BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 6 blank key FOBs from ebay (probably china) that were listed to fit K1200LT's. They look like my original key as well. I had a local hardware store cut three of them and, although they fit, they would not turn. Thinking maybe they did not do such a good job, I took the other 3 to a locksmith. When I tried them....the same thing. I understand these do not have a chip in them, so what gives? Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had my local key shop match the key to a blank ... some kind of BMW car key ... look different (no black plastic) but they work great ... without the plastic, I double sided taped one to my fob ... voila ... an all in one key/fob ... and it doesn't scratch the fairing while in the ignition

·
Registered
795 Posts
I got a blank from the dealer (who was ironically able to sell me the blank but unable to cut it) and took it to the locksmith to cut. It also would not turn in the ignition but worked fine in the bags. I have found that if I jiggle it a little in the ignition it will work.

Anyway, mine was genuine overpriced BMW and not Chinese and still a locksmith was not able to properly cut it so I don't think there is anything wrong with your blanks.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Similar experience, hardware store BMW car key looked identical, but wouldn't turn.
Went to a real locksmith (he knew it was a Beemer motorcycle by looking at it) and the duplicates worked fine.

Not sure why it's finicky.

Jim H.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
Probably just need to clean them up with a small file. A good lock smith should have been able to make it work. But you need to have the bike there for him to check. Heck when I bought a small pick up with a topper there was no key for it and the lock smith brought a blank out and a file and made one at the truck.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
jrh2020 said:
Similar experience, hardware store BMW car key looked identical, but wouldn't turn.
Went to a real locksmith (he knew it was a Beemer motorcycle by looking at it) and the duplicates worked fine.

Not sure why it's finicky.

Jim H.
These keys are steel so going to a "real locksmith" (as advised by Jim H) is worth the effort. Take your bike there as well (they may need it to verify correct key cut)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Randito said:
I bought 6 blank key FOBs from ebay (probably china) that were listed to fit K1200LT's. They look like my original key as well. I had a local hardware store cut three of them and, although they fit, they would not turn. Thinking maybe they did not do such a good job, I took the other 3 to a locksmith. When I tried them....the same thing. I understand these do not have a chip in them, so what gives? Thanks
I did the same as you described above with the same results. Never got them to work as of yet. I don't think they are going into the switch quite far enough for the cuts to hit the tumblers properly. I'll bet the shoulders of the new key blanks need to be filed back a few thousenths to allow deeper penetration. (I'll give it a try and see how it goes.)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
you can "massage" them with a small file, the tumblers wear a bit as well as the original key

had a blank for my K1100 that I "cut" myself with small file

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I went to a local locksmith and they used a blank for a BMW car. Works great and it's flat and fits in my wallet. It only cost about $3 or $4.

·
Registered
103 Posts
As Patrick said, the problem is most likely due to the fact the BMW keys are made of steel, not the brass or (cringe) aluminum of most other keys and blanks.

They told me the steel blanks chew up the cutter wheel much much faster than the brass blanks do, and they cut slower, so your average hardware store kid will spend the usual amount of time to cut the brass key, and probably not cut as deeply as needed.

My BMW dealer sent me to a "real" locksmith to get the blanks cut, while this guy was rarely in his shop to do it, I found another locksmith near me, told him "these are steel blanks, I'm willing to pay more to get them cut", and they worked perfectly (and he didn't take my offered extra money).

·
Registered
475 Posts
NickHolland said:
As Patrick said, the problem is most likely due to the fact the BMW keys are made of steel, not the brass or (cringe) aluminum of most other keys and blanks.

They told me the steel blanks chew up the cutter wheel much much faster than the brass blanks do, and they cut slower, so your average hardware store kid will spend the usual amount of time to cut the brass key, and probably not cut as deeply as needed.

My BMW dealer sent me to a "real" locksmith to get the blanks cut, while this guy was rarely in his shop to do it, I found another locksmith near me, told him "these are steel blanks, I'm willing to pay more to get them cut", and they worked perfectly (and he didn't take my offered extra money).
My Chinese blanks are made of brass. The Chinese blanks are "aproximately" .010-.020 too short and that is why I think the shoulders need cutting back. (Still have'nt got around to trying it yet though.) While I'm thinking about it maybe I go do a little fileing right now. Oops! just remembered I'm taking wife to movie and will have to try a little later.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Having a senior moment & can't remember where I bought it, but my spare key is marked
ILCO X144 BMW3. It is a large flat key...had it cut by a locksmith & it works fine. However it does not have the special :bmw: black rubber imported from Bavaria for a mere $8 extra. I could not believe my dealer charged me $11 for a blank :mad:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Last night I gave it a try of setting back the keys' depth to no avail. Guess I won't be using the Chinese blanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live in a small town in NW Alabama. I had a spare key made by a small town locksmith and it works great. (About $4.00). Locksmith said that a BMW car key blank will work fine. Nice to have a spare if ever needed.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Use a vernier caliper to measure the tumbler locations and depth of the key blank cuts & you can probably figure out just what direction to modify your newly cut keys to make them work. Things have to be within a few thousands on depth for a key to work.

·
Registered
475 Posts
WaywardSon said:
Having a senior moment & can't remember where I bought it, but my spare key is marked
ILCO X144 BMW3. It is a large flat key...had it cut by a locksmith & it works fine. However it does not have the special :bmw: black rubber imported from Bavaria for a mere $8 extra. I could not believe my dealer charged me $11 for a blank :mad:
Thanks for the tip about the ILCO key blank. I ordered one off eBad yesterday for $4.75 delivered. Don't really need one but if it works I'll now have 3 keys. Found my missing FOB and key after missing for a month. Had to wire around the security system to make it work and have just left it that way. Maybe one key to hide!!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
RonHolly said:
Thanks for the tip about the ILCO key blank. I ordered one off eBad yesterday for $4.75 delivered. Don't really need one but if it works I'll now have 3 keys. Found my missing FOB and key after missing for a month. Had to wire around the security system to make it work and have just left it that way. Maybe one key to hide!!
May I ask where you found it?

Robert <G>

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I think your local Ace Hardware store will have the proper blanks in stock, but they will be made of brass. They are kept in the drawers below the "normal" keys, under the key machine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts