BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SanJuan2 (Brian) had a mishap this morning leaving NY City. :( Details are sketchy and he will post in a day or so. Brian is a little sore (wrist and back), but is otherwise ok. He says the riding gear worked well to protect him. :) His LT suffered rear, right side and front cosmetic damage as well as a damaged headlight assy. BMW of Manhattan is doing repairs to get him back on the road.

Brian's account of the accident goes something like this:

"People were merging and cars ahead stopped. I hit the binders and came to a stop with clearance in front. The Jetta behind me hit me going about 20mph. The hood on the Jetta is pealed back and sustained a lot of damage. My backrest and bags strapped onto the passenger seat gave me support as I lurched forward hitting the car in front. I bailed off the bike and rolled. I looked for more cars and got out of the way."

As I said earlier Brian will post his story when things calm down and he can get to the internet. He took some pictures and will post those too. He wanted all of us to know he is ok, and emphasized that the "frame tabs" are intact in case anyone wanted to know.;) He is a man with a sense of humor without end. :)

Brian, man we're all glad you're ok. Finish your ride and get on back here to the Northwet where you belong!:eek:

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Brian,
Go to hear your mostly OK, get checked out if you can and don't forget to replace any damaged gear too. Here's wishing you a safe return :beer::beer:.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
unleashd said:
That sux......Isn't he on the trip from the NW to the NE??
Right. He was leaving NY this morning for Pennsylvania to visit more family. He'll make that trip later today. He will also make a stop in New Mexico on his way home (if the LT and his body hold up).;) He's tough, he can take it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Glad You're OK

Brian,

Very sorry you had to be the one in front of that Jetta, but really glad you are OK. I hope you can take it easy for the remainder of the trip. We look forward to hearing everything over a cold one.

Take care.

Dan

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
Glad to hear Brian is mostly OK. I was reading his trip log very early this morning...
Prompt recovery to him and the bike!

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Brian, get that Jetta's insurance to make a new LT for ya buddy! Glad you're OK, but please do make sure that you get a thorough check-up just to be sure. Especially if you plan to finish your trip on the Bike.

Nice to know those ABS brakes work. Too bad they can't stop the idiots behind you though!

We're pulling for you back here buddy!

John

·
IBR# 366
16,589 Posts
Bummer, Brian, glad you're (mostly) OK. You can always fix the bike, or replace it. ;)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Brian,
Bummer Dude!
Glad that the damage to the bike and especially you, appears to be minor, but still a bummer "triptus interruptis". Heck maybe you can finagle a new bike (GT?) out of it!
Jeff

·
Registered
866 Posts
Brian,

So sorry to hear about your traumatic get off - Hope all goes well and you can continue your trip back home to us in the Northwest...

If not, there is a lightly used 2005 with 8k for sale here in WA for
$14,900.00 in the Spokane newspaper want ads !!!

Tough way to get a new bike tho!! Hope all your body parts are intact and working !!!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
meese said:
Bummer, Brian, glad you're (mostly) OK. You can always fix the bike, or replace it. ;)
thanks to all for the well wishes, And Ken, I have not clicked on your link in your post. At my weakened condition doing so may prove to be very expensive!!! I will continue with my journey story when I get more time. I have decided to spend another day here in Pa. riding the hills with my cousins S.O. Ernie's call of the mishap was right on. The surface streets of downtown NYC are a war zone for large motorcycles. While waiting at Manhatten BMW the guys working their were telling me all their horror stories. Luckily I felt no nervousness when I reentered the city streets to do battle. Anyway, The dealer slipped me in, and after 6-7 hours I was back on the road with a new headlight assy and rear tire(just worn out) and 1k lighter in the wallet. One of The mounts holding the headlightlight were broken so the mech taped the light in place. It was pointing to the stars and annoying truckers as I passed them. I spent some time this morning redoing it and now seems secure for the ride home. And of course pointed towards the roadway. I felt really bad having some one else work on the bike and seeing the aftermath I feel worse... I'lll leave it at that for now. I figure another 2k will make her right again. The bike rides just like before so I really do not think there was any structural damage. Only a complete tear down will tell and thats still 2 weeks away when I return to the NW. While waiting at the dealer a guy came in for service that has been out riding for 3 months. Everywhere from alaska to almost South America. While in northern CA he ran into some riders who showed him around a bit. He thinks it was Our very own posse group. He said some guy named flowers rides real good for an old guy! I'll write more when I get a chance and post some pic's when I get online with my own computer. Keep the rubber on the ground and keep wearing that gear, All the time!

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good Hearing from You

sanjaun2 said:
Only a complete tear down will tell and thats still 2 weeks away when I return to the NW.
YOu know I'll be willing to help with anything you need. :thumb:

sanjaun2 said:
While waiting at the dealer a guy came in for service that has been out riding for 3 months. Everywhere from alaska to almost South America. While in northern CA he ran into some riders who showed him around a bit. He thinks it was Our very own posse group. He said some guy named flowers rides real good for an old guy!
At least the guy is a good judge of (a) character...:histerica OK, just kidding...:p

sanjaun2 said:
I'll write more when I get a chance and post some pic's when I get online with my own computer. Keep the rubber on the ground and keep wearing that gear, All the time!
We agree. There can't be enough emphasis in riding with ATGATT! :bmw:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Whoa

Hey Brian;
Get better soon my friend!

Happy you didn't get hit by oncoming traffic when you were down.

If you need a hand with anything or need anything on this end let me know.
Ian

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Brian,

Glad to hear you're alright. That's no fun, but as trite as it sounds, it sounds like it could have been a lot worse if you hadn't had the presence of mind to look for--and stay out of the way of--oncoming vehicles when you hit the pavement! Take care, and ride safely back here to God's country! ;)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Brian,

Glad to hear you are back together than able to continue the ride!!

When heading home if you coming past spokane let me know - you have an open invitation to stay at the Hacienda ..........

·
Registered
362 Posts
sanjaun2 said:
thanks to all for the well wishes, And Ken, I have not clicked on your link in your post. At my weakened condition doing so may prove to be very expensive!!! I will continue with my journey story when I get more time. I have decided to spend another day here in Pa. riding the hills with my cousins S.O. Ernie's call of the mishap was right on. The surface streets of downtown NYC are a war zone for large motorcycles. While waiting at Manhatten BMW the guys working their were telling me all their horror stories. Luckily I felt no nervousness when I reentered the city streets to do battle. Anyway, The dealer slipped me in, and after 6-7 hours I was back on the road with a new headlight assy and rear tire(just worn out) and 1k lighter in the wallet. One of The mounts holding the headlightlight were broken so the mech taped the light in place. It was pointing to the stars and annoying truckers as I passed them. I spent some time this morning redoing it and now seems secure for the ride home. And of course pointed towards the roadway. I felt really bad having some one else work on the bike and seeing the aftermath I feel worse... I'lll leave it at that for now. I figure another 2k will make her right again. The bike rides just like before so I really do not think there was any structural damage. Only a complete tear down will tell and thats still 2 weeks away when I return to the NW. While waiting at the dealer a guy came in for service that has been out riding for 3 months. Everywhere from alaska to almost South America. While in northern CA he ran into some riders who showed him around a bit. He thinks it was Our very own posse group. He said some guy named flowers rides real good for an old guy! I'll write more when I get a chance and post some pic's when I get online with my own computer. Keep the rubber on the ground and keep wearing that gear, All the time!

Brian
Glad to hear you are not seriously hurt.
Be safe on return trip home.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Glad you're OK, hope your ride home is uneventful. I won't even drive a cage in NYC, you've got to have serious balls to ride in NYC, anyone that can handle that traffic has my respect. Traffic in NYC is a full contact sport.

·
Registered
69 Posts
WOW, Sorry to hear about your mishap Brian. We have to much work to do here for that kind of deal :cool:. Ride home safely and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. Be safe!

Larry Norris

1 - 20 of 35 Posts