BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the GTL since March and I'm pleased with almost everything about it BUT my wife has been complaining nonstop because she isn't as comfortable as she was on the LT.
She doesn't like sitting higher, gets too much wind, has a hard time climbing on and off, has less room fore and aft, can't reach the grab handles, and most importantly hates the seat. The feeble sides with no support mean that the grab rails are pushing into the back of her thighs and she is miserable after a hundred miles or less.
I'm considering a Bill Mayer saddle but don't want to have the bike out of service waiting for the seat to travel back and forth. Also it seems like in order to get the side suport the seat is going to be quite a bit thicker which will put her higher into the wind and exacerbate the mounting/dismounting problem. I did add some foot peg risers but she claims that only made it worse.

Other than replacing my spouse, which would be way too expensive, any advice or suggestions?

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,994 Posts
I have a extra LT I can trade you straight up. Actually I have two LT's so take your pick problem solved. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
The K1600's are not for everyone and a relativity new, low mileage K1200LT might be in your future. There are many available.... I really did like mine ! It would be hard to go back though..

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm thinking a more comfortable saddle might help the "rear" situation, perhaps enough to compensate for the wind that I doubt any windshield will fully remedy. A dozen roses and a new riding jacket might not hurt either.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
The Cal-Sci windshield helped a LOT here to. MaMa is mucho happier now. Next will be the new seat this winter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Several times she has suggested I go visit the dealer and get the LT back, but the GTL is just so damn nice!

I see solo trips in my future.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I haven't even sat on a K1600 yet but the rear passenger accommodations
look an awful lot like the K100LT that I had
and my wife's complaints were similar to your wife's issues,

but I do have a solution to your dilemma,

you need one of each an LT and GTL

Glad I could help.:wave

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
Glad I could help.:wave
Hans, there are so few such as you willing to step up, shake someone by the lapels, and offer truly life-altering helpful advice.... GREAT job! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alas the rules in our household are that I can have as many motorcycles as I have wives, and I sure don't need another wife.

I've tried to get her on her own bike for several years now, but she has no interest in learning to ride.

·
IBR# 366
16,574 Posts
It's a BMW. It needs a seat and a windscreen. :bmw:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ditch the witch :) ,tough situation,hope you find a solution...by the time you buy seats, windshields etc. it might be cheaper to divorce :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Get somebody else with an LT to take her along on rides with you.... :histerica

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Problem solved - sort of.

I just started talking about trading the GTL for an Electra Glide, and as soon as I asked her if she wanted to come along on a test ride, she quit complaining about the Beemer.

I guess she didn't want to get any tattoos! :D

I'm still planning on upgrading the seat and I have a cal Sci windshield on order, so perhaps harmony will be restored.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My wife rides her own, but the few times that my wife rode with me on my GTL (CalSci windscreen and Russel Day-Long seat), she said it was the most comfortable motorcycle that we'd ever had, way better than either of my Goldwings (the 'wing's sound systems were lightyears ahead though!)

When it got to where she was almost always riding double with me because she liked mine better than hers, I made the mistake of commenting that I like to ride solo occassionaly. She traded her beautiful low mileage RT for a GTL of her own the following weekend. When will I EVER learn to keep my mouth shut? :rotf:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
meese said:
It's a BMW. It needs a seat and a windscreen. :bmw:
CalSci windscreen, Kontour seat upgrade. Best money you will ever spend. Mama will be happy and act accordingly :D

·
Registered
659 Posts
ka5ysy said:
CalSci windscreen, Kontour seat upgrade. Best money you will ever spend. Mama will be happy and act accordingly :D
Does the CalSci really knock down the wind for the passenger? I'm considering that one or wait for the aero flo reviews when that goes into production. My girlfriend really gripes about the wind too...the labrador doesn't mind though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts