairing is at keeping the cold air off of you.

I honestly dont know HOW I could live without a few things this bike has ever again: Cruise control is a must and so is an electric windscreen (HOW this is left OFF the 'Wing , I dont know- what a really convenient thing to have).

Really love this machine.....amazing at how well it hustles around corners for such a large ride (sooo much better than ANY cruiser).

Only things that need improving are : crawling speed handling 2 up and loaded can still be intimidating, could use more low end power (though you can NEVER have enough power), could use a 6th gear , power servo brakes are grabby, needs better light. The newer '05 up models are definitely improved with more top end power, much nicer gauges/computer set up, slightly better lighting, and the really cool electro hydraulic center stand.

What a nice ride on a perfect day on a great bike ....... :bmw:

·
Registered
607 Posts
You call that cold??

Shriker said:
Well being warm year round here in balmy Houston (we just had about a week of ~80 degree weather before a cool front on Sat.) . I really dont get that much cold riding experience .

I took a nice ~180 mile round trip yesterday with temps in the 40's and 50's and it was sooo nice. Finally got to use the heated seat and grips a bit (though not much) . Its really amazing how good the fairing is at keeping the cold air off of you.
Cold riding experience? Temps in the 40's? You STILL don't have cold riding experience!
You'll really start to appreciate the heated grips and seat when you go riding when the temps are in the teens.....

·
Registered
198 Posts
You're right, great bike in the cold. 40's and 50's doesn't qualify though. Rode to work 3 of 5 days last week. The warmest day it was about 25. 70 mph on the freeway and it was still comfortable.

Heated grips rock! First time I've ever had a bike with them and I'll never buy one without again!!!

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Tat_n_Telle said:
Cold riding experience? Temps in the 40's? You STILL don't have cold riding experience!
You'll really start to appreciate the heated grips and seat when you go riding when the temps are in the teens.....
Hey in Houston 40 degrees is COLD !!!! :histerica

·
Registered
92 Posts
I also agree with you about how well these bike make driving in less than optimal riding conditions. :eek:
I purchased my 2006 LT December 26th 2005 and in January the wife and I took a 450 mile ride from Albuquerque to Tucson for the 600 mile oil change. 5:30 am it was 23 degrees :eek: . We had no heated clothing. Not being a weather man I think driving 75 miles and hour @ 23 degrees makes the wind chill factor about 345 degrees below zero :think: , OK it should have felt that way. Also I noticed another great safety feature built in to the LT. I kept trying to set the cruise control. It would set then turn off. Then I noticed a snow flake on the instrument panel. GEE :crazy: do you think BMW doe's not want you on cruise control when there is freezing conditions :histerica They think of everything to make Joe public safe.
Any way enjoy... It was 75 degrees when we showed up in Tucson...
ps Iron Horse BMW is also a great place to have work done....

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Shriker said:
Really love this machine.....amazing at how well it hustles around corners for such a large ride

could use a 6th gear :bmw:
I agree with everything you like about the LT
but the six'th gear thing puzzles me,

my LT doesn't "come alive" until it gets up around 4000 rpm, and
I generally don't shift into 5th until about 60-70 mph.
and I've been guilty of running along at interstate speed
and then realizing I'm still in fourth gear.

I know y'all in Texas like to "cruise" but how fast do you want to ride?

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Shriker, Hans is right.. gotta let her "sing"... "low" RPM's for this bike are around 2200.

Things don't really "come alive" until over 3500... then.. just hang on.. oh, dont' worry about the "loud pipes"....because you'll be laughing too loud to hear them.

If you want to wake it up, try the Rhinewest kits...

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Shriker,most of your points are true. The lights are bad. Since you are in the Houston area maybe we can get together and do something about it. I can probably find HID parts in the garage to upgrade yours.

Dan Martin

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
katnapinn said:
Hey in Houston 40 degrees is COLD !!!! :histerica
LMAO :histerica How true.....hey man , we break out the ski's and close down the city at the slightest flurry.....that and everyone starts driving crazy......we really dont know what to do in snow/ice down here!

Silverbuffaloe....I agree and generally with the smooth motor I let her rev more as well for best power (good midrange) but its always nice when loaping down the highway to have a tall gear (better mileage, less engine noise, less vibration -though she is pretty smooth anyway). I find myself usually at an indicated 80-85 or so most of the time (in the right setting of course).

Dan, I appreciate your offer . Let me know if you get an urge to dig in the garage! Thanks....

·
Registered
185 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
I agree with everything you like about the LT
but the six'th gear thing puzzles me, . . . but how fast do you want to ride?
I've got a 20 mile or so stretch of the famous unrestricted autobahn right near my house. I'd sure like a 6th gear! :) Then again, I'm not sure the K has enough torque to push the bike much over 135 mph. Darn it, I'd sure like to try though! :p

Oh, and Shriker, the highs have been in the 20s with lows in the low teens here for the last couple weeks. I'm totally in agreement. The LT is the best cold weather bike I've ever owned, too!

*note: I don't ride after dark around here when it is this cold, though. It is very humid here and all of the bridges frost over after dark. Daylight sun keeps'm clear though.*

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, we all agree that the bike is great in cold weather. When you live in Houston 40 is cold and 90 is just about right. Here in New England, a late Fall ride starts with temps in the low 20s. Turn up the grips, the seat and the vest and all is well with the world. Now we just need to figure out how to get the LT to handle in snow and ice. :confused:

We have had more snow in December than all of last year. It isn't even the end of December and I'm jonesing for the bike. Why else do we log on to these sites. Misery loves company! Sitting on the bike in the barn with all the snow around really looks stupid...that is why I close the door.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bikerberger said:
Ok, we all agree that the bike is great in cold weather. When you live in Houston 40 is cold and 90 is just about right. Here in New England, a late Fall ride starts with temps in the low 20s. Turn up the grips, the seat and the vest and all is well with the world. Now we just need to figure out how to get the LT to handle in snow and ice. :confused:

We have had more snow in December than all of last year. It isn't even the end of December and I'm jonesing for the bike. Why else do we log on to these sites. Misery loves company! Sitting on the bike in the barn with all the snow around really looks stupid...that is why I close the door.
Houston may be tough in the summer (HOT) but the winter is great with very few nights getting below freezing. We can ride in decent weather year round.....I feel for ya....I will try to do a few miles for you this weekend ! :bmw:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts