BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 1,000 miles, I realize that either the Remus exhaust system or the bike goes . . . . . just waaaaayy too noisey for me (and passenger). I will be picking up a stock exhaust this week (assuming I get over the flu) and would like to install the OEM system this weekend.

Before I get everything apart and find out I need that one $2 item (which has never happened to any of us :) right?), anything I need to pickup from the dealer BEFORE starting on the replacement; i.e., exhaust manifold gasket, etc.?

Thanks

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Andy-SC said:
Well, after 1,000 miles, I realize that either the Remus exhaust system or the bike goes . . . . . just waaaaayy too noisey for me (and passenger). I will be picking up a stock exhaust this week (assuming I get over the flu) and would like to install the OEM system this weekend.

Before I get everything apart and find out I need that one $2 item (which has never happened to any of us :) right?), anything I need to pickup from the dealer BEFORE starting on the replacement; i.e., exhaust manifold gasket, etc.?

Thanks
Click here and then click on the 'exhaust system' in the left column, then click on the thumbnail and it'll pull up an enlarged pic with the itemized parts below and costs. I've never done an install, so can't help there, Andy. I think it does take a lot of "hold your mouth just right", and maybe a BFH!!! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Remus

Wanna sell the Remus? If you haven't already. Let me know? Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RaffyK said:
have you done the exhaust extension that eliminates some of the Remus noise? This was discovered by Scott (motorhead). It's a tube extension that is inserted in the exhaust end.
Raffy,

I looked at the mod but to be honest, the reason I got the LT was for a ride on a precision piece of machinery. When your radio is drowed out around town from the sound of the exhaust, something has to change.

I had a Kawasaki Voyager before the LT and it was way quieter than the LT currently is. I know that the weight and possibly power is a reason to change exhaust systems but the noise does not outweigh the advantages at least in my book . . . . . bad when the wife and kids say they wish I had the Voyager back . . . . none want to ride on the LT as it currently sites. I have not owned a bike in the last 20 years that rumbles like this one does.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Exhaust woes

When I had my 1150RT, I replaced the stock exhaust with a Staintune. Within a few weeks I wished that I had not made the swap; loud and I lost top end grunt.

My LT sounds great just the way it is.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Lots of used for sale...

Andy-SC said:

Thanks
You can probably pick up a good used one for around $100.00. Many have been offered. I actually gave mine away when I replaced it with a Remus.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
How about a swap???

dandiver said:
You can probably pick up a good used one for around $100.00. Many have been offered. I actually gave mine away when I replaced it with a Remus.

I have been looking for a Remus for my k1200lt for some time. My stock exhaust is in prefect condition...looks like new. Now, why couldn't we work out a trade? Call me at 704-280-1971 to discuss. I'm very interested.
or if interested, just OM me through this site

Thanks again
Jack Homesley

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dandiver said:
That ws my intent . . . . . hopefully I can pick one up locally. The purpose of the post was ensure that I did not need any parts which were not obtainable after the dealer closed. Been there a number of times where that 1 hour job turns into a 4 day ordeal making trip after trip to the dealer for $2 parts.

Went through that with replacing the front fork springs on my Voyager XII. An hour job IF you know what you are doing and have the simple parts & tools. 5 days later I had her back on the road . . . . . but I wound up doing the job for several other Voyager owners after learning those lessons and got it down to about 40 minutes total.

Andy

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Do yourself a favor and do the $2 farkle that Scott (Motorhead) pioneered with the tube extension that you put in the end of the REMUS exhaust. It cuts the noise down dramatically. I have it stuffed in the end of my pipe and it works like a damn.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Anyone know how to modify our stock funky muffler so that the exhaust fumes blow out the back (the way the pipe looks like it should do) and not down to the ground as it does?

I am always getting jibed by my friends about it. LOL

·
Registered
610 Posts
and it leaves black spots on you garage floor where the exhaust blows!

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Something has to change but what?

I don't have a Remus and don't know what it sounds like. Changing back to stock maybe the solution.
But I will say listening to the bike's speakers instead of an "in-the-ear" noise reducing speaker is one way to ensure low fidelity.
You might try the Remus noise reducer others are referring to and some ear buds. You'll save your ears, get better sound, and save the hassle of changing out your exhaust. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Andy-SC said:

Thanks
Andy, do you know if the bike also has the Rhinewest chip in addition to the Remus? If so, I believe they are paired up for performance, and reverting to the stock exhaust without also reverting back to the original chip may be detrimental to the bike's performance and MPG. Just my dos pesos!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CharlieVT said:
I don't have a Remus and don't know what it sounds like. Changing back to stock maybe the solution.
But I will say listening to the bike's speakers instead of an "in-the-ear" noise reducing speaker is one way to ensure low fidelity.
You might try the Remus noise reducer others are referring to and some ear buds. You'll save your ears, get better sound, and save the hassle of changing out your exhaust. Just a thought.
Charlie,

Appreciate the suggestion but I find it easy enough to get distracted riding without cables and earplugs . . . . . I've riden for 35 years and other than a Goldwing and the Voyager XII that just went out to make room for the LT, I have lived without a radio. I am not expecting Bose quality sound but when I can not even hear the sound over the exhaust, it seems something is amiss when compared to the past two bikes where some road noise and a bit of wind was all that one heard other than the radio. I might be an outlier but even the intercom on my Voyager never got hooked up . . . . rather not have the helmet connections and sound piped right into my ears.

Andy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts